Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Takeover

Options
  • 16-07-2002 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been confirmed this morning ..... Sky Television has purchased the rights to the Sunday Mass. Although a staple of RTE for the past 40 years, the weekly Mass was poached by Sky in a negotiating coup understood to be worth several million Euro. Reached for a comment last night Taoiseach Bertie Ahern say

"Ah Jayzus I am gobsmacked"

A source close to the Taoiseach says he hopes to put pressure on the Catholic Church to ensure that the Mass will be available to all TV viewers, not just those who subscribe to Sky "at least on Christmas Day" A senior Catholic Church source said that the Church was quite entitled to make a commercial decision and to achieve the best deal possible.

"We live in a marketable society. Only the politically correct would expect us to turn down the chance to maximise our earnings"

This money will be used to develop our parishes throughout the country. It is understood that part of the package negotiated with Sky involves TV3- the Angelus will transfer to TV3. TV3 will make the most of the move by increasing the Angelus from one minute to 10 minutes and said a TV3 spokesman

"unlike RTE we'll be putting out the Angelus in prime time @ 8.30pm"

with a 70 minute omnibus edition on Sundays. RTE will retain the rights to cover Papal visits and canonisations. A Catholic Church source said the move represents a new strategy.

"Given the fall in vocations, we anticipate that it won't be long before live attendance at Mass will be untenable it will all be done over TV"

. We have been assured that Sky will bring proper production values to the job with no more than 3 advertising breaks, they have also promised to provide a first rate commentary team. Asked about the disappointment of young people whose parents can't afford SKY the church source said

"sure they can always go to mass at a nearby pub and see it on the big screen" .

RTE was unable to provide a spokesperson, it is understood that the executive responsible for negotiating the renewal of the Mass Contract is on his holidays in Lourdes !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

hehehe

tbh i wouldnt be utterly surprised :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

That was in last weeks sunday indo.I usually hate that paper(my granny buys it and i only read it if im there and theres nothing else to do)but it was a great article.:D
    And did you see DFTGs Brendan O Connor on the plan to lock priests in zoos because theyre an endangered species?
    "I dont think there will be any adverse public reaction-theres no public opposition to the keeping of hundreds of priests behind bars as we speak:D "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    hehehe

tbh i wouldnt be utterly surprised :p

Neither would I.:)

Advertisement