Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9700 WHOAAAA!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q3/020718/index.html

It will beat the hell out of the ti4600, but no idea of pricing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

beautiful stuff! :D

Well more technology means more price cuts on the crap that's there already so happy days :)

The thing that caught my eye in the articles was how "Nvidia is the sort of company that can light a fire under the engineers and get a lot of work done in a hurry if they need to," Glaskowsky said. "I suspect they going to sound the battle stations' alarm."

yummy ;)

Just as I'm drooling over what card to get soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

hehe my reign at the bleeding edge of technology has just ended :D

1 GF4 ti4600 for sale - any offers considered :rolleyes:

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

251.50 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

251 euro
    :)
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

if it doesn't run on windows 98..

Radeon 9000, 9700 "won't run on Windows 98"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

This is what ATI's response was , i read it on [H]ard|OCP
    The only operating systems that Microsoft currently accepts as part of their WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certification process are:

Windows 2000
    Windows ME
    Windows XP

Since the RADEON 9700 and RADEON 9000 series of cards from ATI were released after the July 1st date, there was no way to obtain certification for these drivers. Microsoft certification of drivers is the most significant 3rd party qualification of a devices stability and quality. ATI's CATALYST drivers are based on the foundation of stability and quality and as such every driver that ATI makes available must go through Microsoft certification.

Although Microsoft no longer certifies devices under those operating systems, ATI still supports them. Users of Windows 98 and Windows 98 (SE) just simply need to use the WHQL certified Windows ME driver provided both on our shipping CD's and on our website. ATI also has an NT4 driver available for the RADEON 9000 and RADEON 9000 Pro which will be made available shortly.

Furthermore users of those operating systems are still supported by ATI's customer care program and can still obtain technical support.

Hope this clarifies the situation, and alleviates concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Its a lovely card alright, and its the type of card the Radeon 8500 was meant to be, thank god they have finally Succeeded, I love the Anandtech's Quote "Crowning of a new King" .
    I just hope it can perform on par or even better than the Nv30 chip later this year.

Rock on ATI!

/me strokes his Radeon 8500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

does it support Loonix/BSD/unix?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

I'd say relax a minute and wait till some proper hands-on benchmarks come out, before proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone remember the recent Matrox claims?

Who the **** gives a **** about windows 98? Its a pile of pants. Upgrade to a proper operating system, and quit moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by b4k4^2
    I'd say relax a minute and wait till some proper hands-on benchmarks come out, before proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone remember the recent Matrox claims?

That is true. However once the card got into the hands of the people who tested it they were disappointed and said so. They had no such disapointment from the r300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Someone will probably figure a way to tweak the drivers or hardware to do it if people need to, which they shouldn't, when I think about it 95-98 = 3 yrs and from 98-2002 is five so say some of the latest software/hardware won't run if your still on 95, it's perfectly normal, everyone should be upgrading...

It's a conspiracy theory, they're trying to get everyone to upgrade ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by b4k4^2
    Errr, people did not proclaim the Matrox Parhelia-512 to be the new king. They just acknowledged the possibilities of this card based on the specs and everyone was disappointed with it when hardware sites got their hands on it. Now this is different for the Radeon 9700 because all those hardware sites like anandtech and tomshardware already got a preview card from ATI and have seen for themselves the performance of this new card. They just can't publish numbers yet and so anandtech is posting percentage differences to the gf4 ti4600 instead of actual numbers.

lets just hope they dont lower the clock speed like they usually do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by Gerry
    Who the **** gives a **** about windows 98? Its a pile of pants. Upgrade to a proper operating system, and quit moaning.

Most people are happy with their OS and won't want to fork out another couple of hundread on a new os. Or don't want a warez'd copy.

And just to note Windows 98 has reached its end of term :D
    So no more new Windows 98 machines :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by PPC

Most people are happy with their OS and won't want to fork out another couple of hundread on a new os. Or don't want a warez'd copy.

Aye, but I can't see anyone happy with a dark-age OS shelling out for a top of the line gaming card (Or if they do their priorities are a wee bit screwy). Xp is only ~$100 if you look around, 1/4 of the expected price of that card.

ppc, its crap. It crashes your machine when the hardware is 100% stable, can't recover from any more than the most minor of crashes, I could go on and on.

What annoys me is people buying brand new machines or upgrading and slapping win98 on it, its a waste.

Originally posted by PPC

And just to note Windows 98 has reached its end of term :D
    So no more new Windows 98 machines :D

Windows98SE was thrown in with my OPC when i boght it from a private dealer.
    The CD is now scratched to fúck. It was a substandard piece of shít when i was charged for it, and it still i.
    I procured a CloneCD copy of Win2k for myself a good few months ago and haven't looked back.
    I also run mandrake linux.

€500 for an OS is too much.
    €60-70 for a major version is reasonable, though I'd pay more if it was stable and useful, though I could just go the fullblown *n*x route for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by Doodee
    Its a lovely card alright, and its the type of card the Radeon 8500 was meant to be, thank god they have finally Succeeded, I love the Anandtech's Quote "Crowning of a new King" .
    I just hope it can perform on par or even better than the Nv30 chip later this year.

Rock on ATI!

/me strokes his Radeon 8500

/me whispers in DooDee's ear , "But will it run Codename Eagle?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok I keep hearing about this wonderful OS Windows 2000.
    Few questions before I take the leap.Currently running 98se and have never had a problem with it.
    Whats it like for gaming?
    Are hardware drivers readily available?
    What differences are there between 2k and 98?
    Thats all.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows 2000 is just fine for games, unless you're still playing bloody ancient games :)

drivers for practically everything are readily available, and lots of more "common" hardware is supported out of the box.

Its a hell of a lot more stable than 98. I've only had it blue-screen on me once. It will run more than 512mb of ram without problems (unlike 98) and will support multiple processors, if you happen to be filthy rich :)

I recommend this product and/or service.

There were a few games that didnt work under w2k that worked under 98se. Also after switching i get a few blue screens to do with acpi but apart from that i love w2k :D

Much prefer it over 98se now.

I use my machine purely for games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

W2k isnt all roses and nice things ,it does have its problems.
    Its probably the best advanced user OS (98se/home XP being the best user)

Most ppl who have W2k know what they are doing with it so say tis great (technically they correct)
    But if your a user with little knowledge of OS stuff it can be a nightmare (search boards for this "windows 2000 problem" )
    And you will see what i mean or even search on google for it.

back on topic anyone got a link to Nividias answer to radeon
    specs etc

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

XP has all the advantages of win2k + more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

XP is 2000 with Windows Millenium "enhancements"

XP is a steaming pile of bubble-wrapped telli-tubbi w4nk.
    Won't run emulators, has some serious problems with multimedia/CD burning.
    The while I was using it it didn't do what I wanted it to do, the skinning of it simply slows everything down, it is a step in the wrong direction from the improvements of win2k over NT4.
    It's candy-wrapped sh1te for people who don't know any better.
    This is XP home I'm referring to.
    I haven't spent enough time using XP pro in the win2k style to pass honest judgement on it yet.

Anywyas, this is for MS Apps/OS

On topic:
    If this card get decent driver support a (including OpenGl1.3+) I might just go for it.
    I've hated to see an Ati card in SYstem Properties before cos generally it means sh1te performance (overall for the PC - OEM thing really) and dodgey support at best for any game.
    (Codename eagle + Radeon 8500 + WinXP Pro, eh JP? Eh? EH? :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

By default XP is too topheavy, but you just have to disable all the eyecandy to bring it back to Win2k performance levels. Also it boots MUCH faster and has a couple of nice additions. It handles Shared DLL's much more efficiently than any other version of Windows, and has unlimited midi port support (handy if you're doing music). I didn't like it either the first few times I used it, but after some tweaking I think it'd now my OS of choice - not that I'd be pushed to upgrade from Win2k to it on an existing install, but any new installs I do will be XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

kdga - Nvidia's answer to the 9700 is the NV30
    .13 micron fabrication
    450MHz GPU
    900MHz DDR
    AGP 8x
    64-bit and 128-bit color
    Zero performance cost using 4X FSAA
    16 Textures/Pixel Per Pass
    Multi Chip capable(external T&L)
    Firewire Port