Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is gaming nothing like it used to be

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to agree with you Shinji. The Japanese make by far the best games. I remember my friends laughing at my mega drive games collection because it was full of japanese games they never heard of. They soon stopped laughing after they played the likes of rocket knight adventures, probotector and gunstar heroes.
    I really hate the american style of games. They either have to be set in a cyber punk future or an tolkien enviroment. Frankly I'm sick of it since Quake. i'm sick of fps sports games and rpg's that take themselves too seriously. Give me bug eyed characters and chocobos any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ah, see, Occy - I'm not talking about PC games, I'm talking about videogames as a whole. There are many factors which explain why PC games suck right now, a major one being the fact that the people who used to make good PC games now all work on console titles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Ah, if that's the case then videogames as a whole are almost certainly better these days I'd say. Metal Gear Solid II, GTA3, Rogue Leader, ICO- I can't think of a period in console history where so many great games were being released at one time. While PC games (as I see it) are in a pretty bad way at the moment, console games have exploded not only in popularity, but in quality. I used to have to play that accursed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series on my NES, not to mention hundreds of sub-standard scrollers, substandard comic-book spinoffs, etc. Gems like Silent Hill were few and far between as I remember it. These days, there are a lot of very fine console games around- many of which rival or even surpass PC games in graphical quality. And the killer for me in terms of console games- very very few bugs. Several PC games these days seem riddled with bugs- the Internet has given the lazy PC games developer the PERFECT excuse to ignore quality control- "Naaaaah, we'll patch it later!". The verdict: PC games going downhill recently, console games skyrocketing.

I'd better stop myself there, no telling where this rant'll go otherwise :)

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

All recent games are ****e for one reason...no NOSTALGIA! The single greatest thing on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    Several PC games these days seem riddled with bugs- the Internet has given the lazy PC games developer the PERFECT excuse to ignore quality control- "Naaaaah, we'll patch it later!". Occy
    Agreed :mad: (Tribes 2 being a perfect example of this)

::"Get it out there"
    :>"But it's full of bugs"
    ::"Who cares, it's an FPS, they'll love it"

- :eek:-:mad: -

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement