Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italians REALLY are bad loosers!

• 18-07-2002 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020717/80/d3wwj.html

Serie A and B will allow no more than one new non-EU player per team in the current transfer window then non after that.

Aparently its a knock-on from Italys' tough new anti-immigration laws but I think its got more to do with a certain South Korean...

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by mike65
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020717/80/d3wwj.html

Aparently its a knock-on from Italys' tough new anti-immigration laws but I think its got more to do with a certain South Korean...

Hardly. Every major league seem to have that 'brainstorm' at one point or another that if their club teams are full of their own nationals that their international team will suddenly become fantastic. Italy must be the latest culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

normally I think its a waste of time, but there could be a grain of truth in it. Just now my own Club Arsenal has ditched Wright for Corini. If there was a limit on foreigners he probably would have kepy Wright. Instead Wright is now at Everton - a lesser a club. A national FA has to also look out for the quality of the national squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

look at france and irelan for an example that you dont need to keep your top players in your country to have a top notch national side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

thats different, wages hardly hardly at the same level in the irish league !!!
    The point is in Spain, Italy and England, all the native players generally stay at home. Their clubs however can buy players from nearly any place in the world. For instance, Englands problem with the left wing position is not a problem for any major England club. Man Utd have Giggs, Arsenal Pires, Blackburn Duff. If there were forced to pick an Englishmen in that position, maybe some new talent would be unearthed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I disagree Vorbis. If Richard Wright had stayed at Arsenal, he wouldn't have gotten 1st team football for a year, probably more considering we were thinking of buying Rustu. If he's at Everton (a "lesser" club :rolleyes: ) and getting 1st-team football, then that is surely better for the national team? As I recall, Leicester didn't exactly make massive inroads into Liverpool's dominance despite the "national presence" of Shilton & Lineker.

Another thought- a tonne of the best defenders in Italy are foreign ones. Yet the Italian national team has the strongest defense seen for a good while- talent across the whole defence with the exception of Panucci. Shevkenko and Batigol play in Serie A, as did Weah, Maradonna, and Van Basten. Yet Italy have *always* had a tonne of strikers available. Italy's problem isn't their player-pool, it's their mindset and tactics. Going into a match against Korea with a 4-5-1 shape says it all really- it explains why Italy is now the only team in the *world* to have lost to Korea at the World Cup- not once, but twice, and against both Koreas too. Much ownage?

Occy

• Advertisement
Advertisement