Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wonderful spectacle of Russian Justice

Options
  • 16-07-2002 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/chechnya/Story/0,2763,745429,00.html

Poor Colonel Yuri Budanov. He only killed an 18 yr old girl, who was raped (if not by him, then by his men), and now he could have to spend up to 3 years in jail! What has happened to Russia today, that a war hero like Budanov can get in trouble for killing a chechen girl? I mean it's only a Chechen fs. I think his lawyer summed it up best when he said: ""There is no great difference between peaceful civilians and fighters in Chechnya". How exactly can you be a 'peaceful civilian' and yet be little different from a 'fighter'?

Since he was charged, and throughout the phase where the serious charges were dropped one by one, there have been large demonstrations in support of Budanov. Surveys showed large amounts of ordinary Russians thought he had done nothing seriously wrong. This sordid tale highlighted again the fact that when it comes to Chechnya and their relations with different ethnicities of the region, Russians are a degenerate people. I don't really know if I believe in hell, or even an afterlife. If there is, then I hope there's a place there for Budanov, his lawyer, the faceless political forces orchestrating this farce, the members of that psych board and anyone who refuses to face the consequences and reality of his actions, and the actions of men like him. This whole episode is a microcosm of a system that allowed the criminal Chechen wars to take place, encompassing lies, racism, and politics above decency.

From the story above:
    The state prosecutor has just dropped the murder charge, arguing that Col Budanov should be freed under an amnesty because he has been repeatedly decorated for valour.

That's right, because he has previously been decorated for bravery, he shouldn't have to answer for any subsequent and individual act he does. If he robs a bank in Moscow, presumably he shouldn't be charged with that either, him being brave in the past and whatnot.
    When Col Budanov was steeling himself to deliver his final plea in the packed courtroom, Judge Kostin abruptly adjourned the trial to next week on the grounds that a colleague had fallen sick.
    No one believed him. The prosecutor general in Moscow has voiced his misgivings about the trial.
    The Kremlin and the generals seem to be getting nervous about the fallout from the verdict, which as recently as last week appeared certain to be lenient.
    The pro-Moscow Chechen leader Ahmed Kadyrov says Col Budanov may be lynched if he walks free.

Now that would be an appropriate end to an sickening affair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

****ing disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

And in America, a fella got 12 years in prison for doing a dump in a girl's wardrobe. They were both college students.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well at least he (hopefully) will do some time, many others won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lei Xiejiang

So who are the worst dictators?

Well

In America, no one was brought to answer for the murders, rapes, and torture in ElSalvador, Guatemala, Boliva, Burma, Cambodia or Laos.

Q:What fu*ked up countries have rejected the International Crimnal Courts?
    A:USA, China, Iraq, Israel, Libya, Qatar and Yemen.

Those places including China really are mean and f*cked up countries.

I wonder what's happen Russia is it attempting to turn over a new leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Even if he got the 'maximum' of three years it wouldn't deserve to be classed as a sentence. I'm sure he'll have an easy ride, plenty of bonuses and cushions like many political prisoners. It would be more honest if they just let him go. I'm not sure I'd care if the guy who raped and killed my sister got three years. It would be like an insult. Is that all his actions merited?

I agree that they are many more in his position who have done the same and worse, but this only highlights how pathetically this has been handled. All we hear out of Russia is how it's Chechen criminals and brigands who are responsible for the violence there, and deny their military is heavy-handed or brutal. Then they get the chance to show how they deal with their men who have been acting this way. What do they do? Set up a show trial and let him off with it, at worst getting some píss easy sentence with a relaxed regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Lei Xiejiang
    I wonder what's happen Russia is it attempting to turn over a new leaf?
    No, just looking after it's own and making sure he doesn't get life from the ICC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Advertisement