Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80 % broadband penetration in S.Korea

Options
  • 19-07-2002 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I love comparing and contrasting, so check this out from Nua Internet Surveys......

Over 80 percent of households in South Korea will have broadband access by the end of 2002, reports Korea Times.

This is according to a new report from the Ministry of Communication and Information.

Broadband Internet penetration reached 9.21 million homes at the end of June, equivalent to 64 percent of all households in South Korea.

The number of broadband subscribers in the country rose by 430,000 during the month of June and if the current growth rate continues over 10 million homes will have broadband access by the end of the year.

However, the Ministry indicates that there is still a gap in penetration between urban and rural areas.

Inchon is the most wired region in South Korea with nearly 75 percent of the population hooked up to the broadband network.

ends

Now, what's the rate for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well listen to this...here is some rant analysis

according to another thread -- so far eircon has 1000 or so connections, now listen 1000 from a population of 4 million

south korea get 430,000 in JUNE, yep people that is in one month (ok it was the world cup, but i dont think yahoo's show was that fecking good!)

1000 , 430,000 in june
    1000 , 430,000 in june

think about that for a while, 430,000, think infrastructure, think connections think 'what a shower of ****ing muppets we have'

is telecon eireann saying that s korea has made a fundemental mistake getting 75% market penetration....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm really beginning to think that we'll be a laughing stock within a few months... Unless Eircom can save us...? *silence* ...Yeah, that's what I thought. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

We already are the laughing stock, at least according to my overseas business associates.

And as I've stated previously, I am most likely going to move my business outside of Ireland shortly unless things change rapidly in terms of access to communications technology. Why? The overheads here are simply too high, even for ISDN. As sad as it is, I won't be able to afford to stay here for much longer.

Of course the businesses who are here simply for tax reasons will stay. Those aren't very stable though, as has been pointed out in a previous thread. So in other words, if worldwide economic conditions change (and it looks like they might!), the government will be left with almost nothing at all -- because there won't be any foundations on the house of cards that has been built.

PS: And it really gives me great confidence to know that the department of communication's main concern appears to be whether a certain body should be allowed to sell a certain game to a satellite TV company, which by the way is not even pay per view, as was reported in the beginning. And this so-called Free-To-Air TV is actually not free at all. At least it wasn't when I paid my TV license, but perhaps that has changed and we don't need to pay for it anymore. In short, the dep. should sort out their priorities now, before the economy goes down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I wonder if you could get away with refusing to pay the licence from now on on the grounds of what has been said.

It would be a tidy saving if you could. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

LOL :D

But in reality, at the rate that RTE are requesting license fee increases, this "free" TV will soon be more expensive than Sky (or is it already?). And it's not even digital yet. :rolleyes:

Back to the Internet, I'm at the moment helping to compile an index of actual internet usage (people who don't just have the possibility of connecting to the Internet, but who actually use it). In this, the only country worse than Ireland is Brazil (of the 30 or so countries that were on the list).

• Advertisement
Advertisement