Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my old Gateway PC

Options
  • 20-07-2002 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Im considering my options of upgrading my old pc,

It s a Gw P I 166mhz
    I am just going to use the case and cd,

Ive been looking at this kit on www.komplett.ie

I know I will have to upgrade my PSU to 400w minium

WIll my Gw case hold this new MOBO ???

Package includes:

SKU 109579 AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.66 GHz 266 MHz bus Socket A (Palomino) processor
    SKU 110828 Cooler Master CPU Fan Socket A/7/FCPGA DP5-7H53F-0C, Up to 1,4GHz and XP2200+
    SKU 109008 DDR-DIMM PC2700 256MB DDR CL2.5 Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)
    SKU 110681 MSI KT3 ULTRA Mainboard for Socket A VIAKT333, ATA/133,sound , ATX, DDR

€329 +VAT + PSU @ €60 max total upgeade price €400 = new system :))

Is there anyone bits ill need, I have a Graphics card, Hdd, Modem, Lan, Sound,

Is there anyone know issues with the above parts? I also have a Os to install on it

I will just be using this system for messing with no gaming really and just networking testing and so on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

your gateway case wont hold that mb. and your modem and lan might not fit onto the board, and if the hd is as old or came with the gateway you'll be dragging a very good system to a snails pace.

You'd get away with a 300w psu which come with most cases, you'd find a case for €60 - €70.

Get a new HD and Case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

I have a new Hdd alright, I'll have a look for a case so, Id perfer a black one to match my new Dell case MIB :)) ,

Should I get anything else?

TEch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by Xithus
    your gateway case wont hold that mb. and your modem and lan might not fit onto the board, and if the hd is as old or came with the gateway you'll be dragging a very good system to a snails pace.

You'd get away with a 300w psu which come with most cases, you'd find a case for €60 - €70.

Get a new HD and Case.

Don't post generalisations. I managed to put an abit bx133-raid into a gateway g5-166 desktop case, didn't require any alterations. I wouldn't say the msi board is any bigger. The gateway tower case is also atx, plenty of people on these boards have upgraded gateway pentium 1 machines while keeping their case. However you may need to drill some holes to get the new psu secured in it.

all that crap or just buy a cheapo case.

Though the gateway case would be of better quality than a cheap case, and look better? What do you mean by "all that crap"? 5 minutes work?

• Advertisement

Im just say'n that if he's gonna buy a psu he may as well buy a new case, there'd be little difference in price bewteen the 2 and he'd get a more than good enough psu with the case.

Id imagine any case would look better than a tatty old gateway p1 case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Gerry

The gateway tower case is also atx, plenty of people on these boards have upgraded gateway pentium 1 machines while keeping their case.

Only the last of their 166 line were ATX. Depends on the motherboard used. Check to see if it has a DIMM slot, if not then it's one of the older BAT models.

Well my case is an ATX Style case so a PSU should do me Id say with the upgrade kit ?

Yeah, well do have a look in the irish computer suppliers for a case also, I'm thinking there may not be that much in the difference, if your case is a desktop it will have a bit of trouble with cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

If your getting a case then it looks like all you are transferring is the CD. So I reckon flog the old box intact and get a new CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

don't flog the P166, you';ll get nothing for it.

Use it as a router or gateway. -you allready ahve a nic and mdoem in it, use it to autodail the conenction - or better if you ahve adsl/cable use it to share the connection round the house - -wouldn't even need mouse, keybaord or monitor once you setup smoothwall on it.

Just buy a new machine.

I have Smoothwall Downloaded, wow I was lucky I didnt try this on my main PC, as it wiped the whole hdd :( I didnt loose abit as I take regular ghost images. respect to GHOST. Is smoothwall only for ADSL or how do I configure it to work, at the moement I have just a NIC in this old pc no modem, As far as I can see it UNIX ??? Im lost can anyone help me?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Spook

some of the gateway cases have a certain design flaw and that is they dont take standard power supplies. they're smaller than the oem psu. a new psu might be too big. if your getting a new case i'd recommend getting one with at least 3 cd rom bays. it gives more room to the pc to breath and you have the option of adding in another cd rom with a space in between for airflow. also another thing is with some "cheap" cases check the inside of the case some have edges that are like razors. you'll end up with more blood on the case than inside your veins.

Advertisement