Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcard problems

Options
  • 16-07-2002 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm having this complete arse of a problem with my computer! Basically I formatted/reinstalled windows about 5 weeks ago and to my annoyance there was no sound upon completion. So as a result everytime I tried to open winamp or install my tv card the bloody thing kept kicking up about checking drivers.

So being a good boy scout I went through every driver installation method for my computer to get the sound back but to no result. Yesterday In a last ditch attempt I formatted the computer AGAIN thinking I must have picked a wrong option or something during the first re-installation setup of Windows 98 5 weeks ago.

But now it's telling me that it can't detect ANY audio hardware even though the bloody soundcard is connected directly to the motherboard of my computer (as opposed to just being a plug-in). So how hard could it be to detect? What the hell is going on here? Also I don't think the thing is fried or anything because It was working right before the first re-installation.

Finally, thanks for reading this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

We need more details
    I'm assuming it's a PCI card.
    Open the case using the safe method.
    Take out the card
    Look at the big chip and any writing on the board itself.
    Note all of this.
    Fire up www.google.com
    Use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think he means it's an on board sound card.
    If the pc is a Dell, Compaq etc. go to their support site, put in the model/badge number and get the latest drivers and try those.
    Check device manager in case the wrong drivers were installed or there's a conflict somewhere.
    On board stuff can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yup, could be a conflict. Have look in device manager and check for any funny symbols.

Also, if it is on board sound, have you looked in the bios to make sure it isnt disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I reckon your using the wrong driver for your on board sound, there should be a TINY little chip near it somewhere (if you don't have the motherboard manual handy) and it should be marked with something similar to ALC 1007. which afaik is the ac97 codec driver .....
    You didn't load optimal defaults for your bios or anything that may have turned it off by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Problem solved and thanks to everyone who made suggestions. It turns out that even though the soundcard IS hardwired the device manager recognises it as a PCI device! Makes perfect sense right? :)

But the main thing that threw me off on this occasion was that driver installation wizard had to be told the EXACT path of the required drivers on the CD. It wasn't good enough to just tell it to check the entire 'D:\' and its subfolders as I had always assumed.

Bloody computers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Pigman
    Problem solved and thanks to everyone who made suggestions. It turns out that even though the soundcard IS hardwired the device manager recognises it as a PCI device! Makes perfect sense right? :)

I know it's kinda confusing but it does make sense. Any peripheral integrated onto the mbd still has to be connected to one of the buses, it's just bypassing the need for an actual slot.

Advertisement