Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're Fired

• 17-07-2002 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

So RTE are planning a number of redundancies, probably will be more than likely back room staff...

I for one would like to see Gareth O'Callaghan'The man who tries too hard' , with his painfully boring afternoon radio show be made redundant..... He should be sent to CKR or the like.

But is there anyone in RTE that you would like to see get the chop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Joe Duffy
    after that bloody awful job he made of the homecoming.

Jim Beglin
    for being the most pessimistic and biggest whinger of a commentator i 've ever heard.

Pat Kenny
    for being a tactless asshole.

Tony Fenton
    too cool for school that kid.

thats all for now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Shirley Templebar

For obvious reasons

Oh hell yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

get rid of that sirley templebar one for def!!!
    all he4r family always come into the shop i work in and they freak me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The guy who does the film summaries on p183 of aertel
    Will someone please explain to this fuckhead that his job is to merely summarise the day's movies; not to editorialise, and certainly not to write "comedy" reviews that tell you nothing about the movie.

Example from today's aertel:
    KILLJOY, TG4, 21.05 Yes, it will kill your joy if you have the misfortune of watching this crap. The only point of interest is to watch an early Kim Basinger performance in this 'thriller' about a murder investigation. 1981

He's an absolutely pointless person, and I resent the fact that my TV license fees go towards his wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Will someone please explain to this fuckhead that his job is to merely summarise the day's movies; not to editorialise, and certainly not to write "comedy" reviews that tell you nothing about the movie.

Example from today's aertel:

He's an absolutely pointless person, and I resent the fact that my TV license fees go towards his wages.

I like his reviews, at least you get an idea of whether its actually a good movie or not and not just a blurb about the story of it.

Originally posted by alb
    I like his reviews, at least you get an idea of whether its actually a good movie or not and not just a blurb about the story of it.
    Unfortunately, and this is where my entire problem with the guy lies, you do not get an idea of whether a movie is good or not. What you get instead is an idea of how is movie is by bilious, humourless film student. The most unbelievable of all of his reviews I have seen so far has got to have been for 'Vanishing Point'. His entire review consisted of :
    Great Movie. Primal Scream named an album after it
    His film reviews are similar in style and predictability as those in The Slate ("This film has only ever been shown in a Peruvian cinema, to approximately 10 sheep herders - great fuckin movie"), does anyone know if he has anything to do with that too?

Anyway, as I said... I, for one, resent greatly that my licensing money helps fund this guy, so he can make even more turgid, insipid remarks about movies are.. shall we say.. easy on the brain, and I would be delighted to see him disappear entirely from the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

and I would be delighted to see him disappear entirely from the world.

You want we should kill him.....i have very good contact in bosnia....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That new guy on the LOTTO from KPMG...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Pat Kenny and Gay Byrne and anyone else that is past their sell-by-date. My main problem with RTE is that they destroy good shows by giving the presenting job to twats that have no skill other than they have been with the station for 30+ years i.e Gay Byrne on "Who wants to be a millionaire".
    Next time they sack lots of their staff I hope they don't fire the young, fresh new staff and fire old wans instead.

Also I have a problem with RTE being the tightest group going. They didn't even offer the same amount of money to the FAI as they offered them for the last contract. In my opinion Sky should get to keep the rights, they bidded as a company and so should of RTE.
    And RTE should act as a company and reduce the funding for TG4. If you are going to get a contract for expensive shows (Survivour) show them on a mainstream channel and also don't be sending some Gaelic speaking people accross the globe to do some programe that won't be watched :D
    Viva la Tay Vey 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aw man that bloody pat kenny , and while their at it , half the cast a fair city . i.e hannah , barry , tess and her dumb sh*t for brains of a husband !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All of the male staff of News2. Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    That new guy on the LOTTO from KPMG...

Eh if he's from KPMG he doesnt work for RTE.

They should sack Shirley Templebar and cut Telly Bingo completely.
    Pat Kenny should also be sacked.
    And that idiot who presented Wanderlust.
    Oh some of those weather people have to go too, they are complete muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

One of RTEs great mistakes was when they tryed to make the weather"hip and sexy,to attract the yoof market"as Im sure some exec suggested.For about a month they got rid of the professionals i favour of 3 younguns who could read the autocue and no more.And the introduction of the crap weathermaps.Its more the people in the boardroom who need to be thrown out on their arse-theyve further turned RTE into a even greater shambles.They even ruined the toyshow!Why doesnt Dustin ever get any time on it since Pat took over?:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No!!
    The man is a genius. He was handed the most boring job in the world and has spiced it up with great one line reviews like the vanishing point one.
    If you look at bloody aertel for an indepth review of a film, then i suggest you watch more unedited Big Brother:)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    No!!
    The man is a genius. He was handed the most boring job in the world and has spiced it up with great one line reviews like the vanishing point one.
    If you look at bloody aertel for an indepth review of a film, then i suggest you watch more unedited Big Brother:)
    Wow.
    In one paragraph, you managed to sum up exactly why you're a moron. Good going.

The man is a genius
    The man is a film student.
    Simple as that.
    The exact same as a gazillion other film students. You know - the ones that study film for four years, come out, realise they actually haven't got a creative bone in their body, and decide to become film critics[/b] instead. For another example of this, see Mark Kermode.
    He lacks any kind of wit, bar the most basic kind (sarcasm), and shouldn't be given such a job, ever. You know those signs in the zoo, that say "Don't feed the animals"? I want one right now, that says "Don't encourage the fuckheads".

".. spiced it up with great one line reviews like the vanishing point on .."
    I'm astounded.
    Simply astounded.
    That "review", quite easily, one of the worst things I've ever read. He's missing the point of his job entirely (see below), and instead of summarising the film, he decides to... namecheck... Primal Scream.

And, for the record, stating the Primal Scream named an album after a film is more than likely going to make me want to not watch that film.

"If you look at bloody aertel for an indepth review of a film, then i suggest you watch more unedited Big Brother"
    See? This is where reading what I'm saying will help you out here. It would have saved us all having to see an entirely redundant "you're so lowbrow" insult.

What I am saying (and have been saying all along) is that his job is not to review the films at all. His job is merely to summarise. The fact that he uses the couple of lines per film to editorialise at length instead of just giving a summary of the film is exactly why I hope he is one of those laid off. If I wanted trite observations about bad movies, mindless fanboy hype of 'obscure' movies, and humourless wit about everything, I'd probably just read boards.ie a bit more (just joking, kids).

Recently, he's been toned down, praise Allah. Now, his editorialising is limited the words "good", "mediocre" and "dodgy". Still.. every so often you can still catch a glimpse of the film student inside him.

This guy honestly makes my bile rise in a way few other people can. There is absolutely no way that your praise for this guy could outweigh my pure, unbridled hatred of this ass-hat.
    Defending him to me is a waste of your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Woah Woah. Kinda sad you get so píssed off about some guy you have never ever seen or met. Grow up. It's only text on a screen. Get over it.

Originally posted by Dave
    Woah Woah. Kinda sad you get so píssed off about some guy you have never ever seen or met. Grow up. It's only text on a screen. Get over it.
    I long to be as aloof and disaffected as you.
    Maybe, one day..

Keep on reaching for that rainbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I really hate the guy who puts the Lotto numbers on aertel 150.
    That Bollocks never puts my numbers up!!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dave
    Keep on reaching for that rainbow.
    I hate you.

I'm the guy that writes those Aertel reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I long for the day when I will have so few worries in this world that I will be able to dedicate that much of my time to plotting the horrible death of someone who once wrote a one-line teletext film review I didn't like.

Originally posted by Shinji
    I long for the day when I will have so few worries in this world that I will be able to dedicate that much of my time to plotting the horrible death of someone who once wrote a one-line teletext film review I didn't like.

<< Work: EuroGamer Network >>
    << Play: Eat Electric Death >>
    << Play: Aya Returns 2k2 >>
    YORE MA would not approve.
    And you'd have that time, too, if you didn't have to spread your time between your website(s), Quake clan, and.. uh.. anime fixation.

I am unburdened by these things, so I have all the more time to focus my hatred into a single, powerful point, like a magnifying glass.

And I'm all the happier for it.

Thanks anyway, though.

Why would I lie on such an important topic?

I've heard that you'll lie on just about anyone for a small fee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Prove it Dave-insert a reference to boards.ie in your next review.Not a blatant plug or anything liable to get you sacked-perhaps a recognised codeword like.............Atari Jaguar:D You could just insert something in the review of a shootim up action film which could go"Wasnt this based on an atari jaguar game?":)ell us when its coming on though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Gerry

Obeygiant, I also enjoy those reviews. I get a good idea of whether to watch the film or not. Perhaps you are just jealous?
    You are incredibly sad anyway, do you sit around all day plotting to kill teletext writers?

I don't think shinji plays quake, but even if its ut, its still better than criticising teletext film reviewers!

I play more quake than I play UT!

It's not a Quake clan anyway. It's a nachos and champagne clan.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Obeygiant, I also enjoy those reviews. I get a good idea of whether to watch the film or not. Perhaps you are just jealous?
    You are incredibly sad anyway, do you sit around all day plotting to kill teletext writers?

I don't think shinji plays quake, but even if its ut, its still better than criticising teletext film reviewers!

I'm seeing a trend here.

Everyone who is giving this guy praise (apart from Alb), seem to be coming from the same school of morons, with the same insult on their lips - "don't you have anything better to do with your time? You are incredibly sad and/or lowbrow".

Well, I'm sure whoever the guy is that writes the summaries on Aertel is mighty proud of his gang of morons, holding it down for his good name on boards.ie.

Anyway - I'm glad someone brought the "you are just jealous" comment into this whole thing. Judging by the standards of the previous insults, it was long overdue, and I would have been disappointed if that didn't pop up somewhere, so thanks Gerry.

It's kinda fun having people with 2,000 and 4,000 posts on this mocking the way I choose to spend my time, when they're indulging in such gloriously pointless pastimes themselves.

Hypocrisy makes me smile inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

i think you're funny obey giant....keep trolling...i'll keep giggling....

Originally posted by SheroN
    i think you're funny obey giant....keep trolling...i'll keep giggling....
    Cheers :D
    But I'd like to think there's a difference between trolling, and defending yourself, and the things that you happen to feel quite strongly about.
    Wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i also dislike the chap who does the person who does the film reviews on aertel, although i am unsure as to whether it is a male or a female.

i wont pass judge on their gender.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    We all rant.

Not over something so inane as aertelies movie reviews.
    Why not?
    Why rant at all, if you're not going to vent spleen over whatever irks you, no matter how tiny and seemingly insignificant? Does the fact that I _do_ feel passionately about this reflect badly on me? Does the fact that other people can't accept this, or look down on this, reflect badly on them? Does the fact that people are interpreting "I want him to disappear from the world" to mean "I want to kill him (horribly)" reflect badly on those people?

All these rhetorical questions.. such little time.
    The bloke probably thinks no one reads them...except his mates...who probably egg him on.
    If this is what you believe, I want you to go back through what I've been writing all along. Pay close attention to the part about me resenting that my television license fees go towards his wages. I am tired of making this point, now it's up to you to do the hard work, and read what I've been saying all along.
    My new point is that you are now acting all defensive......over some slight ribbing.

You are also dishing out insults...when there is no need.
    Naw, I'm just much better at being offensive than y'all. Again, why bother with the "small" insults (So far: 'incredibly sad', 'jealous', 'too much time on your hands', 'lowbrow', 'grow up'), if you're not going to bring out the big guns?
    But like Dave said earlier - "It's only text on a screen. Get over it.".
    Might I add you are terribly clever..... Inside.
    Aw, thanks :D
    All this from a guy whose previous contributions to this included such gems as "I do sometimes obie wobie", and "I think I will spray more Haze anti tabacco around the office now" (my favourite). Means a lot, thanks :D

Weak.

• Advertisement

And, for the record, stating the Primal Scream named an album after a film is more than likely going to make me want to not watch that film.

Wow.
    In one paragraph, you managed to sum up exactly why you're a moron. Good going.

Originally posted by darthmise

And I'm getting accused of trolling?
    Even if I am - at least I'm keeping the trolling on-topic, dammit.

But all the same.. that was kinda funny, the way you copied.. and then pasted.. stuff I've already said, to make your entire post. Shame that, of all the things I've said, you were most offended by the Primal Scream thing. Incredible. Many, many things make me a moron. But not liking Primal Scream? Naw - that just means I.. don't.. like.. Primal Scream. But hey - if you want to be offended because my tastes are different to yours, you go right ahead, slugger.

Now, after fending off half-assed antagonism for most of today, if I could just request that the next people to try, do it in an interesting, and entertaining way - that would be great.

Thanks.

Advertisement