Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 30-01-2001 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

ok im 17 and bored to hell with school, i really want to get into webdev at the moment i know html,css,js,dhtml,xml,wml,cfml,asp,vb and sql my sql and asp wouldnt be the best but i know how to do the basic stuff the only db i really have a lot of expierence with is access and a little mysql. like i said im bored to hell with school and am thinking about maybe getting a job at a webdev company now of course saying i know these things wont get me a job pretty soon 2 sites which i did myself will be going live (damnyanks.com/blerm.com) would these do as proof that i know how to do what i say? would there be any course which would let a company see that i know what im doing and is there a hope in hell of me getting a job withoug my lc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'm sure Mc Donalds would take you on with those skills and no LC.

Seriously.

You should stay in school and do your leaving cert. If you are in sixth year you have only a couple of months left why throw all the work you have done away? Even if your only fifth year and year and a half is not that long when you look at.

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

ive been feeling like this since 4th year and am now in 5th i just cant stand school its really really boring, i would rather do it part time and get a job even if it was in mcdonalds but i wouldnt see much point in that because i work in a pub making more money than they would. i remember sending in a application for a job at webfactory when they were looking for html/js coders at thattime i knew more or less everything i know now and the response was that they werent looking for anyone with those skills of course i pointed out on there site they were looking for someone with those skills but they never replied wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Because you haven't finished school yet. It doesn't matter how good your skillset is, you will NOT get a decent job without a leaving cert. Of course you're bored with school, this is called "being a teenager", but you have to stick with it. Trust me, it's worth it, if only for the experience of sticking with something you hate - there'll be plenty of times in employment when you find yourself bored of what you're doing, and you have to stick with it then too. That's part of the reason why employers won't touch school drop-outs with a barge pole - if you couldn't stick school out, the chances are you're not going to stick a job out when the going gets rough either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I felt that way from 1st year! smile.gif

You should finish school and probably think about college too. If anything college is more boring than school but most people enjoy it a hell of a lot more. (me is hella irresponisble) just look at the thread by RachelFarrow if you don't beleiver me smile.gif

The sad fact is that once you have two years experience people will be begging to hire you, but even if every IT company out there is short-staffed, it's still hard to get your foot in the door, without some sort of qualification.

Most college comuting courses, apart from giving you a recognised qualification, will also give you a wide range of skills to build your career on. If you take a job as a web developer now, that's probably all you'll ever be unless you do a night course or something. I know some people doing night courses and they are not happy bunnys. The demands on your time are high and god help you if you wanted a social life or a relationship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I agree with the above comments. Companies, esp. multi-nats don't care how good/talented you are, they always look at qualifications as a hiring guide.
    Still, going to college meant the hardest 8 weeks I worked ( during the 4 years there smile.gif ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I say stay in school get your leaving and goto college. College is a hell of alot nicer than school ever is. Easy going and all that malarky. Then perfect your skillset with proper college material. You'll kick yourself in five years time when college grads are walking into jobs you know you could do better simply based on their qualifications.

.logic.

logic-logo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

good advice from the lads but possibly not what he wants to hear...

well tough its all common sense and you pretty much have to do it if you want a good job.

well i would do a plc/fas or training course if i had to but i guess i may as well try and finish school ive planned my way to get out of tomorrow(friday) half day monday and no school tuesday thats the only real thing ive learned from school, always think ahead oh yeah would you say i would have a chance of getting a summer job at some web design place im not lazy i just hate school i started a job when i was 14 and stilll work there and you get bored at work you get payed for it you get bored at school and ur wasting your time

[This message has been edited by damnyanks (edited 01-02-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭[fist]de_psIRE

it may not be what he wanted to hear but its true. Without the Leaving Cert u r ruling yr self out of a job in 90% of large office based companies. I know from experience, I gave up on school believing the Leaving was pointless as all it would get me was into an IT course which would be years behind what I knew.

2 years l8er Im glad my parents bribed me into doin the Leaving (I got 590/600 :P) coz I still dropped out of a crap course in UCD as I knew i would but know Ive found a course I really, really want to do and getting in is no problem coz I have the points. YIPPEEE!!!!

My point is dont burn any bridges or reduce yr options at 17, It aint good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [fist]de_psIRE:
    it may not be what he wanted to hear but its true. Without the Leaving Cert u r ruling yr self out of a job in 90% of large office based companies. </font>

Leaving cert don't mean dick except starting off. I never sat it. I had problems at first getting a job (had to start with work experience), but after 3-4 years away from your leaving cert your average employee could give a rats ass that you got an A in art and home eck for the leaving. smile.gif

Of course if your stupid and just know how to study then go for the leaving cert option instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

my god.
    how could ppl not want to go to college?

"rag week"

jesus get some lives.

you dont want to be stuck in some **** job after leaving school early for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Why would anybody want to go into a serious job at 17? All those deadlines and pressure, why bother?

Go to college and do some IT course (it may be beneath you but it will open doors for you and you will learn new things).

You will have a ****load of spare time for webdev in college; get involved with the right societies and you could spend most of your time on web projects if you want, without the pressure that comes with a professional job.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ok - there is no arguement here - YOU MUST GO TO COLLEGE!!!

If only for the drinking, the partying, the drinking, the women, the drinking and the parties wink.gif

College is such a great buzz and is a great experience for anyone!

Go for it man - stick with school and do the Leaving Cert cause lots of employers won't even bother if they don't see a mention of a Leaving Cert on a CV.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

While it's possible to get a good job on experience and skill alone, it's stupid to throw away the extra possibilites available with a LC, and preferably a degree or at least a cert/diploma of some sort. You might have l33t vb, sql, xml, etc skills already, but in the eyes of an employer, a college graduate will be a safer bet - more all-round knowledge, more likely to be able to adapt to changes, and a guarantee that they know the entire course/language/whatever, and not just the outstanding bits.

ok looks like i have to stay in school anyway but i dont need to goto college just to get drunk i do that good enough at the moment as for girls yup i go over and impress them with my asp skills smile.gif looks like im doin it sort of part time although the ppl come to me looking for sites to be done wont pay 50 an hour cheap skates =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you do not go to college, you will find it hard to move out of your pay bracket. You will be stuck being payed the same amount of money for quite a while.

Whilst you probably think you know everything about computers, you really should do a course in college to get a formal approach to programming. If you are that interested in computers/programming etc, I am surprised that you don't actually want to do a college course, simply to learn more ?

Doing your leaving is one extra year out of your life. Don't do it and you will be paying for it with a lot more than one year..

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

the main thing you want to do now is just get your LC, fair enuff it dont mean jack **** when you get in the real world but it gives you a choice whether you want to go to college or work full time.

at the moment im out of college cause i got sick of it (yeh dats right) i took a year out and now im working full time with a very *cough* decent company smile.gif the main thing though is that i will go back to college this sept cause im starting to miss all those college things...

do your leaving cert and then decide what you wanna do. thats my advice.

adnans

[This message has been edited by adnans (edited 16-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

College is probably the best time you'll have in your life. Sure you may think the lecturers are dumb but find s reasonable course and you'll have a great time.

College is a lot easier than school, and there's a lot less pressure, I wouldn't give up college for the world. I've met people who will un-doubtedly be friends for life.

Also if you get involved in clubs and societites you meet loads of cool people and basically just develop socially. College will make you a more broad minded person IMHO, and not something you should miss out on.

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You may feel as though you missed out on something good for the rest of your life. You probably feel right now as though you would like to move away from the academic side of things, but it is totally different in college because you are actually studying something that you have an interest in.

Make sure that this is not *fear* making you consider leaving school - fear of the leaving cert, or fear that you won't make it to college. because it is not as hard as you might think if you are in the right mindset. alot of people get beaten by the LC - don't be another one of them. you'll regret it eventually, i imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I didn't go to college, and now I seriously regret not doing so. All those loose chix, all that cheaper beer. The real world sucks man, STAY IN SCHOOL!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
Advertisement