Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs in USA

• 08-10-2000 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

now, im not sure what im looking for here so bare with me.
    i need info on how to go about getting a job in the states.
    im toying around with going over there for 2, maye 3 years to see what its all about.
    so if anyone knows about visas, getting sponsership ands all that stuff, can they post it up. also any links to job pages that they have found useful. i know some of the job pages have athis sort of info, so if anyone has seen any useful ones, again, can you post it up.
    how long does it take to get organised to go there in terms of visas, application of jobs, whats the interview process etc etc etc
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.usembassy.ie/consulate/applications.html

There is also the lottery recently but I can't seem to find the link to it.

here's another...
    http://www.iicenter.org/seasonal.html

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 08-10-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Regarding the green card, If you're going to apply for it, act fast - you've only got this month to get the application off to the office in the US, and that's for the 2002 Diversity Visa (green card) program.

You can get application instructions from the US embassy. I rang them about it and they asked me to send them a letter detailing my interest in moving over there to work. Upon receiving this, they sent me out an information pack telling me how and where to apply. The rules and regulations are quite strict regarding applying and what format your application can and should take, so its probably best to get that information direct from the embassy.

You'll get their address at that Irish US Embassy link in Hobbes post.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

http://travel.state.gov/dv2002vb.html

This you mean?

You don't actually need a form, just a pen and paper and a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought there was a visa you could get just to work, not a green card. i dont want to be an american citizen, i just want to work there for a while

yea you can. Think it's H1? not sure. You have to apply for a job in the US. One of the links I gave you explains it (look under seasonal work).

Or if your company allows it, you can get an L1 visa to work for the same company in the US branch (which is what I do).

The Green Card does not make you an American citizen btw, it just allows you to work there.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    http://travel.state.gov/dv2002vb.html

This you mean?

You don't actually need a form, just a pen and paper and a photo.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. That web page has all the info that the embassy sent out to me. I never said you needed a 'form' exactly, just that that information contained in that information pack would be quite useful for when making your application, that's all...

Thanks, Hobbes, for that link, btw- I had lost that information wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

I got this link today about the lottery
    http://www.usembassy.ie/consulate/dvpresslrelease.html

Originally posted by Kharn:
    Niall, any joy or good news on that front since I was talking to you?

Nada, Dav- unfortunately. My one way of getting there is a job with a company that DONT mind doing all the papyrus work and sorting out the visa, and they're not easy to find.

Other than that it's wait till 2002 and take my chances.

Bunch of ar$e frown.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    yea you can. Think it's H1? not sure. You

Or if your company allows it, you can get an L1 visa to work for the same company in the US branch (which is what I do).

hmm, is that the sponsership thing?
    i didnt think it had to be the company you are with now?

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    hmm, is that the sponsership thing?
    i didnt think it had to be the company you are with now?

AFAIK, you have to be with a company for a year before they can apply for that particular visa so that they can transfer you in that way... and yes- to another branch of the same company you're in now... as usual, though, I can't be 100% sure.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Niall, any joy or good news on that front since I was talking to you?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

yo,

http://www.dice.com

is meant to be a good place to look for jobs in the us where companies offer the visa, mate oh mine got his offer that way..

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Jaysus Ro m8..
    thats a nice site.. loadsa jobs etc.. shame half o them NEED ya to have a visa first..
    ah well.. application bein mailed TODAY! for that lotto visa.. sorted.. NOICE

luv and bear hugz..

|Chiefy|...

Advertisement