Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone unlocking software

Options
  • 16-07-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

hi, i have a meteor nokia 3310 that i bought
    and i want to unlock (sim-free) it?
    i have a data cable and was wondering does anyone know where to get unlocking software?
    free/easy? if poss
    Im running XP if that make any difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Sean,

You get all that kinda stuff at mobile.box.sk

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I think this was asked before....anyway...

If you have:
    • The phone registered
    • Actually bought the phone and not found/robbed it. :rolleyes:
    • Spent more than €100 in top-ups

Then you can just call meteor and ask for the NAC code. They have to give it to you, as you own the phone. It's a code you put into the phone which unlocks it and makes it "sim-free".

< Cond0r >

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

still ya own the ph anyway, no pt waitin payin 100 yoyo's if ya don't want to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I downloaded a few of those progs and they read the imei and the locks but when you press the unlock button, they just say unlocking failed? most of them are sh+te, ive tried them both on 98 and XP (dual boot!!)
    has anyone actually unlocked a 3310 with a data cable and free software?
    any help would be great!!!
    rabbitinlights

Hmmm....

Did you read my post at all rabbitinlights?
    No need to use unlocking software if the phone is legit... on the other hand if its not I suppose off you go.

< Cond0r >

• Advertisement

sorry condor, the phone is mine but id be f**ked if im paying meteor to unlock a phone, im not spending 100+ for credit just to unlock a phone, next you'll have me back buying cd's!!!, (lol)
    i cant belive after searching for a couple hours online i cant get a dcent prog to unlock a phone,
    if anyone has done so, please help!!!
    rabbitinlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Hi Rabbit,

All old version of nokia phones could be unlocked using an MBUS cable with simple software called Nokia Tool.

Most of the new phones need to be partially flashed to remove the lock from the phone. This method works by partially re-writing the 'flash' memory of the phone's software to remove the code which blocks other operator's SIM cards.

Theres some good info at:

http://www.virsa.com/

you can buy the flash cable there also.

I dunno but maybe meteor don't ask you to have spent 100 yoyo's to get the NAC. Give them a ring and find out, would save you a lot of hassle if they just give you the code.

< Cond0r >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

AFAIK meteor wont give you the NAC code until you are on the Network a minimum of 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

About a year ago I was looking to upgrade my mobile, as was a few friends of mine. Meteor had staff all over the campus handing out fliers detailing their nokia 3310 packs. Having been caught out before on mobile purchases I decided to contact Meteor myself that evening, and ask them for details of their pay as you go phones / USI offer, and I was told that after 6 months irregardless of amount spent, my phone would be unlocked (which I confirmed by ringing up again). They also directed me to their coverage map on their site.

1 year later now, having spent £100+ on credit for the phone which, contrary to their coverage map, will NOT work half the time at home, college or work (due to low signal strength!?), I applied to have the phone unlocked last week. The first person I dealth with told me that I'd have to pay them a further €1xx to have it unlocked. I explained to them what I had previously been told before purchasing the mobile, and they simply said the people at the time were incorrect.

Each of my friends have had similar experiences with Meteor. One of my friends has spent three times what i have on her mobile and they still wouldnt unlock it... next time I'll just stick with O2 or Vodafone.

<edit> if you do get your phone unlocked, please post here the site(s) where you got your cable/software/etc </edit>

• Advertisement

That site Virsa.com is savage, you need a flasher cable and flasher files, its a bit tricky but it works, i got an email from a mate who seen my post and he gave me a flasher cable and i downloaded the flasher files from the links section of virsa and i now have a fuly unlocked phone!
    they have a fully pictured instructions aswell, you cant go wrong!

The cheapest place to get flasher cables is
    www.handyman-shop.de

Go to the zurbeshop link on the left and then use the drop down bar to select you mobile. (3310) look for the multi pac of flasher cables, they have one printer port conection and 5/6 add on cables for different types of nokias!
    The cables are E29.99!

NOT DATA CABLES.

They use pay-pal for payment and are very good for delivery/payment

Obviously this only concerns people who own there phone and got screwed by a provider.

Best of luck
    sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Dont bother giving away your credit card details when you can get it unlocked for €25.
    I did and it saved me from spending €100 to please meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chico_2002

Originally posted by XbLaDe
    AFAIK meteor wont give you the NAC code until you are on the Network a minimum of 6 months.

AFAIK....6 months is a lie

Its €130 in topups or no code

The reason they want the €130 is because the 3310 they sold you for €150(ish) cost them nearly double that and then they give you €80 on top of that.

Dont get your phone flashed....its too risky ....Could **** it up.

Pay someone to do it or topup €130 and it costs nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ehalpin

A Data cable makes no difference to your phones NUC. To unblock Nokia Phones you need software called Winlock. You then need the networks NUC access code (5 digit number), you then need the full IMEI, all 15 digits of it, and than you need the networks specific software version. At the last count Nokia 3310's had 27 different software versions. You can check your own software version by typing *#0000#. If you flash the phone with the wrong software, you phone is gone, your gaurentee is fecked and every single Mobile repair centre can spot a flashed phone a mile away. A Network can only unblock their own Networks phones. Siemens / Motorolla and SonyEricsson phones give their codes directly to the Networks.They are even harder to crack, as the last poster said, its very risky getting the NUC under the table and with the cost of Handsets sim free, they (The Networks) are quite entitled to get their return on Investment on the handset.

Meteor are the best of a very bad bunch when it comes to NUC's.

Think about it yourself,

If you sold some dude a phone for €140 with €80 call credit and it cost you €270, would you give him an NUC after 6 months? with him only spending the €80 free call credit (In effect never topping up). Thats a €130 loss on your part that you have to bare, and for what, the dude to go off and use another Network. One thing is for sure, I wudn't give the NUC for nothing less than the total cost price of the Handset

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Requirements:

>> €130 minimum Spend on your phone, or 2/3 Bills Paid in Full.
    >> Write In Requesting NUC Code, provide IMEI and Reason.
    >> Phone up and Ask for the code.

Its applies to all of the networks. Not Just Meteor, get it straight or dont post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chico_2002

How bout you get it right....its not 2 or 3 bills its €130 worth of bills

Originally posted by Chico_2002
    How bout you get it right....its not 2 or 3 bills its €130 worth of bills

I Stand By My Statement. Its Correct, so I'll let you stand by yours if you like. :)

Sorry Mutz, chico_2002 is right, bill payers new to have spent €130 on the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

I have unlocked loads of my phones in the past. Even if you haven't spent enough credit for them to unlock the phone for you, there is a simple way around this. All you have to do is ring up the helpline and give somebody elses number who has spent enough credit, but give the IMEI number of the phone you want unlocked.
    I'm in london for the week and my unlce needed his phone unlocked so just went into a local phone shop where they unlocked it for £10. Most phone shops do it here in a couple of minutes, although i'm not sure whether shops like carphone warehouse or the networks shops will do it.

Thats about right, most shop store staff will take a few quid under the counter to call the networks HQ and claim them to be staff phones, or to be previously unblocked. There is definitley ways around it, but just be careful mate who you get to unblock the handsets. My best advice is to get friendly with employees of 086 / 087 / 085.I'd only go to the dudes at the markets as a last resort, they have some seriously dodgy equipment.

• Advertisement

Ok, I got the amount wrong, it used to be £100, obviously €127/130 now in top-ups.

It's called NAC, not NUC.

And, afaik and in my experience, contract customers phones aren't locked. I assume because the contract is for a year minimum, at a minimum of €12/month which is €144 for the year. so they get their money anyway.

C.

NUC = Network Unlocking Code
    NAC = Network Access Code (I Think? Not Sure.)

But all the same if ya wanna Pick knits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liamoo

hi, i have a meteor nokia 3310 that i bought
    and i want to unlock (sim-free) it?
    i have a data cable and was wondering does anyone know where to get unlocking software?
    free/easy? if poss
    Im running XP if that make any difference?

shop in mullingar who will unlock any phone or any network

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok special award for resurrection of the decade:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement