Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Drums

Options
  • 19-07-2002 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hello kind people, I've been playingthe guitar for nearly 2 years and I'd say I'm a pretty average player. Thing is, I've been in a band, and we've had a lot of trouble finding a drummer. I've messed around on drums in Rehearsal Studios and that. I now know the basics, can play a few beats (Nothing special). I was considering buying a kit, nothing too expensive though. Would anyone recommend any do's/donts as far as buying is concerned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

He pretty much learned the drums by himself and hes really good, lets say hes better on drums than i am on guitar both of us learned on our own..

Well anyway he bought some drums stuff in the us for less than half the price it is here, so thats all i can really recommed.

Plus atm the euro = the us dollar so its a good time to buy stuff from the us try looking for music shops online that will deliver here or take a trip there
    or if u have relations get them to send it over

Anyway talk to some drummers, they'll know the expensive kits u should stay away from as your just paying for the name..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thanks a lot, i appreciate it. I have a friend going to america in a couple of weeks maybe he could get me something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Get a second hand pearl from the buy and sell €500 will get you a decent kit, with cymbals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Just buy a small starter kit and learn how to play it. I played a Honer kit for like 3 years.
    It did sound terrible, however I thought it sounded great at the time.
    Now I have a Pearl Masters kit, but I can also "play" drums at a much higher level to.

Try a kit make called "Striker" they are totally basic stuff and pretty cheap all good for learning drums on.

Another option is a Practice Kit that Pearl produce. It called the "Rhythm Traveler"
    rtfront.jpg
    rtcompact.jpgrtlivesm.jpgrtsilent_sm.jpg
    It has this silent feature on it to so you can practice even when it's late at night.

If you wanna ask me anything just pm me.
    Try these links for more info on drums etc.....

Pearl Rhythm Traveler
    Irish Drum Academy
    Modern Drummer

Originally posted by DrummerBoy
    Now I have a Pearl Masters kit, but I can also "play" drums at a much higher level to.

What does that mean exactly? No... I'm not being smart, seriously?

Why don't you teach drummerboy... you seem to be well accomplished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

that's pretty cool.

I'm actually had the exact same idea. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and I figured that's I'd like to learn the drums. I've been looking in Buy and Sell for a week or two but everthing I spotted was gone when I rang up about them.

What's this rhythm traveller drum kit? How much is it? I went into Music Maker (shudder!!!) and the drum guy showed me what sounds like the rhythm traveller but I never got the name,. It was about 500 euro.

I really could do with something like that. Dont really want my neightbours/house mates to kill me because of the noise. Is the bass drum even damped?

Diarmuid

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

What does that mean exactly? No... I'm not being smart, seriously?

Why don't you teach drummerboy... you seem to be well accomplished?

I smiply mean that my ability as a drummer has improved over the last few years with practice. I'm am no longer confined to playing 4/4 patterens with the kick on the 1 and 3 and snare on the 2 and 4. (even if this is the "money beat" lol) You're a drummer Dr. Loon so I think you know what I mean.

As for why I don't teach. It comes down to time, of which I seem to have very little to spare. Job, 2 bands etc.
    Although I'd like to start teaching next summer when I finish up at Newpark.
    Originally posted by Diarmuid

I really could do with something like that. Dont really want my neightbours/house mates to kill me because of the noise. Is the bass drum even damped?

Yeah the biggest problem I've had with drums is, you guessed it, The noise level. The Rhythm Traveler comes with these extra skins. They are called "Muffle Heads" and they allow you to silently practice anytime while maintaining the feel of a regular drum head. Same goes for the Bass drum to.
    Personally if I was starting of again I would go for that kit. It doesn't take up to much space. The silent feature gives you so much more practice time.

I hope this has been of some help. Any more questions fire them my way.
    :)

Drummerboy... you got any MP3's or samples of your stuff floatying around? I'd like to listen to your playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

well I went into Music Maker to check out the Pearl Rhythm traveller. They seem to be the only place in town that stocks them. E535 I think is what I was quoted. No stool though. How much do stools normally go for?

Would I be able to pick one up second hand?

Diarmuid

Well it's been a long time since I bought a drum stool. If I remember rightly mine cost about £90punts but it was a pretty good one. I still have it and it still looks and functions like new. You can get them for about 50/60euro new and the price goes up from there. Yes I'm sure you can buy them second hand, Buy & Sell is probably your best bet there.
    I do remember using my computer chair for a while and then a bar stool before getting a real drum throne :D
    Drummerboy... you got any MP3's or samples of your stuff floatying around? I'd like to listen to your playing.

I have nothing that has been recorded in a studio that you could have a listen to. All I have are some mp3's that are about a year and a half old which were recorded on an 8-track recorder. Anyway it's just me messing around with a djembe etc. If you wanna look/listen check out my homepage.

Or.....

You could come and see me play at TBMC on the 22nd of Aug for the Alice in Chains tribute night.
    (shameless plug.....I know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thanks again, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

im just a (CRAP) guitarist and singer in my frends garage band, we started last tuesday, so go figure..... and the drummer started in april or so and he is class now. he is playing in another band which are doing a gig next thursday in portrush, ill put up details here and in rock and metal, they will play metallica covers and pantera an sum other stuff i think. jus shout BOBBAGE! and he will know u know me. you might ask "so what? wow a drummer!" bobbage is 14!!!!!

Advertisement