Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish game editing site

• 16-07-2002 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

I have finally started to get going on this mapping site.

What I would like to know is what people want to have on it. Ive added faqs, news, tutorials, projects and a download sectons to the site and would like to know if there are anything I should add or remove from this.

I will also have a login for staff in order to keep the site up to date and also be able to add there own tutorials online. (I i can get the codeing done).

So...whats your ideas?

and one thing.... should it be a: game editing site or mapping site?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

in the past:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44985&highlight=editing+site

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36159&highlight=editing+site

grab some ideas from there.

tbh i think it should have a link to this board, and be about game editing, judging from the fact that modellers etc (not only mappers) visit this board and would visit the site :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Aye game editing would be better. I myself do map, model, texture and a tiny bit of coding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I will also be looking for somewhere to host the site. I will need the host to have ASP support, and a folder with permissions for the Access database.. Any offers will be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

game editing, definatley, send me the quark faqs and tutorials and i'll check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I assume its CS/HL only.

Or will you be covering as much as possible??

Kdja

• Advertisement

There will be not onyl HAlf-Life, but defiantely Quake3 editing.. Thrax is the resident quake head so thats a plus :D

If needed i have written some tutorials on Radient.
    "Detail vs Structural"
    "how to resolve errors"
    "basic OBJ scripts in mohaa"
    "VIS reducing tricks"
    A few others when GTk supports MOhaa i will rewrite them and they will be universal for GTK.

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

As soon as I get home I'll talk to mindphuck about hosting on quake.ie. Mindphuck if you're reading this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... (and so on like an irritating little sister) can we have www.quake.ie/... hosting PLEEEZZEE!!!

Um you can have www.fortress.ie hosting if yas want. Oh wait one of you already did that and the site never happened ... Another failed attempt? We shall see.

I have the basic layout done of the site. Its just doing all the asp coding and making the databases thats taking the time... ill accecpt ANY hosting al long as its got ASP & MSAccess support.

If people can email me or PM me your turorials it would be helpful.. ill also be looking for staff who will be able to keep the site up to date and add news and stuff. No knowledge of HTML is needed as through my 1337 skillz (:D ) i have been able to make it so you click on a button and it will add the link code etc. for you.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dazzer
    Um you can have www.fortress.ie hosting if yas want. Oh wait one of you already did that and the site never happened ... Another failed attempt? We shall see.

that was dbc, and as soon as he got the hosting he kinda left the board...

anyhoo... i might start trying radiant, i always wanted to make a decent q3 map, buit was too lazy to learn quark

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

If there is to be a site creaed it should NOT under any circumstances be made solely for one purpose (for example HL Mapping)

If it's a group project, then it should be named "Game Editing" and cover a wide range of subjects (Seeing as there are a lot of different people with different skills around here and the site should accomodate them all) - yet if it's a project Winters wants to make for himself, then it is entirely up to him what he wishes to do with it...

If we only covered topisc like CS / HL / TFC mapping etc then the site would burn itself out, mainly because there is very little that you can say about this topic (Except show the new maps that are being made, new tool releases etc) - At least with a multi-topic site it will generate more interest and be updatable ferquently - You'll also have more people offering information and feedback to be used, thus the site will flourish, assuming that it's updated as often as possible...

Thats my 2 Euro's worth.

nail on head methinks but again up to Winters :)

kdja

So I take it I can delete www.fortress.ie/mappers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Ive been reading this alright lads.

Im reluctant to give hosting to this... again.. as jack was done on it the last time. However, I havent a problem in doing so if you make use of it really..

Soo.. if you want it.. drop me a mail plz.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Cheers MP, and yes Daz, nuke that link - It's not like it'll be used anytime soon...

I've already stated the abismal chances of a "Game Editing" site getting off the ground (Like the last rake of times it's been discussed) but this attempt here seems to have a little promise.
    Winters, if you fail us now I will personally spank you blue and call you "Charlie!" :D;)

Right feck it, I try not to get invloved in anything like this any more as I always seem to **** things up some how but if noone else makes a site then in 4 weeks time I will do it.

...and again, I will offer my services, wether it's to write up game reviews, map reviews, columns, create flash images for you to use, create anything in flash for you to use etc, like I've offered the last god knows how many times this idea has been discussed :D

Allright. I have spent the day working on this site and have been using hugh amounts of asp for it (and it also works! :D )

Now... i am not going to give up on this site as the other before have and i will keep going with it. The site is names "Irish game editing" so it will cover everything from mapping in DOD/HL to models in Quake.

I have just finished a "Download" section for the site which is a database for programs and files for mapping. None of the files will be hosted by the site but will link to the file for download.

PLEASE send me your tutorials for every part of game editing as i will need something to add to your site. If you give me stuff for the site ill put you on the staff list (No pay).

If you have any more ideas please PM or tell me. If you wanna email me: pigwithnolegs@hotmail.com.

Thanks...

can you upload what you've done so far?

I'd like to see it :D

ps, make the site colurs blue, silver and black imo:D

• Advertisement

At the moment there just: Grey, dark grey and light grey (I thought id be origional :rolleyes: )

Ill try and change em if i can. If you would like your link on the site tell me. Ive already added, quake.ie, fortress.ie and boards.ie

I will upload once i get a host. Every page on the site requires some sort of db connection (Just About) so i cant really just upload one page.

Also, the tutorials are all kept in a database. This will allow you to add your own tutorial online. The tutorials can be upto about 5 pages long...

Also..... give us some FAQs.

okey dokey. come quark and hammer faqs are on their way RIGHT NOW

Happy to announce that im at lease 70% through the site...

All the the design and layout is done and all thats left is a few pages and the coding for them. I am still looking for FAQ's Tutorials and stuff.

I AM ALSO still looking for a host! If anyone knows of any that will host the site (Its a fully database driven ASP site so win2k server) please PM me or email me or somefin.

Ill post more info on the site soon.

i sent you a name and password for 30megs web space. what happened to that??

I have a load of accounts with brinkster.... sure its free and on a win2k server but the server is ****. Its like a million years old and never works for half my SQL statements! I uploaded one of my sites to them .... all the SQL working then about a week later they dont work.... confuggleing isint it.

If anyone know or works in a proper host and can give me like 20 or 30MB for the site.. pm me or email me or somefin.... the site is nearly done so bear with me!

Advertisement