Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to flash the eprom of a pci card?

• 17-07-2002 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭

Through messing about with a soldering iron and a lot of help from a m8, ive managed to get two eprom images from two different cards (same model of card..two different eproms)..i can using the same method flash either card with the image of the other successfully.

However this is an ugly way to go about it imho.

Does anyone know of a program that will take a bin image and make it into a boot disk that flashes the card with the desired image automatically ..ie through software rather than soldering iron?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

there's sometimes a utility for it on the card's website, if there isn't, it's usually a case of sending away for a new chip from them (if it's a removable type one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Problem is that its a little naughty what i'm doing..which is why its a bit vague...i don't think the manufacturer would be too helpful in this instance.

My point of view is that i've the same card but its pretty restricted in some terms..and unnecessarily so..the hardware which i purchased is capable of doing so much more, like a restricted motorbike i suppose in some ways..the restriction is artificial.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I was thinking of doing something similar with two Promise IDE cards. One is a RAID card and the other is just a normal IDE controller. They're identical except for the bios chip and the price from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah if you search the web sickboy, theres plenty of info on how to hack a promise controller to do raid.

Advertisement