Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT ordered to cut cost of Net access

Options
  • 18-07-2002 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Oftel is to force BT to cut the cost of its wholesale unmetered dial-up Internet access by 8.5 per cent.

In a ruling published today the telecoms regulator said that it was able to impose the price cut following a review of BT charges.

Originally, Oftel had recommended that the price be cut by 7 per cent but decided to nudge-up the discount by a little more instead.
    And is this "enforced" price cut likely to cripple BT's finances? Don't be silly. Those in the know estimate that BT Wholesale will take a hit of around £10m - something it can easily recoup by flogging more broadband. ®

:( full story here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

im sure the odtr wil follow suit and order telcos in Ireland to reduce dial up charges by 0.00000001% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

.00000000000000000001% reduction would make the service uneconomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Oh, bitter bitter ODTR bashing! Look at all the good things that they have done...we now have a wonderful xDSL product , full competition , FRIACO, Free radio spectrum , cost effective LLU...........oh, hold on - I forgot I left Australia a year ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

As an Ozzie, i did not realise how easy we had it until I started dealing with the Eircom beast.

Its time for the ODTR to get external advisors in to assess and fix the terrible mess that is irelands internet infrastructure. For once the ODTR should make decisions based on the best interest of the consumer....:mad:

Advertisement