Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! Nwn

• 18-07-2002 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

HELP!!! Neverwinter Nights keeps on crashing and restarting my computer!! I have an AMD Duron 1.1Ghz, 256mb, 80Gb HD, Gforce 3 Ti200 128mb running under Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 2. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is a default option in W2K that will force your machine to reboot on an error.

1. Right click "My Computer" and select properties.

2. Select the Advanced Tab.

3. Click on "Startup and Recovery".

4. Make sure "Automatically reboot" is clicked off!

5. Enable "Write an event to the System log".

Click OK.

That won't fix the problem but it will stop the machine from rebooting every time. You can check the service log for the error. (if you don't know how to do that let me know).

Now lets start with the basics.

1. At what point does it keep restarting your machine?

2. Did you install the latest patch for the game?

3. Are you running the latest OpenGL (DirectX?) drivers?

4. Do you have all the latest patches for W2K installed? not just SP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Answers:
    1: I press play on the loader and the logo comes up then the screen goes black and my comp reboots.
    2:Yea i got version 1.20
    3:I'm in the process of downloading the latest drivers from nvidia
    4:I just got W2K and all i got was SP2

After the change I tell you to do, does it still reboot?

What is the error message in the server log?

To get to the server log...

1. Right Click "My Computer".

2. Select "Manage".

3. expand "Event Viewer" part of the tree that appears in a window (under System Tools).

4. Check the Application + System sections under that, you may notice errors which you can read to get more details to what is causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

It didnt restart but a blue screen came up with a load of gibberish. In the Management under application it says:
    Unable to read IO control information from NBT device.

and under the System part it says:
    The nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

and:
    The nVidia WDM TVAudio Crossbar service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

and:
    The nVidia WDM TVTuner service failed to start due to the following error:

and:
    The nVidia WDM Video Capture (universal) service failed to start due to the following error:

does that mean anything? i'm guessing it's 2 do with the grfx

"Unable to read IO control information from NBT device" only relates to boot up time (more information on how to fix that here). SP2 should of fixed that.

The others seem to suggest you don't have the correct drivers installed or something is conflicting with it.

You might have to check back a little bit more. Your looking for possible errors, although I would hazard a guess it's your video drivers is the problem.

The "Blue Screen gibberish" is probably the most important. Normally the first line just, with whatever message is there eg. "KMODE Exception not handled" (and normally a small number after it like 1E).

• Advertisement

I've moved the thread contents to another forum which would probably be better at answering your question, you can still access it through the RP forum.

Advertisement