Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for sysprog job

• 26-03-2001 6:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Although it's maybe the worst time in 3 years to be graduating, I'm afraid I can't help the timing! Doh! smile.gif

I'm looking for a perm. job in systems programming, asm, C or C++ preferably (Maybe some Java). I don't want any windows development stuff, unix sounds good. I have about 2 years exp. & will grad shortly (end May).

Anyone got any jobs or recommendations for finding something permanent in Dublin? Already applied to Sun. What's the deal with IBM out the motorway? What kinda stuff are they doing out there?

CV at amdsoft.com/cv

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trojan:
    Although it's maybe the worst time in 3 years to be graduating, I'm afraid I can't help the timing! Doh! smile.gif</font>
    Not from what I've heard - £25K apparently is average starting for comp. grads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Draco:
    Not from what I've heard - £25K apparently is average starting for comp. grads...

</font>

lol I dont think so some how 22-25 is the rate for programmers with 2-3 years exp. not for straight out of college peeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Most jobs I see are 19 to 21 grand straight outta college - doubling with 4 years (and rarely rising after that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kayos:
    lol I dont think so some how 22-25 is the rate for programmers with 2-3 years exp. not for straight out of college peeps</font>

Agreed. I'm hoping for around that.

However, the point was that a lot of companies may curb recruitment until they see what the market is going to turn out like, and that's what has me worried, not the money - it's the job I get.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmm I know what you mean about the getting a job part but there are still plenty of jobs out there its just that the ethos of Hiring someone just because they need bodies in the office is out the window. Employers will go back to the good old do you have exp are you any good. I know my company are due to take on a good few Grads this year (my company is small so 3-5 grads counts as a good few) I know you wouldn't be interested Al but any grads who think they might stand a chance Drop me a mail.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers Kayos (ok, so I cant spell your name smile.gif ), I appreciate the info all the same.

Anyone got any jobs in the Java/C++ line? I've a bit of C/asm experience, want to get some OOP. Something UNIXy would be cool.

Advertisement