Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even programmers get the blues

• 14-03-2001 2:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

(From /. )

http://salon.com/tech/feature/2001/03/13/geek_layoffs/index1.html

The gist of the story is the layoffs in Bay area.

How much truth and relevance does this have for us over here?

Is it just the web-guys( e.g. Dav wink.gif ) who will have a problem? (Can the immortal "Real Programmers" look down from their thrones and laugh?)

Do inexperienced grads coming out this year have a serious problem in Dublin?

Answers on the back of a postcard, to the usual address, thanks.

Al.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 14-03-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

interesting article. I don't know what the situation will be like next year. I was doing interviews a month ago for a programming job and had no problem getting one, so I reckon the demand is still there at the moment.
    I'd guess that the demand for people who only have one year conversion courses will drop, but that people with full comp. sci. degrees (or equivalent) will be fine.

[This message has been edited by deRanged (edited 14-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

At the moment there is (and always will be) over demand for programmers. In America though what you must realise is that "programmers" on $70k are literaly computer illitorate mouth pieces. The industry is shapeing up, loosing the dead wood (so called web designers etc,) that have charactorised the hype in industry and driven it in uncreative or dead end directions.

There is and always will be a demand for people that understand computers. The advance of computorisation is non-stop. Down-sizing these days means getting computers to do the job, who programmes, maintains an installs these systems?. The generation of fashion concious air heads that saw the crap film "hackers" and think its cool to be nerds (the people they hated in school funnily enough) are on the way out to dole land, and about time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if youre in mexico, 70k is a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

thats one hella lot of tortillas and fireworks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

>America though what you must realise is that "programmers" on $70k are literaly computer illitorate mouth pieces

Depends on what part of the US you are in. If you are in the mid-west of the US 70K is actually a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

lol

Me thinks I might stop looking for a job I like and just go to a big company and climb the ladder for higher earnings instead smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Economic conditions are getting bad over in America, so the corporate HQs are looking to ditch non-competative units (ie any group that does not return a steady profit). I think that the Irish S/W is going to encounter this reality very soon.

Advertisement