Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56k connectivity help please

Options
  • 19-07-2002 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I know Ive posted this before- but to cut a long story short here's what happened. I used to normally connect at 44Kbps or 45.2Kbps - my neighbour who had one single analogue line got an ISDN line and the day he got his installed my connection speeds dropped down to 28.8Kbps or 32Kbps- never more. Constant calls to Eircom yielded no results- I finally got a technician to call out who did the signal test and told me everything was okay. I asked him if eircom installed a Dacs box onto my line, and he told me that they hadnt and it was a physical line going to the exchange. He pointed out, however, that I may be experiencing slow speeds because of my 50ft. telephone cable running from the socket to the computer. I bought a new cable- no results. I then moved my computer near the socket itself and connected using a 1.5ft long cable- still 32Kbps. Now he's touting ISDN- eircom says I wont be getting ADSL until the summer of 2003. My neighbour enjoys 8K/sec download speeds on his new ISDN modem while Im stuck with 2-3K/sec. Id get ISDN except IOL No Limits doesnt support it. But (and this question invites the most controversy) What if I got ISDN installed- but used the analogue port to connect to IOL No Limits- would I get better speeds- like say (anything over 45Kbps) or would I be stuck with my slow connection.

It's beginning to piss me off that eircom keeps saying its not their fault. The internet is so painstainkingly slow :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Synkronite
    He pointed out, however, that I may be experiencing slow speeds because of my 50ft. telephone cable running from the socket to the computer.

I shagged up a socket using a long cable once, (it was getting pulled by people catching their feet in it.) See if replacing the socket helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you've joined those of us that have had our lines split by eircom.

It's possible that the cabling wasn't available in your area so eircom split one or two lines to make up one single one for their ISDN. Short of ordering ISDN yourself there really nothing you can do about it. Sorry :(

(I know you said that you asked if he had dacsed your line but technically it's its true that he hasn't. Operators like BT in england use the dacs method but officially eircom don't "Dacs" lines to split them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I recently got isdn, i kept my modem installed and dialed up through the box just for the laugh to see if i might connect any faster, i can no longer connect past 28,000 bps, what will happen if i decide one day i dont want isdn, im stuck connecting at this speed.........

Vive La Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Thanks for your help- looks like I have no other option but to get a 64K line installed from Chorus (I wonder though if its ISDN- cos it's a normal analogue line - ie, no special box - I could be wrong though maybe ISDN does come without it).

Chorus phone lines by default are 32Kbit lines but can be upgraded to 64Kbit on request. I get it installed and down for free so I decided why not :)

Now only to get No Limits to change my number over (their rep spoke to me for a good half hour discussing how although people expect internet packages out in September- Esat BT Marketing personally won't introduce anything new until December when the weather is 'bad' and customers spend more time at home).

*fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Esat BT Marketing personally won't introduce anything new until December when the weather is 'bad' and customers spend more time at home
    why wait till December. the weather is due to be very poor soon

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Family Guy Quote:
    I's Gon' Rain!!!

Advertisement