Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay rock/metal artists??????

• 14-07-2002 11:33pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I need to settle an argument which went on in the pub last night.Was out with a few friends who are into chart music etc. ie .George Michael,Prince,queen etc.And of course when the rest of us who are into metal etc get pi$$ed we were slagging the above mentioned artists off.But the argument came around to Gay metal artists due to the long hair tight,leather trousers etc.Now what I want to know(to settle this once and for all) is 1.Can anyone think of any gay metal artists?
    2.I cant name any so do people think that this type of music discourages gay people from the rock and roll(cliche-I know) lifestyle that is sex,drugs etc?

Cmon some one has to sort out my pop lovin friends and show them that just cos you have long hair,leather trousers piercings etc that this does not make you gay.Their argument is based on this fact-long hair,leather trousers,piercings=gay as christmas.

Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dani Filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Some of the "glam metal" artists you find in Japan, like Malice Mizer.

Can't think of any "out" gay metal artists, mind. Then again, there aren't any "out" gay footballers either... I guess they're areas which don't encourage alternative sexuality. (Only footballer I can think of who ever came out ended up killing himself...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The singer with Judas Priest, something like Rob Halford is his name.
    He doesn't have long hair though cos hes pretty bald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

In rock you will find a fair lot of Gay or bisexual artists, Richie from the Manics(presumed dead) and can't remember the guy from Placebo are/were Bi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think the guys from Pungant Stench are gay, either that or they really take the piss in interviews.
    But other than that, and those already mentioned, I can't think of anyone.
    I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anyone.

But in response to Shinji, you should take to looking how Rob Halford is still so well respected, and I've never heard anyone critisize him because of his sexuality. So, where I might agree that metal could be an area that doesn't encourage alternative sexuality, I wouldn't think that it discourages it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Rob Halford only came out recently, but, i mean, look at his outfits, i dont think ive ever seen a picture of him not in leather!!
    Sexuality doesnt really come into metal much, its all about the music, not the people making the music, how they look or act, at lkeast in my opinion.
    But then of course your gonna get assholes like Marylin Manson, whos music aint bad at all, but he is a complete ass, dressinglike he does, and acting like he does sheerly for attention.
    Oh, i aint sure, but Tarrie B (From My Ruin originally) i think she drinks from the furry cup

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually never thought of Rob Halford.Always thought it was part of Judas Priest`s image.Dont get me wrong here my argument is that there are a lot of "out" pop artists than rock/metal artists where as my mates assume just cos you wear leather/have long hair then you are gay.As are the artists who dress like this.
    Richie

Well, that's a pretty retarded notion.

I have hair half way down my back, and I'm generally wearing leather. I've even got a pair of PVC pants. So this obviously means I'm as camp as a pink tent? :rolleyes: I don't see how someone's appearance defines their sexuality. I've been to lubs over in London where there are guys who could easily pass for women, and they still get the girls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yeah you see that is the small mindedness of friends of mine who cant get over the notion of a bloke wearing leather trousers(which I do-hence Im also" camp as a pink tent" and having long hair.Yet they see it ok to listen to a pop artist who does "lewd acts" in a toilet.MMMMMMMMM doesnt make any sense to me!

I'd say it's a defense. They don't want to be seen to like the genre with the most gays in it, so they slate another. It's say it's possibly homophobia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I have been on several occasions been called gay by many morons because of my long hair and bandanas, hemp clothing etc.

And this is what I tell them. "When was the last time you saw a poof with long hair?"

I honestly can't think of any...except Oscar Wilde, but it weren't that long. Plus, he didn't listen to Heavy Metal.

And don't slag Queen! They will forever rule your asses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Not metal but rock n roll - Simon Fowler from Ocean Colour Scene is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Oeneus
    They will forever rule your asses!

oh er....:p ;):)

and my last colonic was only yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Long hair on guys isn't gay. In fact I'd say its the exact opposite because it's shows the guy has enough confidence in his own sexuality to grow it long and as a result make himself open to such questioning.

I'm guessing that the last thing a 'closet homo' would want is having his sexuality questioned so for an individual of this kind to grow their hair long would make no sence. Plus the fact that every guy I know with long hair is straight and every gay guy I've met had short/very short hair shows this to be a likely state of affairs.

Finally, accuse me of jumping to other end of stereotypical images but If I saw a guy who had short hair, neat appearance and no facial hair acting all 'bloke-ish' then I'd be more likely to think he was gay than some scruffy longhaired guy with a goatee beard wearing leather trousers.

//

BTW, for the guy who mentioned Brian Molko of Placebo I heard somewhere that he was actually straight and was just playing it up for the controversy (ala David Bowie). Could be wrong tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Are you sure Dani Filth is gay? I'm pretty certain he is married with one kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Oeneus
    "When was the last time you saw a poof with long hair?"

It doesn't seem to happen. And I say this as a guy with a habit of fancying guys with long hair. It's generally a fairly fruitless (er, no pun intended! actually, I'll claim credit for it. Pun intended.) pursuit. I'm very puzzled as to why gay men ALL seem to keep their hair short - I'd love to know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by shotamoose:

I'm very puzzled as to why gay men ALL seem to keep their hair short - I'd love to know why.
    I never thought of that before. Seriously I didn't. I only know a very few men who have long hair, and although I don't "know" their sexuality, I'm pretty sure they're straight. Short hair on guys is generally considered more attractive (I concur :)) by both men and women. That's the general consensus, and men who grow it long do it either as a fashion statement, or they're unaware or uncaring of this general attitude. Therefore they are less likely to be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I know one or two gay men with long hair and thats it. But saying that how many people outside of metallers have long hair ? Its very rare.

Long hair is not really fashionable anymore for the average person. People that say metal fans with leather trousers and long hair are gay are just grasping at straws. They really can't think of a better insult so they revert to the easiest one. "Question their sexuality, that'll learn em "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

A read once that Lemmy from Motorhead had sex with a Sex Changer(what do you call someone who had a sex change). Is Lemmy GAY??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The only gay guys I know with long hair are Japanese.

Oh, apart from one guy who desperately wants to be Japanese. He doesn't count :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Firstly, who gives a rats ass about a musicians sexuality?

Secondly, many straight metallers will write songs about homosexuality <i'm guessing all the guys in tool are straight cause i ain't heard otherwise and it being such a big deal an all... but listen to Prison Sex dammit!> so people get that impression.

Third, I was talking to a woman yesterday who got kinda friendly with Van Morrison once and supposedly he told her that Mick Jagger was gay <who knows... maybe the bastard does like both sides of the fence eh?>. There's my gossip.

Fourth, Dani is straight. Jackass was just slagging him because of penis envy and differing musical tastes. And yeah, dani does have a wife and kid(s?) and lives in the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

There are quite a few gay punk and hardcore bands, in fact there's a whole "queercore" movement in the States. The only band from that scene I've heard that are any good are The Toilet Boys, who are as camp as Christmas but rock like motherfu ckers.

In general, the Indie scene seems to be gayer than the out-and-out rock scene - probably more to do with rock/metal's macho posturing tendancies than anything else.

I don't know why short hair became such an intrinsic part of the gay male look, probably dates back to the 70s when long hair was the norm.

(BTW I'd have to disagree about "most people" finding long hair on men unnattractive, I know loads of people who only fancy longhairs.)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I remember seeing something on the internet that showed a load of gay/bi/straight artists. I think it was groupie.com or something. Some of the lads from Pantera.com posted it taking the piss outta Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett.

Advertisement