Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to get some transport by September

Options
  • 20-07-2002 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've to get some sort of independent transport quick.
    I'm going to get my provisional liscence soon.
    Thinking of getting a car with the smallest engine I can find for ceheap that has 4 wheels, a roof and a radio.
    Either that or a motorbike.
    Is the insurance cheaper for motorbikes or cars?
    A scooter is out of the question.
    Going to be traveling 10miles each way, every day.
    Any ideas?
    I'm 18 since march, mother is insured under the INTO scheme so i don't think I can get insured under her name unless she changes.
    But she has a 1.6 hyundai lantra, so that's a no-go. and i couldn't use it anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

your gonna get screwed either way for insurance, its easy to buy anything ya just gotta think about that.

Its near impossible for you to get a tiny hair dresser car and be insured on it with out paying loads like 1000's. Your best bet would be to get a vancar type thing, like your normal golf fiesta starlets etc, but with no back seat or back side windows, the insruance is usually just about affordable on this cos you can't carry as many people in theory, leagally etc.

If you want to get a bike make sure you check the group its in and not just go by the engine size, most crusiers are usually group 2 and your lookin at under 2000 insurance.

By the way 10miles on a ped is no distance :) ya just don't wanna be seen on one, admit it! heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

true enough, can't stand the things, and the insurance is apparently high enough cos they get nicked so easily.

I was thinking of getting a van type thing alright.
    Going to go for the lessons and test back in the country side. Hopefully will get lucky whenever it comes up.

Any other tips or stuff to get cheaper insurance?
    My overall aim is, kill or cure, to have a full licence by the time I'm laeving colelge (3 years away from now), cos if I can't drive to work or anything I'm fecked.

If my mother was to get insured on whatever car I get, would it be cheaper, overall, for me to get insured under her name on that car as opposed to getting the car and the insurance all under my own name? Even a rough guess would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Even crap bikes now cost a fortune to insure for 18 year olds in the dublin area. Buy a scooter, rack up a few years NCB and then you can move up to something with more power.

Yes they look stupid, but they are relatively cheap and quicker than cars for busy traffic

I live in Galway :)

A fair bit out the country actually, but with in a 8 minute drive of town.

Going getting the buy&Sell this week, gonna have a look at cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

As the man said.. get a nice cheap group 2 cruiser.. probably a 124 or 250. The insurance wont cost much, a hell of a lot less than it would for a car. Less tax, less petrol, etc.. Sure you'll get awfully wet for a few months every year but you'll get used to that.

In fact... I'm off out for a drive now :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You will never beat the Panzer. Never. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

If u just need it for getting around just buy an old moped insurance for a 18 year old in galway wont be to much and besides u will be saving money getting an old 1.

A moped is out of the question, I'll burn it out and I'm too big for it :)
    I'd get killed on the road.

Any insurance companies ye know of that are decent for young lads? Or that'd even give me a quote?

I'm also told that diesel cars are cheaper to insure, but maintaining them can be hazardous to btoh health and wallet.

Off topic:
    One of my aims in life is to buy a second hand British army surplus Chieftain Main Battle Tank, a maintenance agreement of some sort/shítload of spare parts and loads of diesel. And 40 acres of rough terrain in which to drive said tank.
    Then charge E400 a pop (which by inflation won't be too off the mark by then) and recoup the money.
    They cost about £27,000 atm.

Quinns direct will more than likely be the only company that will insure you on a car and yes diesel cars can be cheaper it all depends on the year of the car, size of the engine and the built in safty features e.g airbags also you may get insured on a car-van cheaper then a normal car thats if u want to stick to a petrol engine.:)

thought it might interest some of ye to hear that I got my renewal form for my bike insurance today :(

First of all, I'm driving a Yamaha XVS 650 A (thats a drag star classic for those of you that arent fluent in bike models)

Started out at €2495 (fully comp)

Got it down to €1490 (third party)

AND finally its now down to €1096 (cos I got a full A license)

Not a bad days work if I do say so myself :D

• Advertisement

Yea thats not to bad considering its a 650cc bike how old are you???

What was the full test like???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

ok, my suggestions are; You're 18 but you are living in Galway which has a lower loading than say Dublin,so the cheapest way for you to get out on the road , is as a name driver under someone else's policy. Your mother drives a 1.6 - so im guessing you'd be approx 1000+ euros to be a name driver on 3rd party cover, but If you bought a diesel/van - with your mother as the main insured, and you as a name driver , it just may be do-able - not many people know, that its possible for some1 to be a main driver on more than 1 car.

Get your mum to get a Quote through a Broker - as they will manage to get you insurance cover , from a company that would otherwise refuse you if you went directly to them (dont ask - tis all politics!).

none of the above is cheap, at your age I walked/cycled/bus'd everywhere up until 21, but as soon as you get your own transport, your life changes for the good IMHO, you get a certain sense of freedom!

Anyhoo Best of luck

Jspeed.Net put Simply Its Honda Heaven

Originally posted by Harmo
    Yea thats not to bad considering its a 650cc bike how old are you???

What was the full test like???

I'm 21

The full test (or at least my full test) was piss easy. It all depends on which tester u get of course. My tester was the most relaxed fella I've met in my entire life.

thats unreal price for insurance, i'm 20 and it cost me a hell of a lot more than that, 600cc wouldnt' get near one insurance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah i have the the standard 650 drag star xvs650, no difference from the classic only the classic looks a bit chunkier...
    anyways like rymus i'm also 21 and after a little shopping around insurance wise i got it from over 2000 euros down to 1400 and i'm still on my provisional A license....must get around to that test in the next few weeks if i can while the weather is in it :)

Originally posted by Eye

anyways like rymus i'm also 21 and after a little shopping around insurance wise i got it from over 2000 euros down to 1400 and i'm still on my provisional A license....must get around to that test in the next few weeks if i can while the weather is in it :)

mmmm how you shop around when their are only 2companies doin cover, i know aoncarbike people get insurance a bit cheaper cos of doin some paperwork themselves but thats about it, where excatly did ya shop around?

Thanks for the advice lads :)

The mother rang up Quinn Direct this morning, got a quote of €4000
    I don't know on what exactly, nor do i know under who's name etc.

I think we know someone in insurancewho might be able to help us out.

Are you saying that i should go for a diesel car before a petrol or vice versa?

I honestly don't care so long as it moves an dhas a radio and space to cart a PC around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

My advice syxpak is getting something really small the cheapest thing to insure that i can think off is a fiat punto van, your 18 which means you won't get commercial insurance and you dont have a full licence (get one ASAP!!!) a full licence can make a difference of about 4 grand on certain models cuz your so young, i got my full licence at 17 best thing i ever done i reckon.

If your bringing a pc around you need a car, i have the same hassle myself and am lookin for insurance on a Nissan 100NX at the moment im 20 and got a quote of 4 grand which is ludicrious i reckon. I work in Quinn Direct myself at the moment - im not in telesales so i cant quote you, but if you have questions i'll do my best to answer...btw group 2 insurance means fu<k all, insurance for me on a 206 group 2 is 3,300 E thats a 1.1 car like!...only another 700 E and i can get insured on a group 5 1600 T-Bar roof sports car....insurance is a joke but without it your fe<ked too!

Btw having a car changes your life completely and its for the better definitley.

Keep between the ditches!

Farlz

Advertisement