Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question about Raid

• 19-07-2002 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

If i get a raid motherboard will it affect(positivly) my on the fly cd burning. If i connect the cr writher and the dvd to seperate ide channels will it speed the burning up as each isn't on the same channel any more??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Yes, with a caveat.

As most RAID controllers don't officially support ATAPI devices (like CD writers and DVD drives) on their channels, you'll need to connect up your hard-drives to the RAID controllers IDE channels, and connect the CD writer and DVD drive to seperate IDE channels on your motherboards main IDE channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`ve an Abit th7 Raid mobo and put my cdr and dvd on the Primary master + secondary master, and boot from the Raid drive. Works grand, if you want more info gimme a pm or a shout round Dundalk.

Also for copying games on the fly i always burn at 4x as i was having bad burns on 8x(8x burner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    If i connect the cr writher and the dvd to seperate ide channels will it speed the burning up as each isn't on the same channel any more??
    Regardless of RAID, this helps a lot; some CD Burning software (such as the excellent Nero Burning ROM) actually warn you about this.

As Justhalf pointed out, most RAID controllers don't recognise optical drives as there's little point in trying to RAID them anyway. If I were you, I'd suggest something like the following:

Primary HDD (the one you boot from) as Primary Master
    DVD-ROM as Primary Slave
    CD-RW as Secondary Master

To be honest, though, if you're willing to throw money at this problem, you're better off picking up a cheap burn-proof CD-RW (i.e. one that can deal with temporary glitches in data transfer) than bothering with a RAID motherboard; you'll get better results every time. This , for example, is a lovely 40x read/12x rewrite/40x write LG model with an 8MB buffer and a burn-proof type system. It even comes with a copy of Nero, for E77.00 all-in.

Hope this helps.
    Gadget

Advertisement