Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention Ratios

Options
  • 20-07-2002 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I thought I was going to be getting ADSL but money troubles and line problems have put a damper on that. I was wondering the people that do have ADSL what are the speeds like? I'm asking this because ADSL contention ratios are about 20:1 here in Ireland.

If anyone else is near to you who also has ADSL installed it would affect your upload/download speeds cos your on the same line. So what are the speeds like? And do you know if anyone else near u has it too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

But that could be because they only have 977 subscribers at the moment. Whenever I download a file from anywhere I usually get over close to 50-60KB/Sec even if I only get 32K/sec on a download I can allways browse while I'm waiting for it to download.
    The price is crappy the CAP is a pain but there's no faulting them for performance. At least not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The Contention Ratio is 24:1 in Ireland

If you are downloading at the same time as someone in your area it should not effect you as you have you on Port / Modem in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

thanks for the feedback guys.

Brick what ADSL connection do you have 512 or 1meg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We've the 1 megabit line here in the office, and we've often had downloads of 106 k/sec from sites like ftp.esat.net - its very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

512K caped. Apart from the cap and the outragous price I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'll be happy once I get a meg connection, feic the price! I need the bandwidth... oh yes.

Advertisement