Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cont: Boards Awards + Board Request + First Steps

• 16-07-2002 2:43pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok.
    As the majority of you know, I mentioned something about running a "Boards.ie Award Ceremony" last week and it seems to be recieving a lot more interest than I anticipated, so from here I'd like to make a few announcements / requests (going on the assumption that you all still want this wonderful event to happen)

Firstly, seeing as I am but a mere peon as opposed to a godlike Admin I must ask the higher powers if they have any gripe about me running a Boards Award Ceremony, and if not, would it be at all possible to have an actual Board created solely for this award for the time being, seeing as quite a number of people pointed out that the After Hours and Admin Boards are really not the place to hold such a festivity - This board would also be able to contribute towards the selection of "Post Of The Month" and other little tiny featurettes you Boards.ie people have on this wonderful landscape, so maybe the board could outlive it's initial purpose and be a slightly valuable contribution to Boards.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that I, myself, am but a weak human being and to run such a thing on my own would be quite a hard task to endure (Taking into account the possibilites of rampant spam and trolling occuring during this event), and on that note I have gratefully accepted the aid of the sexy Humour Board monger, Davaroo, who I'd like to be the co-mod for the said board (And also one of the admins to keep the board under strict and tight check - If they have the time and energy to do so :) )

Thirdly, before the Board is created (If it is created, I should say) I would like to ask all of you happy people out there for some feedback.
    There has been quite a big list of Nomination idea's which I would like to chop down to a less ridiculous level. Does the public want the nominations to be held in a fashion where everyone is on the same level, or do we want the event to hold seperate nomination categories for Admins, Mods and the public? I ask this because I dont want people going around complaining, thinking that the Award Ceremony regards Admins and Mods as deities in comparison to average members.
    Another point that has been brought forward, by people such as mercury_tilt, is that of frail minded members who may take offense at being 'nominated' for specific awards.
    Again I will stress the point that this event is simply for a laugh - It is not something that is intended to use permanant black markers to write words like "MUPPET OF THE YEAR" on members foreheads, and have them being pointed and laughed at for the rest of their Boards life (I mean, people say things like that about eachother all the time here, so we're basically channelling this muppetry into something more... fun!).

Lastly, I would like to politely ask that when nominations are made, they are well thought out ones, not a "Hey, I hate this person, so I'll nominate him/her for [Category]" which I know will happen anyway, and as for categories, there will be no all out pointless nomination categories being used, so try to use a little brain power when thinking some up :D

...and thats about it. Thanks to all for the general support / idea's, and keep them coming.
    Seeing as Im taking this event a lot more seriously lately, don't forget that I am able to recieve PM's and emails, seeing as I find it a lot harder to read through the rake of posts being submitted in regards to the whole thing.
    Once an obese list of nomination categories have been recieved, I'll chop them up and get something going (Hopefully by the weekend if things go smoothly)

Oh, and the awards themselves...
    I was thinking maybe a custom title or something along those lines...
    Once the Awards have ended I'll be compressing all the results etc into a little flash movie so that if the board gets deleted after it has served it's purpose, we can all still have a good gander - Or maybe, if the Admins have enough time on their hands and the event is an overall success, we could have a seperate page put up on boards listing the nominations / results etc?
    The results will be quite amusing I wager, especially if they become a topic at the next Boards drinkies :D
    If the first awards go well, then I plan to make it a regular thing - Maybe every six months - anything more regular than that would result in the whole shebang getting rather boring very bloody quick.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Qualin Hess

I heartly indorse this product and/or service.

-Go Ropedrink 8¬)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think it could be alot of fun, or at least a good laugh. You have my support mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I dunno, I like to think that I can nominate certain mods for "Tit of the Year" ;)

Go Ropedrink! Sounds like a project :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Cheers people.
    PS. Dav, im just assuming you still want to help - If you don't then you know where I live / what I drink / my phone number / Shoe Size etc so let me know what you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Your ideas intrigue me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

sounds like fun, I'll post more tonight (hopefully!) and we'll work out the details.

oh yeah, admins are just normal people too so I dont think categories like "best admin" are much good, though "best mod" might be nice to recognise hard work and free time given.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Laziest mod needs to be a category too, mainly because I clearly qualify :P Science and LOTR are two nice quiet boards, rarely any trouble. As for best/hard-working, I could name two or three, but that'd be a neat category. Shinji easily gets the "most sarcastic/caustic retort by a mod award", but perhaps the formality should be observed :P

Good idea anyhow, will be a nice laugh- look forward to it.

Occy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm Occy, I think the Wargames board is the easiest mod position. Hell theres not even any new threads to mod most of the time! While you have to deal with ppl like me rambling on about the wonders of water and what it does when its very cold and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Yes I've got a few ideas.

TROLL of the Month: Possibly the Duke of Well

Fastest TrOLL banned: Possibly Duke of Well

Post of the Month: Duke of Well

Worst Moderator: err Duke of Well

Post of the month: errrr Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Clearly noone told him abour Boston :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got my vote RopeDrink.

As for seperate nominations for Admins/MOds etc...I'd say keep a level playing field for everybody.
    Anybody can be nominated for any award regardless o status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

even me, for most promising newcomer 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I heartly indorse this product and/or service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What a great idea, absolutely great. I think that this will catch on very well if run well. It will deffo need at least two mods or overseers to combine all facets of poster's wishes and feelings. You have definately got my vote Rope. (oh yeah, Ropedrink - the guy that always always gurns about a new board being created :D)

One problem I see happening is the day to day of it. If you have a board wanting suggestions for titles i.e. funniest poster it shouldn't really have posters giving names for nominations I feel. The outcome is the most important so a run up to it with main contenders may spoil the surprise of it all. I suggest that any nominations of names should be sent as PM's (moderators of the board should be given a bigger PM cache too). And maybe a top ten of final nominations in a poll that is unviewable to us but possible to vote by any of us.

And if there is a moderator prize type thing - Admin should be included as there only are 5, but maybe a special admin prize might be fun too.

Great laugh, if you need a hand I'm up for it but I'd say you'd do a spanking job on your own.

Go girl etc etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

This should have been done sooner. A few of ya's should go out for a few pints, get slightly hammered and come up with nomination cathegories.

Levels of stupidity on the boards is bound to rise now :)

I have pu t up a prize on the Afterhours board for a nomination.

No cash, just alcohmohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

g'wan rope
    remember, if we're doing a "best HL/TFC/DOD player", remember who got those crucial 30points to win against IR in 2fort... me agus you. Of course, they beat us by about 70-0 on well... *sigh*

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Great Idea, should be good craic :D.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Another big thanks to you all - Especially you Dev (Are you back from your holidays!?)

Cheers again for the feedback Gordon - I haven't seen the prize idea of yours, but I'll be writing up various threads for the Award board and we'll all discuss / decide on whats what and who's who...

Also - In regards to nominations - The fact that there will be quiet a few, I wouldn't like to risk the health of my PM Inbox folder, especially since my home net conn is currently AWOL, and if it fills up too much I may lose a few of the PM's / Nominations (I don't check them as regularly as I should, and I rarely get the chance to do so anyhow).
    Still, im sure there's a way to 'discreetly' nominate people so that things dont get too obvious on the actual award night/day/evening/morning...

Keep those idea's coming, and pray for my soul once I get started - There's going to be a lot of thread monitoring to do! 0_o

Hmmmm.
    Not only will people be nominated for certain things, I hope to have a full thread nomination section along with any other little snippets of idea's I come across...

Any suggestions apart from members and threads / Boards!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

sounds like a great laugh . nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How about a "Most likely to roffle" Award..

Have a few nominees in mind already..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by nesf
    Hmmm Occy, I think the Wargames board is the easiest mod position.

*cough* Gaeilge...

pfft :p

anyway... great idea...

I´ll help out if required. I do some audio visual big screen type stuff. Lemme know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A/S/L ?

Whoops wrong board :p

Yep sounds like a great idea.

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Haven't had a chance to read all of the above, but yes, I'm there to help j00 Ropeh!!!

So, in light of the fact that I haven't read everything, I apologise if these ideas are being repeated...

I'd ask that it be pre-modded so there's no spam :)
    If we have polls on a pre-modded board, that should be ok - no one's actually posting a message to it, but the polls could be answered. Can we check this out (DeVore/Cloud)?

As for categories, Andy, I'll be knocking about at some stage maybe this weekend or early next week and I'll give you a shout and we can whip up a few ideas with ye olde pen and paper over a pint or *something* ;)

After that, we'll post our categories to the board and disable the pre-modding on it and allow people to post their nominees (and a brief explaination why). This is when the board's gonna go mental, so we'll ask everyone to behave themselves! After a week (or less) we'll close nominations, tally up the numbers and make posts with polls to vote for teh winars! It'll be like ellection day fever all over again!

With that, we'll announce the people that have won and we'll all probably talk about it for the next month till something else happens :D

Sounds like a plan to me!

Lovely stuff Dav - tried texting you today, twice, but the damn things dont seem to be getting through...

Anyhow I spent a minute trying to lay out some boundries for the event, and I've come up with this (Just to show you Boardsters what to expect)...

Right:

The bare minimum this ceremony will be including is:

Members Awards - This'll be the bulk of the ceremony, and will include the most basic but essential awards such as Spammer / Muppet / Troller / Flamer / Ranter / and many many more...

Mod Awards - Great way to find out the true nature of our estranged moderators, and expose the ****ish bastards for who they really are ;):D

Admin Awards - After all, they deserve there own set of cuddly categories, and also a little bit of a slating in order to remind them of the fact that they are not perfect :D:D:D

Thread Awards - Funny threads, all out pointless and ridiculous threads etc will be highlighted here, and may help in the monthly selection of a "Thread Of The Month" that, these days, never get chosen until someone reminds an admin after about a year of neglect...

Sig Awards - Again, funny Signiatures, stupid signiature etc will get there own categories.

Board Awards - A chance to vote for / against certain Boards in certain categories - Might help in pointing out to the Admins what boards they created that are sheer genious, or complete rubbish.
    This will rely on Board Statistics as well as people's vote.

And that is the bare minimum (Unless people disagree with the above idea's en mass...)
    Myself and Davaroo shall soon be collecting all your idea's and smacking them around with large trouts on Sunday, so get your idea's in ASAP. No list of Nomination Categories has been decided on as of yet, so until one has been comprised, I suggest you prepare thine selves for much strangeness...

Any other suggestions!?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, get your lists together. I think some humour in them is a good idea as the publically generated ones seem to be shíte hahah.

Fewer and funnier is better then loads and boring :)

I'll create the board when you are ready to go...

DeV.

Why thank you my good man.
    When the dastardly duo of myself and Dav get together this sunday we should have a list pretty much ready by the next day or two, so we'll get right back at you once we've got a concrete list of categories etc etc

(Remind me on the Boards drinkies to buy you a pint, by the way :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I am completely against this idea! Why im against it i dont know but i think someone should be. Afterall it just wouldnt be boards unless someone was against it :)

• Advertisement

/me votes Mr. Applepie as a nominee for 'Devil's Advocate' award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Excellent,

I'm robbing DeV's idea of the biggest "Paedophile Mod" :) and suggesting it :)

am I the only female mod? :) If i am then i *demand* a section all for myself.... :P

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Sig Awards - Again, funny Signiatures, stupid signiature etc will get there own categories

What about the Boards members who have "Show Sigs" turned off?

Twill be a case of not all members being able to vote and damned if I'm gonna turn them back on.

Well thank god these points are being made before the whole thing starts...

Right then, in regards to sig's.
    It wont bea case of throwing a collection of names up, with no indication as to what they'll be voting for. Whoever gets nominated will have their Sig's in lovely bold, red text next to them - So it's basically a case of reading a collection of statements and choosing what one made you smile / giggle / laugh / choke on your cigar the most...

- Well, that is if the sig idea goes through - I just listed it with the rest of the stuff seeing as quite a few people around here have (Unknown to them) given me a few seconds of joy having simply looked at their sigs...

I will refrain from mentioning names, due to the risk of inflated heads and stand up comedy antics.

Thanking you RopeDrink.

Let the awards commence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

goods work rope and dav. look forward to it.

• Advertisement

Dav won't be doing much - He's just been hired to be my Bitch is all... The weight of the world will be resting on my shoulders alone, and while I have my arms up trying to hold it above my head, Dav'll be hovering around my groin region giving me some, erm, encouragement :D;):p

(Sorry - Im trying to assure myself that once the thing starts, it'll all be un-spammy, layed back and easy to do...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I hereby nominate:

WhiteWashMan for the Ability to start a row in an empty room award

Amp for the "FOUR BOARDS!! FOUR BOARDS!!" Attempt to overthrow boards.ie by gaining control of all of the lesser forums award

Smiles for the '...You boys...' " Ability to keep her head when all around her are shouting 'you can't have a valid opinion! you have tits!' award

Mercury Tilt for the "I was dropped on my head as an adult" award

Kharn for the "How many references do I have to MAKE to a feather boa before someone will become sufficiently interested to ask me exactly what Fio does with it" award

Mills for the Boyflesh award

Azezil for the My nick sounds like the noise you make when you sneeze award

Dustaz for the "I'm not old, it's just this birth cert" award

DeVore for the Play nicely please children award

and:

The Admins en masse for the "What does this button do?" award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

originally posted by minesajackdaniels
    WhiteWashMan for the Ability to start a row in an empty room award

Amp for the "FOUR BOARDS!! FOUR BOARDS!!" Attempt to overthrow boards.ie by gaining control of all of the lesser forums award

Smiles for the '...You boys...' " Ability to keep her head when all around her are shouting 'you can't have a valid opinion! you have tits!' award

Mercury Tilt for the "I was dropped on my head as an adult" award

Kharn for the "How many references do I have to MAKE to a feather boa before someone will become sufficiently interested to ask me exactly what Fio does with it" award

Mills for the Boyflesh award

Azezil for the My nick sounds like the noise you make when you sneeze award

Dustaz for the "I'm not old, it's just this birth cert" award

DeVore for the Play nicely please children award

Deadly!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If I don't win anything I'll go on a mad killing rampage.

I'll start with Azezil. Be warned.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

No doubt said empty room would post on admin.

If it had little room hands.

With little room type fingers.

And access to a pc.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels

Lesser you say? LESSER? The Ancient and venerable Games board is lesser? The revered and intelligent centre of debate on boards: Humanities lesser? Boards Events, the nerve centre, the very gateway between Boards.ie and real-life(tm) LESSER!!!!????! And lastly...eh..er...

THREE BOARDS!! THREE BOARDS!!

VOTE FOR AMP AS YOUR KING!!

YOU KNOW IT MOCKS SENSE!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

HAAHAAHAA! Excellent Madge :)
    (no I'm not telling what Fio did with the feather boa, but it was rather good :p)

Anyway, StringBeverage and I shall be making our selections this evening or tomorrow evening at a sekrit location known only to the Knights of Comeonbanus (and my land lord and anyone else who's ever visited me). Creative juices shall be plentiful (cause I'm going to the offy) and the results?
    Unpredictible at best...

It's guaranteed to be a laugh folks - we won't take too long to get sorted. Watch this space!

Ok, watch a space further down the page, that'll make more sense as one of us will make a new post with details of our adventures in decision making!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

[innocence]

Any ideas about having a best head of a Boards.ie sekrit society award? :)

[/innocence]

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Stony

I vote all the Tech mods for the award of "unhelpful fartypants mod".
    btw I'm rock hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Stony
    I vote all the Tech mods for the award of "unhelpful fartypants mod".
    btw I'm rock hard.

Tosser. How in ever, I agree wholeheartedly.

Gav

You agree that Stony the newbie tosser's rock hard?

...whatever you get up to in your own time's your business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Stony

looks at registered date.... does the stony dance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Well he is rock hard. Stones usually are. What's your point ? What can I be getting up to in my own time ? Do you even read your posts ?

Gav

Originally posted by Stony
    looks at registered date.... does the stony dance...

/me looks at nick: Stony
    /me looks at 'title' Newbie
    /me looks at Verb's post and finds the word 'tosser'

QED: /me stands by use of 'Stony the newbie tosser'
    Originally posted by Verb
    Well he is rock hard. Stones usually are. What's your point ? What can I be getting up to in my own time ? Do you even read your posts ?

Gav

...if I'd known it was this easy to get a rise out of you I'd have started far sooner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement