Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Komplett's Weekly Offer

• 17-07-2002 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭

Got Komplett's weekly offer email last night.

Two offers in particular caught my eye....

GeForce 4 MX450TV (TV-Out, Retail) for €80, inc. VAT.

They also have an IDE DVDR/RW which is actually affordable (€335, inc. VAT).

<cynic> Anyone know what the catch is? </cynic>

http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1&r=1&action=weekly

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I read something about that particular model being replaced by a newer and better model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

<catch>MX</catch>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The hard disk offer isnt bad at all... now if only i had a job and money.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Well it's MX which means bottom of the performance ladder and it has SDR memory, as opposed to DDR which is pretty much the standard these days, so the memory is half the speed of the more expensive cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's also only 80 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Originally posted by MoSeS_.
    Well it's MX which means bottom of the performance ladder and it has SDR memory, as opposed to DDR which is pretty much the standard these days, so the memory is half the speed of the more expensive cards.

well, with MX cards it doesn't really make any difference SDR or DDR. the DDR cards have half the size of the memory bus, so if they're working on twice the clock that's effectively the same memory bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by netman

well, with MX cards it doesn't really make any difference SDR or DDR. the DDR cards have half the size of the memory bus, so if they're working on twice the clock that's effectively the same memory bandwidth.

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

That was the case with the GeForce 2 MX's... I'm fairly certain it's not with the GeForce 4 MX 420/440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Well if that was true then there would be nothing new with the gf4's architecture which would make it a gf2mx which it is not which means that statement is rubbish :)

It's a scam, sdr memory isn't worth crap on a gfx card, it would do the job for hl and cs but you can kiss anything else goodbye.....

and looking at any gfx card that doesn't have a fan instantly sends me warning bells of mass overheating, a big problem with the earliest line of gf2mx's, was so bad on my first card after an hour the thing would be boiling and system would lockup, add a fan to it (the way it should have come!) and hey presto, it's not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by tactical anni
    it's not so bad.

You mean you paid for "not so bad"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its actucally a Geforce4 MX420 buy for some reason its called a MX450...

The MX440 is suppose to be as good as the Geforce2 Ti's. Im not too sure about the MX420 though.

Here is a review on the MX420 i found:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/gf4-mx420/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I think he meant the catch on the DVDR/RW being affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the MX440 is DDR only.. the MX420 has SDR and DDR variants and unfortunaly this one is the former (SDR).. still an amazing price tho if you ask me, and would be a great replacement for older cards on lower spec machines. just don't go pairing it with your latest athlon xp or pentium 4.

Originally posted by SyxPak

You mean you paid for "not so bad"?

What are you on about?

Yes i did.

I was upgrading from a v3300 many moons ago.

same price in punts as this one is in euro, the best thing available at the time was a gf2 pro and I was a student.

Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I went for it.

I'm upgrading a Diamond viper 16mb card so it's a huge leap for me for a relatively small cost. Should be arriving today. After reading the comments here I checked the reviews of it and generally it should kick the arse off the card I have and be ok for most 3d games (which I don't play that much of anyway and not online either) and for the rendering (pretty basic) I do in 3dmax etc.

on a side note:

Delivery is by DHL so I decided to see if the delivery code was the DHL airwaybill number and if it was on it's way:

July 18, 2002 16:16
    Oslo - Norway Shipment picked up
    July 18, 2002 17:51
    Oslo - Norway Departing origin
    July 18, 2002 20:17
    Oslo - Norway Departed from DHL facility in Oslo - Norway
    July 19, 2002 08:15
    Dublin - Ireland, Republic of With delivery courier

they send them all the way from Norway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by LoLth

they send them all the way from Norway?

I think they're based in Norway, anyone I know who's bought from them has received the package from Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

yeah, all the way from norway, and it's here at your door the following morning.. all for just 5 euro.

i was amazed the first time i ordered from them! :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup they've a very fast service. Thumbs up! :)

OT, are Norway in the €urozone? If so, vive l'euro!:D

[ooh my 700th post.]:cool:

yes they're in the €urozone :p
    Or they're happy enough to just take our euro's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Norway's not in the Eurozone. She's not even in the EU. It just makes Komplett even more amazing, price wise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement