Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File naming in XP

• 16-07-2002 4:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I have this problem with XP(worked in win98)
    If i have a text file which i rename kdja.CFG
    XP doesnt save it as a CFG file.
    But instead names it kdja.CFG.txt
    Its the same with SCR files and other such text files ,i use textpad for editing but that is the same when used in XP names them kdja.scr.txt

If anyone actually understands this could they tell me what i have to change to make it accept my .cfg as the file type and not the name.

Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

XP hides the extensions of known file types. So for example, if you have a txt file, windows will use the notepad icon (because thats what its associated with) and hide the .txt bit at the end.

To turn this (annoying) behaviour off : Open Windows Explorer, click Tools menu, Folder Options, select the 'View' tab, and UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types".

Windows should now behave itself....

HTH,
    Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahh excellent worked perfectly :)

Thx

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 paws

you can force windows to save it with a particular file name, without disabling said feature, by putting quotes around the name in the save dialog box.

paw

Advertisement