Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel

• 05-12-2000 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

just came out of a presentation by Intel and lmao! smile.gif Apart from the crappy presentation, cheap patronizing free stuff and their clear desperation to sign degree students (except for the business degree students who they practically told to **** off) the benefit plans seemed a bit dodgy.

Every bonus/benefit seemed to be tied in to the company's performance, so you could be Albert Einstein working like a ******* day in, day out then some ****wit knocks over a critical machine and you're back to basic salary (very basic). That's not even counting the competition.

What really clinched it for me though, was the "gift" PC they give you. Not "free" - a "gift". Presumeably because they're a gift they don't legally have to disable the serial number and can track your movements accross the Internet. Big brother wears a shiny clean-suit and works for Intel apparantly.

They also generously pay your ISPs monthly subscrition fee (very generous because they're free!) probably in a bid to get more of the unwashed masses on to the net for them to track. And the final perk - they replace it every three years. 3 years! 3 long ****ing years! This is a company whoose whole business strategy is based on trying to force people to upgrade every 18 months and they only give employees PCs every 3 years!

I did get a nice application form to wipe my ass with though wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You get to wear one of those shiny spacesuits though!! What a perk!!

The ISP monthly sub fee, you should of asked if they pay for your ISDN/Cable (which isn't free).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well the mobile company I work for has a simply spiffing incentive offer. £10 yes £10 off it's mobile phone for it's employees. I am so happy to say this £10 "|!*&*!"*( off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and the nice thing about the pc????

well, it goes down as part of your salary, so you have to pay tax on it.
    get a 1000 pound pc, pay 440 pound tax.
    so in reality, you are paying the goverment 440 quid for a 1000 pound pc.
    so its not really a gift is it.....

at least, thats what happened to everyone in gateway who thought they were getting free pcs, and then found out that their pay packets werent wrong, just had a big wad of tax added smile.gif
    nice....

AMP waits in the dark for cable to arrive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

dunno, hte "gift" thing might make the difference in that case. I'm not 100% but I think it's

if you are given a PC and the company writes it as a expense along the lines of a bonus or a reward, you get taxed the same as any other "benefit in kind" - this really hit people who got *big* company cars, sort of why many company cars are now small to mid range as the company also gets hit by this tax (though not as much) through it's company PRSI and PAYE contribution. Many companies have instead decided that they won't give the car but will instead pay for petrol used mon-fri and pay your tax and insurance on their account (which costs them less than it would cost you). THis can be written off as a company expense and doesn't get taxed (i think).

In the case of a "gift", if the company claims it as a corporate gift, they pay a small amount of tax and the receiver gets it free.

there was a lot of trouble a few years ago (when I was in college) when an english company gave "gifts" of holiday homes to it's big customers. THey, however, claimed it as a company expense and not a "gift" so that their profit margins were seemingly lower and they didn't have as big a tax bill.
    The ecrement impacted with the air re-allocation device when their customers got hit with a tax bill, which pushed some of them into the superannual gains tax bracket. Nasty stuff ensued....

/me not tax accountant so me no know the full ins and outs. This was just an example we were given for what goes where in corporate P&L accts.

ricky.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Its not a gift PC. It is a bonus and Intel pay the benefit in kind on all PCs. No one in intel gives a flying Fu<k about the tax paid on it because it doesn't come out of their pocket.

And by the way i don't work for Intel as they are a ****e company. I never have or never will (unless they offer me wads of money).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

anybody work for a software company that's nice to work for? I'd be amazed if someone said yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

I work for a certen large PC Company and I am just after getting a wonderful voucher for an lousy employee Christmas hamper!!! I think I wouldn't mind an almost free PC!!!
    I also got a whopping great tax bill for shares I get as well!!

Happy Christmas Indeed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

>anybody work for a software company that's nice to work for? I'd be amazed if someone said yes.

yes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

as for there bonus sceme its super.
    my mother has been there for years and through there share scheme she has made a packet. intel shares are probalbly one of the safest going.ie if intel goes bust the world is f(cked. they will give you cash instead of shares but on average there shares split every 2 years (work it out for yourself. they work you hard but theres a lot of money in the place.
    they also just gave every employee a free comp
    950mhz
    128megs ram
    dvd cdburner etc

so think hard about turning down a job there

[HIV]Frodo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

oh yea
    you dont pay any tax on the pc

and b4 any1 says there shares droped
    there on there way back

in 8 years on the scheme and on a very basic salery (shes an admin) my mum has £50000 plus in shares so when that splits and goes up again she doubles her cash
    as has happenend in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

fro......intel shares are only going up because the release of the pIV.......they will not stay as high

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 13-12-2000).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I work for a software company thats nice to work for. Ok, I own it but I get pretty much the same perks as the lads sitting around me.

According to them its a nice place to work.

Techies are treated like morons and/or children because they allow themselves to be.

If your manager treats you like ****. LEAVE.
    There are tons of jobs out there for decent IT staff.

DONT accept continuous repeated unrealisitic deadlines that you had no say in. Tell your manager you never signed up to that deadline and he never asked you.

Techies are far too nice by half imho. We have too much of a Can-Do! attitude and as such are taken for granted repeatedly.

Just my 2p.

Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

'lo

/me quit my job => get back pay, overtime, holiday pay, expenses, etc.

/me get new job => get paid, got starting bonus, will get finishing bonus + % of profits, expenses, etc.

/me laughing all the way to the bank hahahahahahhahh

[Nsk]Victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

/me works for ibm

/me walkes out of ibm over having to put up with people working with him sleeping on the job and leaving all the work to him

/me goes to wittness........and rocks out

/me gets job in IT doing Jr lan admin

/me gets lots of free drink by the company

/me has lots of fun doing somthing he likes

/me LOL@ppl still in ibm

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Advertisement