Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine refusing to boot

• 16-07-2002 10:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got this P133 there recently to use as a firewall / router / whatever. The case it came in wasn't very stylish, so I moved it onto a nice one I had lying idle.

It booted grand and I installed smoothwall and that was all cool.

I shut it down and since then the thing refuses to power up.

I've checked all the usual suspects (checked the power supply in another machine, used a different power supply, made sure all the RAM is seated, reseated the graphics card, swore blindly at the machine for an hour).

Anyway what happens is you flick ze switch and the CPU fan and the power supply fan spin about one rotation and a buzzing starts coming from the mobo.

Any ideas on what to do next, barring swapping the mobo (which I can get, but in a week or so)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'd say the PSU is shot. (I know you said you checked it).

Stick the MB you checked it with into the PC in question. Check the voltages on the board with a multimeter.

MBs don't normally buzz, there's nothing there to oscillate, that I can think of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I used a different power supply as well.

Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Try it out of the case, there might be a stand-off shorting something on the bottom of your mbd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cheers Creed, I took it out of the case and it ran sweet as a nut.

Bad case juju.

Advertisement