Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u convert DVD to Divx, or VOB to divx?

• 19-07-2002 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me any decent program to convert from a DVD to Divx or from an extracted VOB file to Divx- other than flask mpeg, won't work for me...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Do a search for a program called EasyDivX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

extracted VOB file to Divx- flask mpeg DOES do this
    otherwise there are plenty of proggys out there, u did a seach on google i guess ?
    one site for proggys is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'd recommend Gordian Knot, and also moving this thread to "Technology"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Never tried to rip a DVD. Would like to give it a go tonight. I'll look it up myself, but whilst I have a quick internet connection here in work, it would be nice to download any software I need in advance.

Anyone here rip DVD's to DivX format on a regular basis, tell me this......... I have a DVD player, I have a DVD in the player, I have DivX5 installed, Media Player 7.1 on windows 98. What else do I need to get a GOOD quality DivX ? I know theres loads out there, and I specifically want to make a DivX file. What do people here use, and better still can you give me an idea what steps are involved in the process ? I have read the site above and thats quite good.

The GORDIAN KNOT suite from doom9.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There is tutorial for all sorts of dvd to divx conversions on this website

http://www.divx-digest.com/

but remember you should only convert home movies you've recored onto a dvd ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

i would however recommend locking this thread as it is illegal, unless of course you "own" the dvd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thanks guys. Justhalf, read all about the Gordian Knot stuff, before I posted the last one, just wanted to see what other people use. Think I'll go with your recomendation though. The Gordian Knot stuff is well documented. Looks good. I wonder do you know, for a good quality movie, what would your average filesize be, based on a 100minute film ?

Thanks for the moral crusade taz, I'll sleep safe knowing that you're protecting my morals ;)

The thread is not in fact illegal, acting on the information on it in an immoral way is.

As it happens, I have a massive DVD collection. Which is only going to get bigger, I am merely interested in how to go about doing this as I'm asked about it a lot, much the same as the first time I learned how to rip CD to MP3 all those years back, and promptly never did it again. Besides, I couldn't watch a movie on a PC (unless it was a 21" monitor which I don't have). I tried that with VCD's before and just couldn't get used to it. I don't reckon I'm alone there.

but remember you should only convert home movies you've recored onto a dvd

Indeed, however, I don't think I'd want Dave does Donegal immortalised on DVD !

A very high quality 110 minute film I ripped resulted in a file just shy of one gig in size.

Now, this was VERY high quality... 192kbps MP3 audio stream and a 2 meg a second (IIRC) video stream. A high quality 100 minute film should end up around 700-750 megs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I also recommend Gordian Knot. It works very well with 2-pass DivX 4 encoding.

I encoded a 2 hr film, very high quality - finished up at 697mb. Ask flamegrill about the quality if you don't believe me :D

The 2-pass method will give you increased quality, but generally takes twice as long to encode as a single-pass, but it's worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement