Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chest pains

• 19-07-2002 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Heya, having a bit of trouble, atm (past week or so) ive been experiencing some chest pains (not terrible but VERY noticable, bit like a punch in the chest but lasting an hour or so)

I'm 18, quiet active and i do the gym twice a week as well as playing quiet a bit of rugby (but in the off time all i do is sit at a computer & nothing else, not really a socialite).

I'm currently about 18 stone(5ft 10" tall) so im quiet overweight but am fit just the same (would be classed as fit in rugby standards anyway, and a match would be no bother to me)

Basically im just wondering is this at all common, ie is there an explaination besides a bloody heart attack. Cheers for any insight you can give me.

Anon (sorry about anon but must for fear of micky taking etc)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

you need to get to a doctor...this shouldnt be taken lightly...these pains that persist are a warning that something is wrong or will be worng in the near future...If its been happening for a while, we can rule out heart burn, that doesnt generally last for days...call up a doc for advice if you cant make it to one, just explaining your condition can give them a little idea of what may be happening.
    I had a heart attack at the ripe ol age of 21, and I am not unhealthy or obese...it happened about a week after I visited a doctor and he told me my heart rate seemed irregular, before I could get in for tests, boom. I have had every kind of test you can imagine since then, they cant seem to find anything abnormal to be the cause, blame it on the amount of stress I was under at the time. Every now and then I experience a bit of pain and danger signs, I have learned to control it...Still have to be careful though.
    Are you under a lot of stress? changed your diet recently? taking any kind of pills?
    Call your dcotor now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Sounds to me like you didn't stretch properly before lifting weights or that you lifted too heavy a weight that your body wasn't able for.
    Right now I have a chest pain caused by lifting too heavy a weight while doing a Flye lift. Trust me just lower the amount you lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

D-gen, good point about the weights but i am quiet experienced in the ways of the gym and generally only do running, and light weights to keep my strength up.

Beat;
    Are you under a lot of stress? changed your diet recently? taking any kind of pills?

no none of the above (zero street as im not working and am at home playing vid games all day and night :) and no pills, hell i dont even drink, last drink about 14 months ago)

Personally i am very worried tis a heart attack, but beat you said about controlling it ? what you mean ? the doctor isnt really an option unless i collaspe cause frankly i hate them

Any info is appreciated :) thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

its an ungodly hour to respond, I will get back to you after I have had some sleep...I still suggest you atleast call for medical advice, you may not be as lucky as I was...this is serious, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

As BEAT said, go see a doctor, don't ask a bunch of non-medical strangers for their opinion, it's YOUR health after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Umm... do you smoke? I guess you probably didnt.

I hate hairdressers I do, I really really hate sitting in that chair watching someone prod and poke my head and snip snip bits here and there. I don't go to hairdressers anymore I go to my Bic razor.

I hate going to doctors I do. Unfortunately - they can keep me alive so I have to go sometimes.

Go to a feckin doctor mate! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I had more or less the same as what you discribed and am around the same age (17) the doctor told me that the risk of heart diasese was very slight and told me i had 'Infalmation of the Inter-costal cartalage' he told me to take an anti-inflamatory and come back if problom persists. I think i will go back 'cause it is not going away and i forgot to tell him i had pain in my left arm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Is it in and around your heart or in your lungs?

When do you usually get it?

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by smiles
    Is it in and around your heart or in your lungs?

When do you usually get it?

<< Fio >>

I get i all across my chest and around my heart . I have to lean over and press my chest.

Sometimes i get it after eating but most of the time it just comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Kappar

I get i all across my chest and around my heart . I have to lean over and press my chest.

Sometimes i get it after eating but most of the time it just comes on.

I had a sharp pain on the left side of my chest which started yesterday. It felt worse today so I went to the doctor.
    It turns out that I have a viral infection, and my chest muscles are inflamed (as well as my throat,and I've congestion in my head). I feel better to know that. As the doctor said to me, if you have chest pains, it's always better to get it checked out, though it's usually something else. So go to the doctor,99.99% you'll feel relieved when you leave.
    I'm a bit annoyed, cos a wisdom tooth op I was having tomorrow has to be postponed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

could be a slight heart murmur, i got one and the odd times i get pains just below my heart.

Seriously tho, gho to a doctor andtalk to him for a general check up, whats the harm? and it'll give you some peace of mind!

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i had chest pain about 6 months ago, and i had it for about a month. along the top of my left shoulder and arm and across the left of my chest.
    as you can imagine thats not the nicest of feelings, i kept thinking i was going to have a heart attack at any point :)

but i found out that iwas the way i was lying in bed, it was causing me to just strain the tendons in my shoulder as i slept on it.
    i just learn to sleep on the other side, or on my back, and its sorted itself out.

just something else to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I suffered chest pains in February this year.

I left them, and it began to feel like I had been impaled on a large spear running through my right rib cage and into my right shoulder.

I had pleurisy.

Go to the doctor.

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    I suffered chest pains in February this year.

I left them, and it began to feel like I had been impaled on a large spear running through my right rib cage and into my right shoulder.

I had pleurisy.

Go to the doctor.

Yip
    thats one of the things the doctor mentioned to me, but the symptons wern't quite rght
    anyway-just go to the doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I remember being at the auditions for my band, I was holding the guitar for a few hours, anyone who was there would remember me complaining about severe pains in my chest along the left hand side. I think it was just from the weight of the guitar strap.

Slaan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmm, first time replying to this board. Take everyone elses avice, go to the doctor. However I think you can rule out a heart attack..... you're a bit young for that, and like you say you are fit etc (fair enough you might be 18 stone, but if you are fit well then you shouldnt be getting those pains. It might be high blood pressure (If it happens after doing something energetic) Or else it might just be a pulled chest mussle. Go to the doctor, if its causing you uncomfort well surely it would be better o get it checked out.

John

Had something similar myslef ages ago about the 18 mark which is a few years ago now but anyway didnt go to the doc as i am a tigh bastard. what i had was a tigh pain all across my chest and i had it for about a year or so. it was sore when it came maybe once or twice a day. that followed with pains down my arms. all this went away and now all i have is a ****ed up hip at 21 basically when i walk it clicks doc dont know whats wrong with it but its very annoying had that for 3 years its kinda going now though. i wouldnt call myself a small person i am 6"2 and about 11-12 stone dont really weigh myself tbh. fairly fit and all that. so i think it may have been from over use or the fact i smoked and drank alot when i was younger not that ive stopped mind you just cut back. even though my fater has cancer and heart problems and my bother is much the same as are most of my aunts and uncles.

I was very fit to say the least i trained everynight of the week and sunday morning as well each session lasted about 2-3 hours mainly running and exercising stretches etc. i played for 4 teams 2 hurling 2 football with my club and 2 teams with my school.

I have since given up sport due to lack of time and interest but i will go back when i get the time.

if it makes you feel better id say go to doc. ease the mind and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CubeMistress

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Heya, having a bit of trouble, atm (past week or so) ive been experiencing some chest pains (not terrible but VERY noticable, bit like a punch in the chest but lasting an hour or so)

I'm 18, quiet active and i do the gym twice a week as well as playing quiet a bit of rugby (but in the off time all i do is sit at a computer & nothing else, not really a socialite).

I'm currently about 18 stone(5ft 10" tall) so im quiet overweight but am fit just the same (would be classed as fit in rugby standards anyway, and a match would be no bother to me)

Basically im just wondering is this at all common, ie is there an explaination besides a bloody heart attack. Cheers for any insight you can give me.

Anon (sorry about anon but must for fear of micky taking etc)

Well Hi there mate I was getting Chest pains for 3 and a half years nagged and nagged the doctor's they could'nt tell me what it was then I joined up with a new surgery and went back to complain again and he told me it was A very mild version of asthma and I am now on a 2 pump system and since then it has eased it a lot and I hardly get them now So I would definetly go and see the doctor and you never know he might beable to solve yours as he solve mine

Well good luck to you and hope you sort it out cause I know it is not nice ........:)

The solution is:
    Get up off your lazy arses and do some exercise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

There could be a number of causes here Unreg- the important thing is to approach it in a relaxed fashion. The key is whether the pain spreads at times to the left side of your chest or the point of your left shoulder. If so, it's referred pain indicative of a coronary condition. Acute pain of this nature is usually a precondition of coronary blockage, which can lead to cardiac arrest- or myocardial infarction (heart attack). I say this not to alarm you or anyone else- but so that everyone can recognize the signs & symptoms of a heart attack & know how to help someone who might be suffering them. Every second can make a difference sometimes. In your case however, I doubt that this is the case- you're young, and seem to lead an active existence.

If you have chest-pain plus a burning sensation in the upper gut/esophagus (heart-burn)- a good bit of advice is to avoid sleeping on a full stomach, particularly after a heavy meal. That tends to foul digestion, slow enzyme release and promote excessive gastric acid release/ulceration. Your body may use HCl for digestion, but overproduce it and the consequences are painful.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of an acute congenital coronary condition. In other words, a hole in the heart, or a cardiac defect which manifests late. Uncommon, but hardly unheard of.

The only way to make sure is to get yourself to a cardiologist's clinic, and undergo a varied-condition ECG test. Your consultant may ask you to run on a treadmill, or undergo testing whilst doing isometrics, just to test the conditions for pain. Feel free to PM me with questions or concerns Unreg, about this or other condition you are having trouble with.

Occy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

My mouth is swollen like a grapefruit on one side and it pulsates this pain through my head and sends shooting pains to the middle of my brain! One of my teeth feels like it's pushing it's way through my jawbone and it bleeds from time to time, I haven't slept in 3weeks due to the pulsating and nobody likes me because my face is distorted making me stand out slightly more than usual, should I go see a dentist :rolleyes:

prognosis

Go see a fkin Doctor! :p

Wrong Dunc- sounds like an inverting molar or a cavity- go see a bloody dentist, particularly if you're bleeding from the edges of your gums without provocation. Possibly a cavity along with a bit of gum disease. Btw, general advice for everyone: cigarette smoking has been conclusively linked to gingivitis and other forms of gum disease. If you feel you must light up, get your head examined. If you still feel the need to destroy lung tissue with carcinogenic tar, increase your dietary intake of ascorbic acid/Vit C. B-complex to supplement if you think your diet is poor :p

Occy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oooh, it sure is exciting having a real life (tm) doctor on the PI board!

Dunno about the real-life part ;) but only so much that can be done over an internet board for diagnostic care anyway. Healthy living & keeping oneself informed though? There's where the internet really has an outstanding role to play in public health. Go to official sites, read public commentary on things- can be really helpful at times :) Still, if anyone needs a word of advice on (serious) stuff, feel free to PM

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

most plausible answer: death is after you.

exact symptoms i had before i was diagnosed with a collapsed lung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was it on purpose ya blew your cover there m8 ?

Go see a doctor, I hate the f**kers too but unfortunately we have to go sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

Are you perhaps worried about anything? Sometimes chest pains can be an indication of panic attacks and the more you worry about it the more you get.

I had bad depression a few years ago and i was also getting chest pains and my doctor told me i was experiencing a panic attack where as i though i was having a heart attack!

Advertisement