Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have all done it.

• 17-07-2002 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Ever start a map and never finish it? Of course you have right? Well most mappers only ever finish around 1 to 2 maps in every 50 they start. People seem to get bored with the map 1/3 to 1/2 the way through making it.

You get this great idea, start the map, a few weeks later you get what you think to be an even better idea and start a new map thus letting the old one die this happens over and over and over ...

Amazing isnt it? I know most mappers here will agree with me ;)

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I have a multitude of semi-finished maps that come in all shapes and sizes...

Statistics.

89% of them are Dark maps.
    75% of them contain water.
    12% of them are INDOOR maps.
    2% of them contain city or industrial textures.
    20% of them contain sewers or underground areas.
    50% of them are old style buildings (Like castles / towers / churches etc)
    15% of them were originally made for the VAR mod.

If I counted the ammount of rmf's flaying around my hard-drive I know I'd count quite a bloody lot that I always say 'I'll finish at some stage'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah i agree this happened alot to me. I might see a movie and then try and reproduce it but it all goes to sh1t and then i quit. Thats partly the reason i got into modelling. You don't have to spend alot of time on a model to get results but a map takes a week just before it takes shape. Kinda sucks but thats the way it is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mmhmm yep, de_dustwar is the first full map i've ever finished, i think the key to me finishing it was that i drew the whole map out on paper before starting, so then it just became a question of sticking a load of blocks together in WC.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Never had enough patience to sit down and fully design a map with pen & paper before actually mapping it...

I'd usually be sitting down at my desk, playing Dark Omen or some old game like that, drinking a luke-warm cup of tea when a flash of an idea swims through my head and I drop everything to capture the moment in WC...

Of course, this fails miserably and I end up with a couple of rooms with no idea how to contribute to them, or I'd have a nice layout done, but no idea how to fill it up - boredom creeps in, and a perfectly good .rmf gets wasted in some folder in the middle of mydocument, eating up bytes... I hate mapping, as well as love it to bits - It's one of those things where you need your head screwed on, a well groomed imagination and a bit of time on your hands (And some patience) - I think I have about two of those qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

It happens to me on a constant basis.

IT's really annoying tbh, and I am considering uploading a few of my ones I'll never finish and maybe someone could finish them...

Good idea? Bad idea?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by DRakE

IT's really annoying tbh, and I am considering uploading a few of my ones I'll never finish and maybe someone could finish them...

Good idea? Bad idea?

Good idea... maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

i feel your pain brothers. i'm finding it hard to keep at the dublin map, it justs gets so boring and hard and nothing feels right, it doesn't fit what you imagined and you get sorely p*ssed at everyone involved. and this is a hard one because of the incredible amount of detail involved and there's no creativity to be spun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by kaids
    think the key to me finishing it was that i drew the whole map out on paper before starting,

Exactly, I don';t map much anymore but the first thing I do is think about it for a week before touching WC/Quark or even a pencil and paper. I'll spend another week pencilling it out, then move to the computer and actually do it, I get much much further now before I get bored. :)

(Irish classes are excellent for the thinking and drawing - lots of relatively quiet time with nothing else to think about)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Originally posted by DRakE

Good idea? Bad idea?

Why does'nt everyone post up idea's of maps they had but never finished, another input might be welcome and would bring new ideas. As always Drake your cunnigness has exceeded mine and you got to this post before I could :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

lol, i see you got a sig, do i need to do one now? coz i couldn't be arsed tbh :p

and yeh, i'll see how many maps i've not finished, and i'll upload them soon

• Advertisement

If no-one is capable of finishing their own maps, what makes you think they'd finish someone elses!?

I like the idea of people giving their imaginations a smack on the head and posting what they think might be a good idea for a map, but having a collection of .rmf's hanging around will be a little... Strange...

Still, could be good - Drake, I have that CD you gave me at the LAN with all your .rmf's on it :)

Checked one or two before I burnt it in the fireplace ;):D

Advertisement