Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerpoint beginner tutorials?

• 18-07-2002 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

I think this is the right forum for this so here goes...

I was wondering does anyone know of a website with decent Powerpoint tutorials suitable for 12/13 year old beginners?

I've searched on google and looked through a couple already, on electricteacher and actden but they are both too text-heavy for teaching in an hour long session, once a day in a summer camp. Any others I find just weren't really suitable.

Preferably, I'd like a printer-friendly version that I can make a few copies of and hand out to the group (less work for me to do :D ). But seriously if they can work from a few pages I can wander around and help the ones who get stuck with anything.

Thanks
    Guy Incognito.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're teaching it, and you know stuff about it, come up with your own hour long sesh. Just make out a plan as to what you think are the best/easiest things to cover in an hour, and make a :eek: PowerPoint Presentation with a projector. What some of our lecturers do too is print out all the slides (4 to a page) and hand them out to us - it's very handy for refreshing yourself about the lecture.

12/13 years olds are much more intelligent than you'd think, expecially when it comes to computer related stuff...remember they've grown up with Consoles, CD Players, remote controls ;), they'll pick it up easier than you think. Just rely on loads of pictures - drag-and-drop demos etc etc.

(And don't be so lazy ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

The thing is i have no idea what i'm doing. I was just dragged in last minute to do this job. I seriously could not teach anyone how to even turn on a PC without shouting, roaring and then doing it myself.

And I've used Powerpoint, oh, about 3 times altogether. :p I know it's not hard to use at all but some of the group are much quicker than the others and I'd like them not to get bored too easily. I think a few sheets of instructions will set the quick ones off on their merry way while I give the strugglers a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

*bump*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi Guy Incognito,

Have a rummage around here for what you're looking for....

http://search.about.com/fullsearch.htm?terms=powerpoint

You should find something useful there. Powerpoint is pretty easy. A half hour messing about should teach you the basics.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

prob very VERY late, but would u not print off the powerpoint help files for the topics u wish to cover and demonstrate to the rest of the class first ? then ask them to do same via the printouts

simple

• Advertisement
Advertisement