Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.L.D.A. Action

• 10-08-2000 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

How many of yiz are affected daily by the "official" strike action of the ILDA? I generally get home at *least* an hour and a half later these days and the trains are literally crammed full (a-lá sardine-tin) right to the door with barely room to breathe most of the time.

I'm coming in on the Dundalk - Connolly line though, - one of the more affected services. At this stage I wish they'd just get it over with.

Ok- spleen vented, as they say... anyone else being put out by this sh|te?

Bard
    |home page

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I've been put out by the pickets on the bus depots - the buses I get are from Cunnigham Road garage and it is always the worse effected. Gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I fully support people's right to strike but I have no sympathy for these ILDA guys, and the longer it goes on the worse they're gonna look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the only solution in my opinion is to privatise the rail & bus tranport systems. I'd like to see how these union muppets survive in the real world.

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Agreed Gandalf!!!

I can't get home cause of it - I've gotta jump on a bus in Athlone and then drive to Castlebar. That is fuffed up stuff! Allthough I believe that one of the trains got through to Westport (end of the line) eventually!

If I ever met one of those ILDA muppets, I'd take gread pleasure in causing him severe physical pain.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Originally posted by Excelsior:
    a couple of weeks back a small number of former Aldi Supermarket staff went on strike for unfair dismissal. I stood out with them one afternoon, and they were ignored.

They weren't ignored by me, I went down there to get some stuff and didnt go in when I saw there was a picket. Are they still on strike or how has it finished?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

ahahaha castor shops in ADLI wink.gif

Yea its still on, what is it about i heard it was over workers wanting to join the union so they were sacked.

[This message has been edited by Take it (edited 10-08-2000).]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Affected by strike also. Have to take bus to Cork instead of usual train. Strangely it seems the bus is a bit quicker, at least to my destination. Still you met a better class of weirdo at the train station. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

a couple of weeks back a small number of former Aldi Supermarket staff went on strike for unfair dismissal. I stood out with them one afternoon, and they were ignored. These militant, attention seeking ass wipes go around and bring us to our knees. Cor! How angry I am!

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

When it all started, over 8 weeks ago, I thought- fair enough like- they're striking and making their point, - sure they're putting the general public out by doing so, but that's bound to happen. At this point, I'm gone beyond caring so much about the "poor little ILDA people who are being hard done by", because that's now utter ********. They've let it drag on too long and are no longer getting the sympathy or recognition that they need. They should just cut their losses and get back to work, - get the best deal they can from Iarnród Éireann, stop being so ****ing pig-headed, return normal service to the people of Dublin (and elsewhere) and leave it at that.

Just my 2 cents...

Bard
    |home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

The workers at aldi were sacked because they broke their contracts, which stated that they were not to join a union, fair enuff thinks me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Bard, I did a Donabate - Pearse - Blackrock commute for the last 14 months. These bástards have caused more trouble than it's worth to keep them on.

Is there some law stopping the government telling CIE to fire them all and hire replacements? That's what Reagan did in the states when the air traffic controllers went on strike...

The other thing that really ****es me off is their "safety" concerns - the fúckers are stopping 2/3 of the Drogheda/Dundalk trains to be cancelled, therefore we have 3 times as many people trying to get onto what was originally a far too overcrowded train already.

Bástards. Like Dav says, if I met one of these guys I'd like to have a word or 2 with the gobshíte concerning his *personal* safety...

Bard, I hope they sort it out before the schools are back, otherwise you'll really be having fun! frown.gif

Al.

PS I'm off to LA today! Woohoo smile.gif

Cyiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hum, as for the 2 above, i Think it is illegal to ban a union.. ? no ?

and for the ****ers on strike, I lkive in naas, and was worknig in maynooth. The only way for me to get out there, was a bus to town and a bus/train to maynnoth.
    goddamn ! ridiculous, 30 minutes drive trned into 2 hours.

Gav
    miffed !

It is illegal to ban unions, however if you sign a contract stating that yo won't join one, that's also legally binding.

Mind you all ESB employees sign such a contract and it never stops them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh sh|te- I forgot - the schools are back soon... utter chaos it is now - what'll it be like then??!

I'm just glad I have the use of a car this week!

Bard
    |home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I have to disagree about privatising rail and bus....unpopular isolated routes will be abandonded...not good.

Move to somewhere resembling civilsation Paul you bogman :P

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by SheroN:
    I have to disagree about privatising rail and bus....unpopular isolated routes will be abandonded...not good.

The privatising plan I heard had the idea that routes would have a rating on how profitable they are and the unprofitable ones would be given a subsidy so that someone would run the service to there.

Draco

Advertisement