Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinkin of gettin the Snip??

Options
  • 17-07-2002 6:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Im 26 with 2.9 kids .
    Think i should get it, anyone else got it??
    Wife wants me to get it.

Kdja
    oh um i forgot to unregister or somfin so pretend its an unregistered post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Jesus man, get it if u want, I wouldn't though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think there was a thread on this before. Anyway, it is normal for them to refuse until you're 30yrs. old and know your own mind, but as you already have 2.9 kids, perhaps there will be no problem. Your doctor can do up a letter on your behalf insisting that you need it done as you have enough kids. Go for it, it's no biggie and you never have to worry again about an accident, so, it's very liberating...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't do anything until you're absolutely sure. How'd you get to have 3 kids by 26 by the way??

Who knows, you might want another littlen someday in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Originally posted by koneko
    How'd you get to have 3 kids by 26 by the way??

Well when a man and a woman love each other very very much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Erm..Yeah..they are called condoms and they are a new and unusual way of preventing pregnancy;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

I think that you can get the operation reversed nowadays, if you change your mind afterwards.

"Unsnipped" if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have heard of pregnancy after snippage.

Do you actually use any kind of contraception bar the outpull method?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by kdja
    oh um i forgot to unregister or somfin so pretend its an unregistered post.

:D Class.

If I was 26 (I'm 27) and had 2.9 kids (don't have any) I'd probably get it done pretty much immediately if I knew I didn't want any more. Easier all round. No more worrying about contraception. It's not a big deal.
    Originally posted by Gordon
    I have heard of pregnancy after snippage.

Happens in a few ways I think (though I don't know all that much about it). Sometimes the whole thing isn't done properly and there's a little leakage through the tubes. meanwhike through sheer bloody-mindedness the body realises tubes are separated and decides to reconnect them of it's own accord - happens in a small percentage of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

A mate of mine in Glasgow had it done, being the big girle that he is he went aroun with 2 sanitary towels wrapped around his baws for a week

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I would suggest that your wife get an IUD...if you get snipped and want kids later your screwed...or, and this is purley for example, if you got divorced and remarried, what if your new wife wanted a child with you? no way, I wouldnt do that...I think its more fair to have your wife get an IUD, this way your guarunteed no kids for 10 years and if she wants it taken out before then to have another kid she can, after 10 yrs you can have a new one put in. Its painless and takes a few seconds to be inserted by her doctor, mild cramping for a few days while the cervix adjusts. The results and studies show more and more women are choosing this as the new choice over getting tube tied...its reversable and no surgery needed!
    I think it's the better way all around!
    Tell her to ask her doctor about it, I know people who have it and love it!
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what is .9 of a child like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Scary, I'd imagine.

BTW Kdja, you said your wife wants you to get it, how do you feel about all this yourself? Is it something you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'd be tempted to get it done in the same situation. I'd see though if I could get some of my little swimmers frozen - just in case I ever decided to have another child for any reason. I'm sure your doctor or consultant could advise. It would give you great peace of mind - knowing you'd made a backup before erasing your harddrive - so to speak.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

You chop off its feet I would imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I'd think about once i'm a happy family man ( if ever). And it can be reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ask me agian in 5 weeks and it will 1.0

Im not 100% for the idea as my answer was always what if i wanted more.
    But im not being pushed into it.
    She was on the injection for 2 of our "miralces / surprises" and the other the pill.
    My swimmers are unstoppable so this has been discussed.
    She cant due to previous medical problems (was told she would never have kids oh how wrong that Dr was)

i still a bit undecided but going to see Dr about more info on it.

kdja

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

i still a bit undecided but going to see Dr about more info on it.

No point doing anything until you are 110% sure of what you want and your doctor will tell you the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

The way I see it, is this...

I would never consider taking such a step if it was to satisfy someone else. A decision like this would require you being absolutely certain that you want it - It is YOUR sack that gets tampered with, not someone elses.

You have to think ahead, like a few people have already stated. Should you ever be fronted with the want of another child, you'd have to go through the same process once again, however long / painful / annoying it is, to reverse it.

To be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't bother - Yes, it is good for the immense lessening of your chances of getting someone pregnant, yet condoms and other contraceptives serve the asme purpose, however less effective they may be. Simply put, "Think ahead, and think of yourself".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by kdja

She was on the injection for 2 of our "miralces / surprises" and the other the pill.

Uhh Ohhh :eek:

Might change my mobile number..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by RopeDrink

I would never consider taking such a step if it was to satisfy someone else.

But doesn't one sometimes make these sacrifices out of love for another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Your testes still function, don't they?
    And they have all the actual sperm stored inside (only the semen - transport fluid - is "produced") so surely the sperm could be removed and pregnency could be kickstarted artificialy later, without having to rejoin the snip?

Otherwise...try anal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Your testes still function, don't they?
    And they have all the actual sperm stored inside (only the semen - transport fluid - is "produced") so surely the sperm could be removed and pregnency could be kickstarted artificialy later, without having to rejoin the snip?
    I saw something about the body building up anti-bodies against the sperm (th DNA is different), so relying on this is problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

I recently was faced with this very same dilemma, 33, 4 kiddies but then as luck would have it the 4th was born out through the sun roof so I asked the Doc, if he wouldent mind like, and seen as he was in there anyway, to open the bonnet and put a kink in the fuel-line......sorted

mm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My friends dad had it done two years ago and could not walk properly for two weeks, he recently had it reversed when he remarried and the pain is just as bad getting it reversed according to him. So unless you enjoy pain in your penis, i'd avoid the ol snip.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by yellum

But doesn't one sometimes make these sacrifices out of love for another ?

I don't know about you, but if the most attractive bird in the universe walked into my life and said "I'll love you forever, if you let me cut your balls off." I'd show her my attractive front-door...

You're right, though - Sometimes one does make choices due to their love for another, but it'd want to be severely unquenchable, rock slid love if they want to have someone fiddle around with the inside of your meat rod so that it doesn't serve it's initial purpose. A condom is a successful contraceptive, and it costs less. Fair enough there are risks, but it's not only the men that have to take precautions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

sucka.gif
    Aint NOBODY touchin' my baws!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    So unless you enjoy pain in your penis, i'd avoid the ol snip.

There are people wo'd pay kdja's wife alot of money by the hour for that sort of treatment...then ye could have all the kids (adopted or otherwise), kittens and kangeroos you want. And a partridge in a pear tree.

Seriously, talk this over.
    You ay the 3rd child is on the way.
    Any chance this is hormonal?
    Wait till after the baby is born.
    You might find she'll have changed her tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Any chance this is hormonal?

What the baby or the decision ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I am also thinking about getting it done.

Has anyone here 1st hand experience of it?

I heards its painless 'nuff, certainly none of this pain for 2 weeks ect.

X

Advertisement