Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend me a graphics card

Options
  • 17-07-2002 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running an Athlon XP 1800+ at its default speed of 1533mhz, with 512mb of ram and an ageing GeForce 2 GTS 32mb. Motherboard is an MSI KT3 Ultra, with agp 4X support.

I'd like to replace the graphics card as I feel its the weakest link, so to speak, at the moment :)

So, anyone recommend a decent card to install in this system? I like nVidia, but I don't want to pay €400 for a graphics card either. Something around the 200 mark would be nice. Something even cheaper would be nicer still :p How much does a decent GeForce 3 cost these days?

Ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Komplett's special at the mo is a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB DDR Ultra/650TV/DVI for €208,91

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't bother with any GF3 cards, the Ti4200 has such a sweet price tag, you won't be able to resist. And it is a very good card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

They had a Gainward ti4200 64MB DDR over at overclockers.co.uk on a special deal for something that works out at €180. Overclocks well too, beyond the spec of ti4400 :)

But yea, in any case, you should be able to get a ti4200 for around €200 and it's the best deal out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Watch for OcUK postage charges though (ouch!)

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

yeah, not as good as komplett... but ordered ddr ram, graphics card and keyboard and it cost me 8 quid. ordered on friday, got them on monday. so it's not that bad.

i probably would have gone and ordered the graphics card off of komplett, but they didn't have the ram i wanted, or a decent choice of keyboards.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I would recommend waiting until end of august and getting the new ATI Radeon 9700 (r300) it's same price range as a gf4 but nearly 200% faster than a gf4 ti4600. It's got some amazing new features too. This card is next generation stuff, ala the original geforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

He said 200 or less ("I don't want to pay €400 for a graphics card"). The 9700 (sweet is it may be) will be the same price as the Ti4600.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

maybe he will have 400 by then =p, pound per price it out wheys even a gf3

Advertisement