Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinemas in Ireland

• 18-07-2002 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

(Not sure if this is the right forum. Mods - feel free to move to After Hours if appropriate).

I want to complain about the state of cinemas in Ireland (compared to, say, cinemas in America).

Our main cinema here in Limerick (I won't name it just in case, but people from around here know which one I'm talking about) has seriously deteriorated in recent times.

Notably:
    • There are no ushers at all in the cinema. 'Knackers' (for want of a better word) seem to frequent this cinema, and have no qualms about starting conversations with each other, and making and taking calls on their mobile phones. All they need to do is hire one or two guys to patrol the screens. God help you if you tell them to shut up (best case scenario, they'll start flicking popcorn at you, worse case - you get a dig).
    • Sound system has degraded in some screens to such an extent that at times, the movies sound like they are being played through an AM radio.
    • Popcorn has become unedible. Too much salt. Far too much salt. Are they trying to kill their customers? I complained a couple of weeks ago about it (brought it back). They gave me another batch (from the freshly made stuff) and it was almost as bad... And this isn't just now and again. Its every single time ("Hmmm... maybe this week, it'll taste OK.")
    Sorry if I sound like I'm bitching and moaning (I know I am!), but I go to the cinema a couple of times a week (at least), so they're getting at least €20 off me a week. It never used to be this bad (as recent as the start of this year). Now, the cinema is doing great business, so they're raking the money in.

So why am I bitching?

I've been on holidays in the States a couple of times in the last few years. When I go, I make a point of visiting the cinemas there to experience how they should be run. Comfortable seats, headrests, steep tiered seating, massive screens, amazing sound etc. etc. Even the 'smallest' screens there are huge. (The smallest screens in Limerick are... well, I've seen bigger TVs)

Now I believe that Liffey Valley's cinema and Dun Laoire's cinema are the closest to 'american style' cinemas (Correct me if I'm wrong - I've never been to either). Not much use to me down in Limerick, though.....

So I open it up to you.... has anyone got any comments about, or experiences from cinemas in Ireland (or any other country)... good, bad or indifferent?

Note - Its probably not a good idea to name cinemas if you're saying something bad about them! :)

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'd have to agree with you that cinemas (in general) are a state in this country. A perfect example is the cinema in Enniscorthy. What a kip. I went to see We Were Soldiers there and a crowd of people up the front were talking at the tops of their voices and moving from seat to seat blocking everyones view for the first 20 minutes. And of course there were no cinema staff on hand to see it so we had to go report them ourselves and ended up missing another 20 mins of the movie while the cinema staff tried to throw them out. It really drove me crazy because I was looking forward to seeing that movie so much.
    A problem that I seem to encounter a lot in cinemas lately is that the volume is either far too low or far too high. I went to see Harry Potter last Christmas (I know, I know!!:rolleyes: ), there were only 3 people in the cinema besides me and the volume was so loud it was hurting my ears. Complained again, yet they didn't do anything noticable to the volume.
    The price of popcorn and drinks has gone through the roof and so have ticket prices. I brought 5 kids to the cinema today to see Spirit, the tickets cost 22 Euro and a further 19 Euro to buy 6 medium drinks and 2 bags of sweets. It's ridiculous especially as the drinks are watered down and the popcorn tates vile.
    I can't see anything being done about it as the cinema is as popular as ever and those running the shows are making a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dave I'm guessing you're talking about the cinema, er out of town*, not the one in town?

Last time I was in the Savoy (or whatever they call it now) a double seat just collapsed. Now, my girlfriend is what you'd call a nice slim girl and while I've put on a few pounds over the years, I didn't expect that to happen (we were, incidentally, just sitting on it. No jumping, nothing dodgy). Haven't gone back since (must have been a few years ago, the movie was The Thomas Crown Affair). I wonder if they've wiped the dust off screen one yet (it was there in Feb 94 when I was there first (Waynes World 2) and whenever it was I saw Thomas Crown - probably August 99)

Now, on to the other place*
    Lack of ushers can sometimes be a problem. Actually make that "lack of usher" They don't need all that many people but don't seem to provide any more than the people selling tickets and in the shop. Which isn't any good if you're sharing the cinema with a few brats who think an afternoon's fun can be had by paying to get into a movie and crapping on the seats (or whatever they do). Can't comment on the popcorn, Anne likes it

Lack of choice, what can you do. The one in town is worse (except for that nice screen 6 across the road - lots of leg room if you sit in the second row from the back)

*Dooradoyle , people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Liffey Valley is good although it does have it's bad points i.e. There are about 5 people working there even at the peak times with new films, which causes much agro when there are people sitting where they like even though they have been told to take there designated seats. Saw a major bit of agro when I went to see AOTC the 1st afternoon it was on, everyone sat where they liked and there was an argument on every row but no sign of an usher. It's also started to look a bit mankey in certain screens, again plenty of knackers come to this cinema and strangely they also like to have loud conversations either within the 'group' that are there or via mobile, tossers the lot of them. Just to add why do these idiots question the technology in science fiction films, asking questions like 'those flying cars don't exist, do they?' & 'can you get those light swords in the shops?' TWATS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

The Omniplex in Galway, though a little pricey, does provide a good service to their customers. It wasn't always like that, (remembering back when it only had 7 screens, it was cat). But since they added on the other screens they have really made an effort. I actually look forward to going there, with their natchos/jalapeno peppers/melted cheese & salsa dip, being a real treat. I went off popcorn because after a few mins of munching on that you need a drink.

The seats are comfortable, and there's rarely any trouble with muppets in the cinema. The only time I can remember there being hassle was about 6 months ago, and there was some knackers in the row in front of us. All of a sudden, and I hardly noticed I was so engrosed in the movie, two ushers came down and asked them to be quite. That worked for a about 2 mins, and the next time a manager came down, and in the most polite manner requested that they leave. They of course put up a fuss, but the manager was obviously well training in customer relations, because his firm tone didn't waver, nor did he have to become threatening, raise is voice, or repeat himself. Twas a good job, and out they went.

Another note about the staff there, some of the ushers are the best looking women I've seen in a while. A lot of them are American, but there was this really cute one that takes your ticket off you and tells you what screen to go to. I nearly received slaps for standing and staring that little bit too long. :rolleyes:

Also there is a new cinema being opened in Salthill shortly. It's underground and apparently has 10 screens. The building it's in look class with the ground floor all done in marble, but it's difficult to see it, since they still have the site walls around the perimeter.

The cinema in Castlebar is nice too, but it could be a bit bigger. The lobby is too small, and the sweet counter is understocked and overpriced. But everything else is up to date, and did a good job when it showed Attack of the Clones on the same night as the premiere in Dublin, for a fraction of the price. :)

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I have nothing against the Limerick Omniplex. I have frequented a number of American Cinemas and in fact it's just as good. In America you have all the stupid Americans talking during the show and laughing at the most inane things. Certainly you get the few muppets whose mobile rings during the movie or are acting the complete tool. So a few more ushers would sort that out, but other than that the Omniplex is top notch. As for the Savoy... the Savoy makes baby Jesus cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been to the AMC in Orange County, and the cinema in the Sony Center in San Francisco, and both piss all over cinemas in Ireland! :D

Never had any trouble with americans talking during a movie (I get the impression that they are less tolerant of people talking in movies than we are). As for laughing at inane things, well, thats Americans for ya! :)

- Dave.

I have been to that AMC cinema too. I didn't notice a huge difference. As for the sound in your earlier post... AM Radio... c'mon. I saw Bad Company last night and the sound was brillant. And that wasn't in screen 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Dont have a problem with any cinema ive been to in Dublin. Granted, the Screen and Savoy are a bit old, but i've never had cause to complain while at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

The Limerick Omniplex has buttered popcorn therefore I love the place :D
    Never had any problems with people in there bar the usual odd mobile phone going off.

The thought of the Savoy makes me shudder. Not even the college students go to that cinema, they pay the extra money to get the taxi out to Dooradoyle ;)

I've heard rumours of another one being built on the CastleTroy side of Limerick? Are these just rumours or has anyone else heard this ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Is there another savoy in limerick or something?

• Advertisement

There's only the 1 savoy in Limerick. It's a dive. As i said it makes baby Jesus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Liffey valley is great. The chairs are larger than in most other cinemas, the screens are larger and most of the time the cinemas are empty (if you go during the day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by flyz

I've heard rumours of another one being built on the CastleTroy side of Limerick? Are these just rumours or has anyone else heard this ?:confused:

I heard that too, but i don't think its true. They have their signs up now saying whats moving in there and theres no mention of a cinema.
    What i did hear is that the Dunnes across the road in the Parkway is moving in there, cos they're only renting where they are at the moment, so maybe theres plans for a cinema to take over at the parkway.
    Doesn't matter to me, i'll have blown that two horse town long before it ever happens.

Never had any complaints about the Omniplex. Grand spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Apart from the floor being covered in spilled drinks and popcorn, liffey valley is great. Great picture and sound. The major gripe I have is the price, but sure you can bring your own food and drink in to take the sting out somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Never had a problem with allocated seating as (in Cork at least) it only seems to be for children's films (to ensure families can sit together). It the cinema was that empty - why didn't you just move?

I usually go to Douglas myself, for a combination of averages. It's reasonably close. Parking is free and not too big a hassle. Drinks are a good size. Popcorn isn't too bad. Never had too much problems with sound or the picture.

The Gate is pretty much the same, except for the lack of parking.

My favorite is the Capitol - purely for the comfy seats. It was a bit dingy before but they remodeled.

If you want ushers, go to the Reel in Ballincollig. They usually send someone in to check two or three times during the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer the IMC in Dun Laoghaire has that problemmthe odd time. They run shows so close together on the same screen that they sometimes dont have a chance to clean. Usually its great and the screen+ surround sound are nice. It is kinda pricey tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

I quite like the Screen - good sound and everything. yeh granted it's a bit shabby but you never get people chatting and shouting during the films. Same goes for the IFC - i love the place, especially screen 2 which feel slike you're sitting in a rich friend's massive sized sitting room with all your mates....

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Well lastweek I went into town (UGC) and I was disappointed . The cinema was the size of a football pitch so the sound was pretty crap , to make things worse there was a small TV at the front row which I soon realized was the screen :eek:

I've always been a regular customer in liffey valley cinema , It was 14 screens , sound is excellent , screens are massive and the layout is pretty good.
    The only downfall which leejon already pointed out is the amount of staff on duty. On Saturday nights they must have at least 2 fights per screen over seats. Lastweek some lad told a husband and wife to f*ck off when they told him he was in their seats :/

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bedlam
    The worst cinema I've been to was the old theater in Castlebar which was replaced a few years back. The place looked like it was built into a cave.
    LOL, I remember that, jebus it was soooo BAD :rolleyes:

If my memory recalls (I was only in the place once, it was enough), just before it got closed. You went in, paid, got a ticket that looked like the person behind the counter, ripped a corner off an A4 sheet of paper and handed it to you. The food counter, was fit for one person at a time, and resembed a wardrobe with sweets, cans, bags of popcorn, and a wee lady, who had no problem with taking your money. The screen (I think there was only 1), you entered up through a stairs from the lobby, straight in front of the screen, which was on a stage. In front of the screen was the sound system (a single ghetoblaster). The sound was rubbish, in that the projector made more noise, and the picture was nothing spectacular. That folks was 1998 AFAIK.

But soon after Castlebar got their own 7 screen (which was 4 screen initially AFAIK), but it was 1000 times better. I still think everything outside of the screens themselves in that cinema are a disgrace, but the screens themselves do the town justice.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by phobos

LOL, I remember that, jebus it was soooo BAD :rolleyes:

Sounds something like the Oisin in Killorglin (I think it was Killorglin). I had the joy of watching the Russia House there. Entering through a lobby that was probably someone's kitchen and going down their back garden to the shed at the the back that turned out to be the conema just added to the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

dave the AMC theatres I've been to in america are far better quality than your average Irish cinema - better screens, better sound, although there are drawbacks... and the americans laughing at really unfunny stuff is one of them :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

Go to the IFC.

The cinema is stylish and clean and has large comfy seats.
    The films are great, not your usual Hollywood garbage.
    And in the evenings, theres usually a Bouncer at the door to keep the atmosphere Knacker free. Not that they go in there cos it's too artsy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Saw Biggie and Tupac in the IFC recently and had some drugged up knacker and his bint rapping throughout the film....fondling each other....shouting a bit, then falling asleep loudly.

Only bad experience there tho'. Need to be quick to get tickets for the more popular films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ever since i went to Liffey Valley i swore i would never again go to another cinema.
    its perfect go during the day about 2pm its actually clean
    no Q ,pick your saet ,seating is good too.
    and im 5 minutes walk away :)

I hate the UCi cinemas im over 2.5 ft high so have trouble fitting into the seats without gashing my knee.

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The price of popcorn and drinks has gone through the roof and so have ticket prices. I brought 5 kids to the cinema today to see Spirit, the tickets cost 22 Euro and a further 19 Euro to buy 6 medium drinks and 2 bags of sweets.

Holy bat crap dude,you never buy munchies in a cinema that what the newsagent just nextdoor is for :)

I rufuse to pay €7-9 for a coke and popcorn when i can get nicer for €1 in a newsagent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

Food is too dear in the cimena's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by kdja
    I hate the UCi cinemas im over 2.5 ft high so have trouble fitting into the seats without gashing my knee.

I'm surprised that this is the first mention of UCI here. Have you been the the UCI in blanchardstown or have you just gone to tallaght and coolock?

Blanch has really nice seats (if i do say so myself), big and comfy. Closest I can compare them to is UGC (which are less comfy) having never been to ster century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

tbh In cork they seem fine , there are plenty of Ushers ,reasonably clean ,and theyve started doing allocated seats ,which is a mixed blessing .That said ill go for the gate any day , Smaller screens (theres one in the Cineplex thats just huge , try to go to an anyway popular film and its just anarchy) ,nicer decore an all and all better sound , not that its much of an issue frankly . Kino is quite nice aswell , never crowded or anything , and proper coffee served at the Desk :)

i only been to UCI in Tallaght and its horrible the chairs make it a bad experience.

kdja

Originally posted by three
    Food is too dear in the cimena's.
    I agree :)

But I still never find myself making a trip to the newsagents before the show. I don't want the hassle of perhaps getting caught bringing in food. Also popcorn you buy in shops come in bags, that make too much noise when opening/using.

In Galway Omniplex, I always get some natchos with cheese/salsa dip and lots of jalapenos, nyom ;). Also a medium coke. That will cost me about €6, but I think it's worth it, for the luxury alone. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but the price of food in the cinema has been expensive for ages. It's doesn't seem like it's going to change, but in return you get large portions (in my local cinema anyway). If I ever buy popcorn, I never finish it, too much.

Also going to the cinema during the day is the next best thing since bread could fit in the toaster. Sit where you want, nobody talks, Oh the luxury :)

/me puts feet up

;-phobos-)

Personally being a Ster Century fan ,i find the food reasonable in Cinema terms.
    €6 for medium popcorn and coke .
    Isnt too bad €5 in during the day also so €11 for quality entertainment (unless you see Survivor 7 or somfin Worst movie ever)
    And yes cinema during the day is great :)

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

i'm also a ster man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Went to that Omniplex Cinema in Limerick once and it I liked it very much.

However, when going to any of Limericks other Cinemas it is advised that one brings a knife or a gun to partake in the action !!!

For quite some time Galway Omniplex has sometimes gotten movies a little later than the general release date. Take for example (and this is really annoying me), it still hasn't gotten Resident Evil yet!. FFS it's been out across the country for the past 3 weeks (at least), and I just checked the forcomming week's listings and there is still no sign of it. I am beginning to think that they are not getting it in at all. I'm heading there this evening, so I will be asking where the fuk is it, and will they be getting it before it comes out on DVD :p

muppets :mad:

I'm tempted to find a hay shed down the country that has been showing it for the past while.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

I've heard that the 'plex in Galway are fussy bast-ards. They want the film reels cheap and they have fallen out with Warnerbros suppliers and Universal's a few times. If they don't get the film cheap then they won't be screening it.

Currently, they still have a monopoly on the situation as long as there's 1 cinema in Galway this will continue to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

The Ormond in Stillorgan, been there for years

Advertisement