Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

editing BSP files????

• 14-07-2002 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Hey
    im mapping for MOHAA and know there are programs for editing BSPs for Quake 2 and previous ,is there one for the latest Q3 engine???

I can open them fine with textpad but having some difficulty making my changes stick.

thx

Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

you cant edit a bsp easily.

you can only edit the .map file and then compile it into a bsp.
    editing a bsp isn't possible in notepad, even though it opens in it. The only way to edit a bsp (and even with this way you can only change entities) is with RipEnt. Unfortunately I dont have a link for RipeEnt atm, but if i find one i'll post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

try opening them with www.textpad.com(really good editor)
    Obviously im just using it to change entities and models.
    I want to change the DM levels to OBJ and then the masterplan is to make as many of the Single player levels Multi.

Not sure if you famialir with the game but the Remagen DM level i have edited and added some extra models ,bottle of wine small things 1st.
    I add them into a perfect grid reference ,make sure they have correct model number ,suncolor etc:
    But when i load the map (edited) one the game crashes.
    I can edit my own maps easily I have tested it.
    But its only the EA ones i ahve problems with so im exploring other alternatives.

thx for reply.
    kdja

maybe EA have encoded something into their .bsp's somehow. I know that if you compile a half-life map with the command -onlyents then you can stop other people from decompiling your map.

Maybe there's some kind of same sneaky thing done by the boffins at EA :eek:

hmm think so
    but im not really decompiling im just opening with a text editor
    i thought they were read only.
    So i opened one and copied the entire 20mb text file to a new text file renamed it and same thing(took a long time to copy that text)
    But any user made maps i try i can add anything.
    beats the hell out of recompiling whens its a stupid door error or script error.:)

Kdja

Originally posted by kdja

beats the hell out of recompiling whens its a stupid door error or script error.:)

Kdja

thats what i meant by in halflife you can -onlyents the compile. this means if you only edit the entitites it whips through the compile in like 2 seconds :D

problems? solved. :D

• Advertisement

Damn compile times suck.
    I started a compile sunday night and it still has 65 hours to go :(
    Pc barely moves when its doing the lighting.
    Someone with a Super PC should offer their services to compile maps for ppl would make a few shillings.
    €5/10 a map

Kdja

Originally posted by kdja
    Damn compile times suck.
    I started a compile sunday night and it still has 65 hours to go :(
    Pc barely moves when its doing the lighting.
    Someone with a Super PC should offer their services to compile maps for ppl would make a few shillings.
    €5/10 a map

Kdja

There is most obviously a grave error in the map. No compile takes 65 hours. Whole Maps for me compile in under an hour. Hmm... If it's for haf-life and/or you are using worldcraft/valve hamemr to map, send me the .map and i'll compile it

Its for Mohaa
    With 2.1 million VIS data size and over 6000 brushes.
    With 5 forms of exterior and interior lighting,
    Use MOhradient until GTK supports mohaa,
    This is a normal compile time for a 800mhz processor.

Kdja

btw i found a way to add to the maps by editing the Script files and placing objects in there with "trigger_use" and "target_name" it forces the map to accept them even thought they are not there.
    Very cool trick and the edited Script needs to be server side only and all clients with use the edited version of a map :)

I suck at actual mapping but i figured out the script code for Mohaa and kinda on RTCW but not really into RTCW :)

Kdja

Advertisement