Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL - Help the first-timer, please?

Options
  • 18-07-2002 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to get i-stream enhanced (1Mbit/256kbps, no cap).

I don't want to spend €900 on a router. I just want to get an ADSL Ethernet modem. What are the ones that Eircom supply (for €200 ex. VAT) like? Are they any good, and if not, can you recommend any other ones I can possibly use, that I can buy myself?

Also, if you've had it installed, what does the engineer do exactly, and is there any way I can set-up stuff myself, or save costs? I've read some of Coyote's (and others) previous posts, so I have a fair idea of what it's like.

Any help you can give me for this first-timer would be much-appreciated. TIA,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Magic Monkey
    Any help you can give me for this first-timer would be much-appreciated.

I've got some advice for ya. Cancel your order for ADSL and tell Eircom to shove it up their ar$e until they decide to charge a more reasonable price and uncap the service completely! :D

Seriously though, you must have some major moola to be able to afford this. What you do, win the Lotto or something? If that's the case, any chance of a loan? ;)

As for your questions, can't help you, I'm afraid, except to suggest you do a forum search because there has been tons of discussion about this over the months and I'm sure you'll be able to track down previous posts that would answer all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

I've got some advice for ya. Cancel your order for ADSL and tell Eircom to shove it up their ar$e until they decide to charge a more reasonable price and uncap the service completely! :D

I agree, it is expensive.

Seriously though, you must have some major moola to be able to afford this. What you do, win the Lotto or something? If that's the case, any chance of a loan? ;)

I'm not wealthy or anything like that. So no loan, I'm afraid :)

As for your questions, can't help you, I'm afraid, except to suggest you do a forum search because there has been tons of discussion about this over the months and I'm sure you'll be able to track down previous posts that would answer all your questions.

Yep, I've been looking over a lot of old posts. Just thought anyone who has the enhanced service could fill me in a bit more, as things have changed (Equipment, Costs, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The router isn't €900, that price includes configuration and installation which are optional.
    The Ethernet modems they're supplying are pretty good.
    The engineer just installs a splitter on the phone line, you can't do this bit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

Try and keep your bias out of your posts please.

Gav

Advertisement