Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duron 750 crashing

• 15-07-2002 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Stumped at this, looking for enlightment.

Duron 750
    1152 MB RAM
    Saveage3 2000 64MB GFX
    VIA KM133 MOBO
    Win2k

Crashes on RTCW and Delta Force3

Stable enough machine otherwise.

Got latest GL GFX drivers for GFX card, still no luck.
    Pretty sure its the awful GFX card or possibly dodgy RAM

No purchasing new h/w replies please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmm well since it's a via board you'd probably find more help at www.viahardware.com, v.helpful bunch :)

what version of the 4-in-1 drivers did you install?

disable agp 4x, side band addressing and install the agp driver in standard mode.

All power saving options disabled within the os and bios (bar acpi of course, or you could try disabling that also, shouldn't have any need to though.)

I wouldn't install the via ide driver or the irq routing miniport, just install the agp driver first and see how you run on that, no go, then try the inf driver, I never install that whole package in one on 2k/XP, maybe on 98se but never with the irq routing miniport first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its not my machine but the more i look at the less i know, can`t find a link(that works) for some 4 in 1 or just the agp drivers.
    UPDATE
    downloaded drivers, still crashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

take out some of the ram, see what happens. Also try some programs to stress cpu and motherboard/memory, like cpuburn ( burnbx, burnk7) etc. This would isolate the graphics card as a cause.

Tested the RAM in other machines and the RAM is ok, I mean it can play some games like OSF and DF2, but crashes onm bigger games. I can play RTCW on a 500mhz and 128MB RAM so theres something goning on. This now makes me think its either the GFX Card or some swop file badness.

Yes, maybe the ram is fine in other machines, but maybe this motherboard can't run all the ram reliably at the same time. Have you tried the duron with just 1 stick of ram?

• Advertisement

Yeah tried one stick of 128, same prob on games + really slow. Also tried the same with the two 512`s as well. No luck. Because theres a gig and a bit of ram the swop file is more than the ram, so i suppose there could be something amiss there seeing as this Duron is no world beater(64 kb cache). Pissed off as i was hoping to have this machine stable for Server-LAN action on Saturday.

Thinking of BIOS flashing here, will be working on it late tonite to get it sorted.

Cheers for the replies

If its just going to be a server, try those cpuburn programs to see if its stable outside games. A quick search for burnk7 or cpuburn in technology will bring them up. It could just be some issue with that s3 card in games.

Yeah i know what you mean Gerry, but if things get tight at the LAN, the server machine could be used to play as well, so need it to verk as well. Downloaded a GFX Bios update for the sis Card, gonna try it now.

another update: got the machine running ok, reduced it to 512mb ram and a different gfx card all seems fine so far...

Advertisement