Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windoze Boot Up Times Increasing

Options
  • 18-07-2002 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its been taking longer and longer to get from power button pushed to formed desktop, about 90-100 secs and its just got longer with a pregnant pause during the scrolling of text and when the text is complete just before the desktop kicks in, is thier anyway of shortening this wait?

Yours impaitently.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry, its Win 98SE.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Desparately trying to remember (its been a while since I've used 98) but I believe on booting, it creates a hidden (?) file called bootlog.txt in C:\

Open that file in notepad, and I think you'll find that its probably having trouble loading certain drivers or services.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

start button + r

type: msconfig

hit return. do a selective start up, disable almost everything, except the bare essentials, you don't need half of the junk that gets gathered up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

'Scrolling text' indicates a lot of crap in your Autoexec.bat/config.sys . You don't actually need these for windows itself, though some programs do still write to them (eg. Dos drivers for your soundcard etc.). Try renaming them and see if that helps.
    Also Win9x bloats over time, there's no way around it. One of the biggest culprits is Vmm32.vxd as it builds itself from a number of other DLL's as you add components, nothing you can do about it though as without it Windows is screwed. I strongly advise moving to Win2k/Xp, or do a fresh reinstall of Win98 about every 6 months at least (Having ghost to copy the clean install when done helps).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

I strongly advise moving to Win2k/Xp

Advertisement