Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD not being recognised

• 17-07-2002 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Encountered a p[roblem on an old PII 350 today. The hard drive had initially been removed for a period of time. When put back, nada. BIOS can't see anything. All cables seem OK. ANy ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Double-check the jumpers, reseat the cables, try plug it into the secondary IDE channel, make sure the BIOS is searching for drives on all IDE channels (takes up time, but sometimes can reveal strange conflicts).

Is this a second HDD? Are there any CD-ROMs, Writers, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Ta for the feedback, Seamus. I've checked the jumpers, reseated all the cables including the power cable.

I've also tried the secondary IDE.

The BIOS sees nothing.

There is a CD-ROM Drive on it, which is being picked up by the BIOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ummm.....does it even spin up when you turn the comp on? If it's a second HDD, try having it as Secondary Master and the CD-ROM as primary slave. My PII (Siemens) setup is a bit picky like that.

:)

(Remember that cd-roms have jumpers too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yup - it spins up alright. I think I'll screw around with the jumpers a bit in the morning, Seamus. Thanks for the input. Time to go home...

Advertisement