Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline AGM.

Options
  • 15-07-2002 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

The Ireland Offline AGM will be held on 20 July 2002 at the Camden Court Hotel, Camden Street, Dublin 2 (see map) at 2pm (expected to end around 5pm). Detailed directions are also available on the hotel's website.

To cover the cost of the room, please bring 5 euros. This will be collected at the door.

The conference room is on the second floor and will be signposted.

Agenda
    1. Chairmans Report
    2. Future Directions
    3. Questions and Answers session
    4. Treasurer's Report
    5. Elections
    6. Any other business
    We look forward to seeing you there.

The IrelandOffline Committee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

does AOB mean order of business? and if it does what does that mean. And if it doesnt what does it mean anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by pertinax
    does AOB mean order of business? and if it does what does that mean. And if it doesnt what does it mean anyway?
    It means Any Other Business. I'll change the top posting to make it clearer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can anyone recommend accomodation in Dublin for me? Everywhere I ring is full on one or both of Friday or Saturday. Somewhere in the city centre for preference, B&B or hotel, whatever. €75-125?

Thanks,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Kinlayhouse is fairly central, its a hostel though

Are you going up, big boy?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Nah, not looking for a hostel. Hotel or B&B if poss. Still looking...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I'll be coming up from Cork to the meeting! Trying to gather a few more in too...

I dunno if I'm gonna stay the night, but my buddy has a couch Adam....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Nah, not looking for a hostel. Hotel or B&B if poss. Still looking...

adam

MIght try around Abbey St. There's a bunch of smaller hotels there that generally go unnoticed by people. They're not bad. Not 5 star, but would do for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Are you going up, big boy?

adam

You'd want to watch yourself saying things like that, Adam, or people will start asking questions about what side of the road you drive on/what side you butter your toast/what side of the stamp you lick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

You'd want to watch yourself saying things like that, Adam, or people will start asking questions about what side of the road you drive on/what side you butter your toast/what side of the stamp you lick! :D

Heh...was wondering the same thing ;)...only joking Adam!

I'm a 15 year old with a rather big head - will I be allowed in or will big burly people along with the IOFFL snail restrict my access?

Originally posted by NoelRock
    .....with a rather big head

You know Noel, that could also be taken up wrong by somebody too! lol

My God, what is this forum turning into, the "Forum of Smutty Innuendos"? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'm a 15 year old with a rather big head - will I be allowed in or will big burly people along with the IOFFL snail restrict my access?

All are eqully welcome, and the snail is currently on holidays so no problems there!

Bloody bunch of homophobes. (No, I'm not, but what if I was?! I'm offended on behalf of those that are. :))

Anyway, I have somewhere to stay now, so all that remains is to figure out how to get there. Is anyone else travelling from the People's Republic?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dangger

All are eqully welcome, and the snail is currently on holidays so no problems there!

I presume you´re not referring to ME as the snail there, Dave... ;)

Anyway... sorry guys - I would love to be able to come along but yes... I am on holidays... I´m in the south of Spain at the moment and will be away until Sunday morning. I presume that the AGM will be as comprehensively recorded and uploaded in RealAudio (or whatever format) as the seminar was... yeah? ... I´ll have to catch up with it on the web site...

Originally posted by Bard
    I presume that the AGM will be as comprehensively recorded and uploaded in RealAudio (or whatever format) as the seminar was... yeah? ... I´ll have to catch up with it on the web site...
    No plans to do that, Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    No plans to do that, Niall.

Unfortunate.

Ok then - obviously there´ll be a report on the web site. I look forward to reading it.

Originally posted by Bard
    Ok then - obviously there´ll be a report on the web site. I look forward to reading it.
    Yeah, there'll probably be some sort of report. I really think, though, that you should cancel your holiday, fly back and attend. You can only get so much from a report.

You know Noel, that could also be taken up wrong by somebody too! lol

My God, what is this forum turning into, the "Forum of Smutty Innuendos"? lol

*Waves at Aidan*

Oooooh, be nice :P!

(Just wait until you see me - you'll probably gasp and mumble to the snail "He's tellin' the truth!" :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I realise a lot of time, hard work and money goes into organising an event like this and all concerned should feel pretty damn proud about pulling it off. I've always supported Ireland Offline as much as I can - I was at the first official Ireland Offline AGM, I was at the Seminar, I was at the Black Out handing out leaflets. All were very important events for Ireland Offline. But at this AGM, is there anything going to be said or done that we don't already know? Is there any need for a large turnout? Is it not all just going to be very standard and routine?

About the only thing of real importance will be the election of the committee, which has previously been unanimous voting anyway.

Is it REALLY going to influence or effect Ireland Offline in any major way?

Will it even be getting any noticeable media/press coverage – were a large turn-out would help solidify IOFFL’s image as THE organisation representing home and business internet users’ views?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nahdoic
    But at this AGM, is there anything going to be said or done that we don't already know? Is there any need for a large turnout? Is it not all just going to be very standard and routine?
    There will hopefully be an interchange of information in ways that don't work perfectly in an online discussion. People may want the opportunity to ask questions and get quick replies back. We try to get as much across in meeting reports but some things may require further explanation.
    About the only thing of real importance will be the election of the committee, which has previously been unanimous voting anyway.
    This time, of course, it will be full voting for each position on the committee. This will give existing committee members a chance to stand down and others to come forward.
    Is it REALLY going to influence or effect Ireland Offline in any major way?
    Yes, it could do depending on who is elected. Some people might have radically different ideas of how things should be done, others might want to build on existing work.
    Will it even be getting any noticeable media/press coverage – were a large turn-out would help solidify IOFFL’s image as THE organisation representing home and business internet users’ views?
    There is a small amount of media interest but we haven't sought it for this event. A couple of media outlets simply picked up on the AGM. Personally, I would like to see another seminar where the same players are called back to talk about the progress (if any) they have made. Obviously, in this case, maximum media exposure would be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Very dood points indeed, SkepticOne.

I just wanted to say what I felt some members were thinking to help them realise how important it is to go.

The fast interchange of ideas is a very important point. When you get together such a collection of highly intelligent individuals, as IOFFL members are, in the same room there's no telling what future plans/directions/good ideas that can be quickly trashed out, that otherwise may not happen. Everyone's input is very important. And we are all going to be a good deal more clued in this time round with a drastically increased membership than at the last AGM, so who knows what we will all come up this time round.

Maybe this AGM will be the most significant turning point for IOFFl yet.

In short, if you don't want to miss out on a very entertaining afternoon and you want to make a really beneficial contribution to IOFFl's future success, THEN GO!

Hi Nahdoic,

Just to add to SkepticOne's comments:

I think it's actually important /not/ to concentrate on the press on this occasion. If they want to turn up, let them, but this should be about getting organised, making sure everyone is informed, and looking to the future of IrelandOffline. As SkepticOne says, we've always tried to be as straight with you as possible, but it's just impossible to get it all across in reports and forums posts -- which we don't have a lot of time for anyway. It's also hard to get across the actual scale of our achievements, or at least what we perceive as our achievements. And finally, it's very hard to get across different points of view without getting into flame wars, as the old broadband V flat-rate doozy has proved.

Personally, I'm not even all that bothered about the "official" event, since there's very little I can do or say anyway. I feel that, just like the last time in Dublin in the pub after the Blackout, a lot more will get said and possibly even done afterwards. Before we're all drunk, obviously. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

ok... I'm getting the 9:05 train up from Cork in the morning... Anybody else on it?

Originally posted by NoelRock
    *Waves at Aidan*

Oooooh, be nice :P!

(Just wait until you see me - you'll probably gasp and mumble to the snail "He's tellin' the truth!" :eek: )

*/me shudders*

Sorry Noel, I'm strickly a butter side up man meself! :D

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend. I had hoped to be able to attend but, well, life gets in the way of the best of plans from time to time, I guess.

Still, when it comes to the election of the committee, personally I think David has done a sterling job over the past few months as chairman and I'd have no hesitation of giving him my vote to carry on in the same capacity.

*/me shudders*

Sorry Noel, I'm strickly a butter side up man meself! :D

Sorry Aidan - was watching the gay episode of the simpsons that day. Couldn't resist.

Ehhhhhh anyway - unlike Aidan I'll definitely be showing up ^_^ I'll just wear a hat I think...

Just make sure it's not an outrageous "Boy George-style" hat and something a bit more "normal" or people really will start asking questions, Noel! :D

So you mean I can't wear my wizards hat then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bah, I'm going to miss this thing due to something unavoidable that's just come up (annoying but there's nothing I can do).

I suppose the upside is that I'll miss the ritual stoning of the forum moderators.

Hope the whole thing goes well.

• Advertisement

Same here. Sorry guys on my way out the door now. Pregnancy (no, not me!) - sorry again.

Advertisement