Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie requires skillz

• 15-07-2002 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Alan I'm sure you've explained this a million times but I'm gonna ask anyway. How the **** do I start mapping. Preferably the basics and in English too, not computer garble :) Please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Is there any specific things you need to know? What game do you want to map for and do you have all the tools you need?

Start from the basics of creating rooms then move onto creating full levels. After which learn how to make nice looking maps while keeping the rendering speeds down. Then learn how to add entities and do scripted sequences.

There is a post with a good few links to tutorials and some good resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Right so. CS is my game and I have'nt a clue about tools, which is why I asked :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Quark is probably the easiest tool to use, and valve hammer tool is probably the best, consequently i cant remember the links, u'll find them somewhere on tis board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51568

The top links, ie valve-erc.com go through everything in good detail.. everything from setting up WC to compiling to making rooms etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

dont believe the rumours, quark is the least restrictive for a mapper to use and, in my opinion, the most newbie-friendly. wc gave me a hell of a time but the good people at quark made it very easy for a ne mapper to get started

i'll have a brief FAQ up soon, as well as a getting started kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'll learn ya Worldcraft @ the Galway Lan if you make an appearance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Your best bet is to start with WorldCraft not only because its the offical editor but because its more user friendly. If you decide to learn Quark you will find the change over to WorldCraft very difficult. WorldCraft pretty much follows the standard of most other level making programs out there so in the long run you will be better off using WorldCraft.

/ Me puts the huge Valve bribe in the back pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Aye i`ve got to agree that once you get going world craft is in my opinion easier to use i`ve only once taken a look at quark and by god it had me confuzzywuzzled you will find all the tools and game def files you need at those sites and remember practice practice practise and uhm dont use wall_black 2500 times in a map like someone who will remain nameless :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Look - WorldCraft is, by far, one of the (if not THE) program to start off with, mainly because everything within this program is directly linked to the actual game itself (ie. HL, CS, TFC, DOD etc) making certain things easier for you when mapping for said games... As for mapping for ANYTHING else, bar the above, I've heard that Quark is the next best thing...

WorldCraft is only hard on the user when setting the whole thing up - After that, a couple of days or even weeks if your slow minded, tinkering with the option s and you'll be away with the fairies, mapping halo's and deities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

admittley, Wc is easier for configuring for a cerain mod, but importing, accessing and using entities, models and sounds in Quark is a lot more user-friendly. anyone whose used the DoD 3.0 entities in Quark 6.2 will know what i mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement