Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Hundred Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection Immediately

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

This should be in the humour section.
    I've never seen such a blatantly funny attempt to flame people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

well i wont be left with much of a cd collection but that is damn funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

its meant to be funny?
    what a pile of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Their arguments just don't work, it's too much down to personal taste (e.g. "Andy Warhol" is just one of the worst songs ever" - I think it's feckin' brilliant meself). The "Sacred Cows" column in Uncut does this kind of thing far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I am sick to the back teeth of people telling me what music to listen too and why X is uncool cos Y don't compromise themeseves for the dollar!. I own a lot of albums and some I like and some are crap but most have at least one song that I like.
    I'll have what I like to listen to in my collection.

rant over!!

On saying all that - totally agree with the Alicia Keys comment!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

OMG this is such bull****!!!

Melloncollie?
    You've got to be ****ing kidding me!!!
    This list blows.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Actually, I found some interesting points raised there. Some mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It. Is. A. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    It. Is. A. Joke.

They should just rephrase it as 'the 100 'classic' albums of the 10 years according to large groups of people - so lets take a cheap pop at them to annoy the biggest possible target group list' ... but then wouldn't roll off the tonuge as easily I guess?

Everyones entitled to their opinion , I wouldn't get annoyed about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

He's just pissed off because most of these albums have become too "cool" nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

WOW!!!!!!!!! TAHTS HILLLARY US, TEH FUNNYSZZ

I rest my case your honour,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    OMG this is such bull****!!!

Melloncollie?
    You've got to be ****ing kidding me!!!
    This list blows.

/me yells: "I agree with him!"

(Angelwhore not the list guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

It. Is. A. Joke.

And once more with feeling....
    It. Is. A. Joke.

(I was suprised at how many album i agreed with him on tho. Melloncollie being one of the main ones.)

I was suprised at how many album i agreed with him on tho. Melloncollie being one of the main ones.)

Care to explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

it's a fvcking joke.. jesus i can't believe how many people reacted like this and took it so seriously. i thought it was hilarious when yellum first showed it to me, and i'm a huge fan of a lot of the stuff (i'm fanatical about the pumpkins, and i really like the beastie boys - they rip the piss out of all the good beastie boys albums and don't go near their ridiculous old-school debut which i thought was funny)

get a life you ignorant twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Kopf
    it's a fvcking joke.. jesus i can't believe how many people reacted like this and took it so seriously. i thought it was hilarious when yellum first showed it to me, and i'm a huge fan of a lot of the stuff (i'm fanatical about the pumpkins, and i really like the beastie boys - they rip the piss out of all the good beastie boys albums and don't go near their ridiculous old-school debut which i thought was funny)

get a life you ignorant twats.

Jeez! No ****?

The overall theme of the article is obviously that of a piss-take but the opinions on individual albums could easily be real. I for one agree with many of those reviews and have conversed with people who thought likewise about a multitude of those albums.

Just because you can't get your small mind around the idea of someone actually lambasting a band like the pumpkins (for example) doesn't mean it wasn't a heartfelt opinion that should be written off as a 'piss-take'.

So why don't you just ****-off and add some more ripped CD's to your 'collection' you cheap-assed idiot.

you go from:
    Originally posted by Pigman

The overall theme of the article is obviously that of a piss-take

to

Just because you can't get your small mind around the idea of someone actually lambasting a band like the pumpkins (for example) doesn't mean it wasn't a heartfelt opinion that should be written off as a 'piss-take'.

which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by darthmise

Care to explain why?

Because its pompous, hackneyed and about an hour too long.
    A classic example of a band believing thier own hype and overreaching themselves.
    While admittedly nowhere near as embaressing as Use Your Illusion and featuring a few really great songs, overall the album collapes under the weight of its own importance (not to mention filler tracks).

But thats off topic.

Originally posted by Kopf

which is it?

Overall article = piss-take
    Individual album reviews = true

It's like me telling you that I think you're ignorant (true), boring (true), tiresome (true) and that because of that I'd really like to be you (piss-take).

Hope that cleared it up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i saw nirvana - nevermind , then i stopped reading because i was afraid of what else i`d see , considering i love that album to bits!

Originally posted by Pigman

Overall article = piss-take
    Individual album reviews = true

If that's the view you want to take on it.. I think the individual album reviews aren't meant to be separated from the overall article (they are, really, the same thing..) and it's all a piss take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Whether its a piss take or not, sometimes people just dont like things that you like. Get over it.

Originally posted by Dustaz

Because its pompous, hackneyed and about an hour too long.
    A classic example of a band believing thier own hype and overreaching themselves.
    While admittedly nowhere near as embaressing as Use Your Illusion and featuring a few really great songs, overall the album collapes under the weight of its own importance (not to mention filler tracks).

Its been well discussed whether or not it would have been a better album if it was reduced to 12-14 tracks.
    But it doesn't fail solely on the basis that its a 28 track album. Yeah sure there's weak songs on it, and if the album is not your type of music, fair enough, but i don't think people should hold the size of the album (or Billy Corgan's Ego) against it. The guys an amazing musician. He practically made Siamese Dreams himself, played drums bass, the lot.

I'm not objecting to your taste in music. I can't. But you can't fail an album on a principal like its pompous (too big), unless you feel the songs are pompous, which i'm sure you will say you will.

And i don't think they overreached themselves cause it sold more than their other albums afaik. Not that sales dictate an albums quality...

Originally posted by darthmise

He practically made Siamese Dreams himself, played drums bass, the lot.

Just to correct you there, he actually didn't play drums (although he played all the other instruments featured on the album including sitar). Jimmy (the drummer) was going through a very hard time at that time in terms of his heroin addiction and wouldn't turn up for practise or recording sessions for weeks on end, but he did play the drums on the album.

Can you imagine billy playing the drums for geek usa or silverfvck? i think not ;)

Of course, i knew that...,
    I just wanted to weed out the whos whos here, ye know, see who knows their ****.
    Played Kopf...., played.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oops, sceptre has most of those.

Agree with Dustaz though - Meloncollie is about an hour too long. Suffers in the same way the Beatles' White album does - great songs, would be a real classic if they chopped half of it away.

Advertisement