Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matching graphics card to system

Options
  • 16-07-2002 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

running a pentium 3 850mhz 100mhz FSB with 512Mb Ram, and want to upgrade my current 32mb DDR geforce2mx, i have heard there is no point putting the latest Ti4600 in my machine as there is no way i will get the best out of it, so i was wondering what would be a good graphics card to match with my system will still giving some a good gaming performance increase,

Any thoughts, suggestion?

Cheers

Data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Geforce 3 ti 500
    geforce 4 ti 4200

Near identical benchmarks so buy the cheapest :)

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thanx kdja, i was personnally thinking a Ti4200 would be too good for the system and a high end geforce 3 might be good but if a geforce 4 would be ok i may go for that

Anymore ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i wouldnt go higher then a gf3 ti 200 on that setup tbh
    cheap enough if you can find them

could try a radeon....nahhhh :)

thanx man, is it not worth getting the Ti500 over the Ti200 or would it be too much for the system, is there much performance difference?

Would you give serious thought to a radeon?

cheers
    Data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try and clock that 850, I tested one in my machine before and it went to 1133. 850/100 won't really be able to drive much more than a geforce2 ti / gf3 ti200.

• Advertisement

thanx for the tip but i've never overclocked anything, also the comp is o.e.m so i doubt the case would be up to the cooling, would it be worth my while going to a 1000/133 chip first?

cheers
    Data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

if you can't clock it then yes your best bet would be to get a cpu with 133Mhz fsb support.

thanx tactical, however for my current system, 850/100 p 3, what graphics card do you think it could handle, or would be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I'm using a similiar setup to yourself ,850mhz Athlon, and I find my processor can barely keep up with my GF3 ti200. That said a GF4 ti4200 is about the same price (bout 200 on komplett.ie) so there's no reason not to get one of those, plus it'll be fine if you want to upgrade your processor.

Advertisement