Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health and Safety at Work

• 21-03-2001 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right just a quick question if a piece of equipment in the work place is causing an injury (in this case a chair is causing RSI in the back) do the company have to provide a chair that will counter act this or can they just say they meet requirements and that since no-one else is complaining they will not provide a proper chair?? Does any one have any previous exp of this?? Any info will be helpful (as long as its not a link to http://www.hsa.ie )

kayos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

i had the same problem,
    i now have a different chair from anyone else in the building, altho in my case i just stole one of the chairs from our other building as i had used similar chairs to those before, but had this not been the case i was told a new chair would be got if i needed it

c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dunno about RSI, but I suffered a mild concussion because of a head injury in work just before Christmas and am currently suffering from a very painful back injury caused by recently moving a lot of very heavy equipment to a storage room (we're moving offices at the moment)... I haven't really complained yet, being a little too much of the "ah shur it's grand" ethos... but I can't really put up with too many more physical injuries...!

I'd understand maybe a bit more if I was still in the security job I used to work in where physical exertion and regular moving of heavy objects were the order of the day - hell - it did me good at the time!... but I'm a web developer these days...

ho hum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i used to be a helth and saftey officer and by law, if the chair is causing discofort over a long period of time then yes, they are required to get you a new chair

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's good news Eamo cause Kealan's at home today cause his back is causing so much grief! His doctor said he can get a cert that'll cover him until such a time as work gets him a chair.

In our section of the office, there's 9 people and 5 or 6 of them (myself included) are complaining about the chairs. I want one of them kneeling chairs - they're cheaper than gas-swivel blagh-de-blagh chairs and WAY more comfy to sit on!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

cool so the boss dodn't sound to happy when I told him I wouldn't be in this morning frown.gif any way atm I am using Dav's kneeling chair (cheers dav) and it is very comfy. So time to get a new chair in work me thinks...

Kayos

• Advertisement
Advertisement