Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-merge Humanities and Politics

• 18-07-2002 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Both Humanities and Politics have died a death - overall posts seem to have gone down and there's no decent discussion anymore. It used to be lively and positively argumentative, now it's just boring.

I think the division is causing people to lose interest in both forums.

The best solution, I think, is to merge them again.

Does anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I sort of agree, except its summer (ha!) which is why things are quiet, come the new season and I'm sure the turnover will
    increase, that said I'm having difficutly getting excited about anything right now - even being shown to be right about
    the end of block exemption in the car trade!

Maybe if Bush invades Iraq or Bertie divorces his wife...or gets back with his wife!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much happening on the Humanities forum anymore, it used to be one of my favourite forums but since college finished for the summer it's dead. Maybe it will pick up in September though???

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea, I'd like to see both of them merged back again, the reason why I stopped checking when they split up was because it caused more effort to check two forums insteed of one, so I just gave up because I was getting confused on what topics were what, and were I read them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I heartily endorse.... etc. etc.

I only started taking and interest in the two forums recently, but they've kind of gotten dull of late.

Sure you can always split them again later.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Yes, let's merge this things. Politics is getting to be a forum for people who disagree, while Humanities is getting to be a forum for people afraid of disagreeing, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Agreed. And Ban Cast^H^H^H^HAmp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Both Humanities and Politics have died a death - overall posts seem to have gone down and there's no decent discussion anymore. It used to be lively and positively argumentative, now it's just boring.

Exactly what i've been thinking; I just hadn't bothered to say anything. The two forms should definatly be merged together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I think there are a lot of reasons Humanities is quieter than it use to be. One of them would be the recent popularity of PI and After Hours. Also that a lot of the big issues have already been discussed to death. And yes despite weather to the contrary, it is actually summer.

Also I'd note that all of the supporters of this merge haven't started a thread in the last ten days. Instead of waiting for other people to start an interesting thread, why not start one yourself?

I don't, in order to try and remain impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No point doing anything till the summer is over lads. A lot of people are away. Politics is going to get very busy with the 2nd Nice Treaty Referendum coming up in October.

Hold off until early September and if its the same then re-merge them.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by gandalf
    Hold off until early September and if its the same then re-merge them.

Gandalf.

*Translation* "I don't want to have to read more crap then I need to" :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobbes

*Translation* "I don't want to have to read more crap then I need to" :)

Damn and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids :p

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think we should merge Quake + Tribes forum... just for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

CS and PI maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I thought it was something I'd done.

Seems to make sense to me to merge them, though, possibly under a different name. Plus, with a whacky logo.

How about calling them 'Monday' or something? :)

Humanities and Politics are going to always veer close to each other as long as the politics involved isn't local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by MiCr0
    CS and PI maybe?

Ooh that hurts!! (actually it would be called Pics then wouldn't it..)
    :)

... or Scip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

can i be mod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

With respect, I think any merging of the Humanities Board with Politics would be a retrograde step.
    Many topics which I have found very interesting might never have seen the light of day were it not for Humanities. Four of the five currently active threads on Humanities ( Fast Food, Hating English,Baby Mix-up, Immoral TV ) would not sit comfortably in Politics. Thread-starters would have found it difficult to find an appropiate board other than Humanities for these topics and could well have been dissuaded from posting as a result..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Maybe you should allow capitalism VS communism discussions... that'd liven it up for you! :P

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Maybe merge Quake w/Unreal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

That does not make sense. If the forum was called Humanities/Politics.

Well, yeah, that's true alright. If the new entity was called Humamities/Politics there should be no problems.

I had thought that what was being proposed was a "hostile takeover" by Poilitics with a consequent disappearance of Humanities threads. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by smiles
    Maybe you should allow capitalism VS communism discussions... that'd liven it up for you! :P

<< Fio >>
    yeah let Digi_Tilmitt back in :) lol ah the good old days

Having had a few days to think this over I am strongly against re-merging these two forums.

The Humanities board was split orginally because topics related to home and foreign politics were choking other more abstract topics suited to Humanities.

With the Nice Treaty coming up and George W getting ready to blow Iraq to kingdom come its going to be a very busy Autumn on Politics.

I think you will find that both boards are viable on their own.

If DeVore asks me my opinion I will say a very strong NAW to it. I'm sure Bonkey would agree with me.

Gandalf.

Advertisement