Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft slips to warez monkies

Options
  • 13-07-2002 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

The title says it all

xprtm.jpg
    xpwarezpic.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ohohoo, for some reason I found that funny. Surprised those pics didn't turn up last September though.

I see it has the infamous "to be blocked in SP1" key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hehhee
    very good
    and the to oobe blocked cd key
    lol

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ok explain it to me like i was a three year old
    i am probably going to get abuse over this but i dont get it
    someone help me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by nanook
    someone help me

Someone made a cracked copy of XP before it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by nanook
    someone help me

Microsoft released Windows XP on October 29 2001

It's standard that Microsoft sends the gold code (final code) to get the CDs pressed (and to some PC companies like Dell) long before this so that they can actually have the product on the shelves (and on computers as a pre-installed product) on this date.

A software release (warez) group called DevilsOwn got hold of this gold code long before the release date and distributed it on the Net (initially on IRC) on August 29 2001 (actually a full month before the date on the second picture).

Therefore lots of people had the full version of Windows XP running almost two months before the official release date. The situation had been even worse with Windows Millennium, where people had the final disc over three months before official release date.

The pictures are meant to convey "haha, up yours, Bill" Not that any of us will condone such practices, but it's still funny.

There you go, the joke's just spoiled now:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement