Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie needs some help if you can!

• 15-07-2002 2:06pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We need a little help if anyone can...

We are moving hosts again because basically we're not wild about our current hosts (took them 9 hours to reboot the server on a weekend...).

Anyway, they own the hardware so we've built our own server(so we'll own it...)

Now, therein lies the problem. We currently have a dual 933 cpu processor machine with a gig of main memory.

Our replacement machine has one Pentium 3 733/256/133/1.65v/s1 processor, although the board can take 2, and its short about 512 megs of
    SDRAM ram (PC133, CL=3, ECC Registered, to be precise).

We need to find either 2 matching cpu's or another 733 processor.
    If anyone out there has one and wants to be known as our saviour for a while, please let us know. We might even be able to chuck some cash at you for it once we get a bit from Eircom and maybe even the boards beer bash...

Also, anyone who can donate memory (preferably in a 256 meg strips, I dunno if we have lots of slots left) would be worshipped as a living god :)

Once this machine is ready to rock and roll we will finally (and for the first time ever) own our own hardware. We'll also be reinstalling BSD and making it safe to give limited access to trusted code-hacking types (which is the main hold up there...)

So, anyone got any suggestions? Offers of such a processor lying about? Memory? We'll beg, we're not proud :)

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I might be able to donate a stick of memo!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

sweet (that was fast off the blocks!)

IT would have to be SDRAM ram / PC133 to be compatible as I understand it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It has to be ECC? (Not that I've got any spare PC133 ATM)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have a 256MB PC133 Stick of RAM here if you like.

I also have a pIII 733, but my motherboard would look kinda lonely without it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Hmm looks like you have all the memory you need but if anything should happen let me know.

I will buy

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=23999&t=1502&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=4&s=pl

if it will work and if my dad lets me use his credit card :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Since your not shy from begging
    Why dont you organise a

"Damn the hosts, save the boards" party

Aka the boards beer night , where everyone can come
    meet each other , get drunk and dance naked

And a lot of individuals could chuck 10/20 whatever
    yoyos into a bucket to go towards the cause as
    while not everyone will have a spare processor or a free
    stick of memory , im sure they would like to help out
    in another way if they could.
    Basically you win both ways , you get to have a good night
    with a nerd army and they pay you for it. :)

Just my 2 yoyos worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Funny you should say that....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I was only thinking last night that you should setup paypal so people can donate money to ye.
    I'm sure most people could/would give a fiver or so to say thank you.
    Just an idea

Originally posted by DeVore
    sweet (that was fast off the blocks!)

IT would have to be SDRAM ram / PC133 to be compatible as I understand it.

DeV.

OK, I'll see what I can do. Give me a couple of weeks. Can I have a custom avatar in return? :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes. And a custom tag (so long as both are acceptible :) )
    Goodies for anyone who helps.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I can get ye some RAM if you still need it.

LMK :D

Anything else on the shopping list?

crucial 256 cas2 133

if ya want it, lemme know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

GET YER RAM 'ERE!!!

[will pm u dev once i get details on how much i can get :) ]

Thanks guys, warms the heart to see people respond so quickly and positively.

We have 256 of that ECC stuff at the moment, we'd like to get that up to 1 gig as its the bottle neck on the server.
    So three strips of 256 would be perfect, but we're not choosey :)

I think Regi can throw in more webspace and a boards.ie email address too :)

DeV.

Well, my ram is non-ecc so i bow out at this point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dev, i could give u a 512 stick of PQI SD133 but it is not compatible with any other brand of RAM afaik. Otherwise i'd be more than happy to donate a 256 stick.

Let me know.

OK Dev. This is what I can get.

Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 CAS-2.5 (MY-001-CR)

How does that sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well if Lex hadn't broth my ram off me before I had seen this, I'd part with it. Its not ECC as far as I know, but I'm sure you could swap it for some with someone on buy and sell or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I don't think any of the RAM put forward so far is either ECC or registered, unfortunately (unless Kharn's stick is...). The other nasty bit of all this is that ECC Registered RAM is about twice the price of regular unbuffered RAM, and as it's a couple of percentage points slower (although because it can correct single-bit errors, more reliable for servers) than unbuffered "regular" SDRAM people building home PCs simply didn't buy it (unless they bought early AMD dual-CPU boards, if I'm not mistaken...) - the relative lack of demand for server-specific components, as well as the additional costs involved in adding ECC & registers and the advent of DDR and RAMBUS put paid to it being cheap...

What you boys are actually looking for is something like this, as you can't mix ECC and non-ECC RAM, or registered and non-registered RAM for that matter, and using ECC, Registered RAM in an uptime-critical server is strongly recommended by anyone with any clue in this regard. So, whatever is gotten for this machine has to be of this type. It doesn't matter whether it's CL2, CL 2.5 or CL3 as long as the number is equal or higher to what's there already (CL3).

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I have two sticks of hp branded 128mb pc100 registered sdram. Don't work in a normal board, but yours if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I have a stick of 128MB PC100 ECC Ram sitting around doing nothing. Its for a Compaq Proliant 1600R

Full details : COMPAQ 128MB SDRAM DIMM ECC PC100 PN: 306431-001

You are welcome to it or if you want to post the details of your Server or Motherboard if you nerds are building it yourselves I'll source a stick for you or more if I can get it at the right price.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭yankinlk

dev, post the part number off the existing piece of memory please.

That is the only way to be sure what we have to give will fit. Is the server a name brand (compaq or dell)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

It needs to be pc133 ram, this was mentioned in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

If needs be, I'll purchase you a stick of ECC RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Right... will the first week in August do?

[edit]Whoops. I just realised that if I do that, I'll be broke! :D [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have some of the required memory. Only 128mb sticks though.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Im not exactly versed when it comes to memory etc, but I can suggest that if there are any hardcore lovers of Boards out there, we can all show a 'little' appreciation for Boards by distributing little donations at the next drinkies... Thats about as much help as I can be, unfortunately...

With the ammount of people going (And with the fact that we're already paying around five euro entrance for the night) if the fee was upped just a smidgen, you'd get some much needed change lining your pockets in case there is dire need to fork out mass ammounts of Euro Paper... Think about that - Only tightwads would complain...

Ok, much thanks to everyone who replied here and offline.
    We're a bit shocked at the response to be honest!

What we're going to do is probably do a H/W whip round at the next drinks thing and then the cost of the 512 memory sticks can be shared out amongst everyone who wishes to contribute.

A very kind soul has gone and bought a compliant (we hope!) 733 processor! I'll ask them before revealing identities.

We only have 3 slots so we really want to get 256 (or better still 512) strips in there as its the bottle neck on the server.

More when we know.
    (btw I hope to be telling everyone dates for the Next Big Pissup soon, like today or tomorrow).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by DeVore
    Ok, much thanks to everyone who replied here and offline.
    We're a bit shocked at the response to be honest!

Why? Surely you know there's only 3 things on the internet - MP3's, email, and Boards.ie. Anyone who says there's more to internet is a damned liar! :D

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Damn straight...

I'll try to break the bank before going to the drinkies, but remind me about the donations - I'll more than likely be wedged in a corner, decimated from constant exposure to Bulmers, mumbling things along the lines of "Trolls, ban, post muppet of the awards month, who are you? *parp* *vomit* *garble*"

Seriously, this is the first, last and everything I check on the net (except for the odd MP3, mpeg etc) so the thought of contributing makes me wanna ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why not have a bit of a kitty at the drinkies?
    Everyone just unceremoniously throw in a bit of cash.
    there were, at a rough guess, 50 ppl at the last boards drinkies.

I'd happily throw in €15 or €20.
    Haven't gotten round to buying a t-shirt or mouse mat yet - anyone want to buy one by proxy and i'll pay you at the drinks?

When are eircom going to pay ye? Go into one of their hosting sites and "liberate" one fo their servers as compensation :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does it have to be a single stick of 512, how many slots do you have open? I buy stuff an ebay and flog it over here, i can keep a look out for you. Any idea on what you can pay? (Sound like a scrooge, don't I) I've seen sticks of 128 going fot about 25, most only ship to U.S. though, i'll check out with some of the people I buy from, see what they have...

Oops, already answered the question about the slots..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by seamus

Why? Surely you know there's only 3 things on the internet - MP3's, email, and Boards.ie. Anyone who says there's more to internet is a damned liar! :D

YEAH!!

/me hides vast donkey pr0n collection

heheh Mp3's, Mail and Boards.ie ... :)

yeah, I think we'll do the whip round idea and even the entry costs to the drinks will help pay for stuff! (plus the recent ads blitz).

The reason we want 512 strips is not that we are being beggars and choosers but we have 3 slots free so we can get between 768 megs memory and 1,536 megs memory. Now memory is the key, the more we have the faster the server runs so hence our desire to get the most into our three slots.

Again hopefully I'll have a place for the drinks thing organised today and we'll have the awards ceremony there maybe?

DeV.

Advertisement